Carolina Crown 2016

I went to rehearsals today and saw the first 4 minutes. Starts slow and beautiful with Ecstasy of Gold then becomes loud and intense when Medea is mixed in. Brass on side 1, battery on side 2 for a good chunk.

A lot of electronic patches, replacing brake drum and vibraslap. Also have other awesome sound patches like eagle screams and coyote howls. Didn't see any timpani either.

Can't wait to see the rest and how it all comes together.

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see them.

a doctoral dissertation footnote?

really? -- so the good, the bad and the ugly was the probably first public revelation by crown this season. and when they announced their show they listed multiple selections from that soundtrack.

furthermore there have been TBGU quotes on each the whiteboard postings on DCP. in fact i think there was a LINK posted in reference to the quotes at the top of each whiteboard which went to the IMDB TGBU quotes page.

and you don't know it?

somehow i find that hard to believe. id find other motivations far more likely.

I've never seen TGBU. (May be hard to believe, but some people have never even seen Star Wars.) I'm not familiar with any quotes. And I missed the post that linked to them. (May be hard to believe, but some people don't read every single post on every single thread.)

Now... far be it from me to stick up for xandandl, as I think his assertion that prompted your response was a big stretch. But I'm not entirely sure one can assume his motivations either.

GO CROWN!!

• Like 1

Let's get back to talking about Crown today. Can we all agree on that?

I got a chance to swing by ensemble last night. A few thoughts, while trying to be as spoiler free as I can:

1. I would have guessed it would take more than 150 people to spell out #HelenHess spread between the 20's. That's an impressive drill set. Also, maybe the first time a hashtag has appeared in crown drill since they spelled out #spacepants. (Ok, this one's a joke.)

2. In more serious news, I'm super interested to see if that last donor email tidbit is connected to what's happening in the preshow. Because that could end up being really awesome.

3. The level of difficulty from a casual fan perspective seems way high (maybe higher than the last couple of years), especially as the corps is spread out on the field. Some really awesome musical effects, especially in some of the particularly crown-sounding brass runs.

4. I thought the low brass sounded particularly good, and there are some pretty exposed spots for them.

5. The guard has some really nice stuff happening throughout, and more than a few "wow" moments.

6. I have no ability to judge what I'm hearing from the battery, so I can't really say anything about that. The pit seemed to be mic'd differently than I've heard before. Or maybe it was just louder/clearer due to the new soundboard. I think a previous poster mentioned a bunch of interfering samples/environmental sounds.

Overall, I enjoyed watching them out together what they've learned so far, and expect big things if they can really master it. If my schedule slows, I hope to see more sometime next week.

• Like 2

well after watching the forbidden website videos.. LOL that one brass run is quite impressive... can't wait to hear that live!

well after watching the forbidden website videos.. LOL that one brass run is quite impressive... can't wait to hear that live!

Just checked it out. It's going to be a great show!

Edited by Fish