Carolina Crown 2016

So... for a brass guy, can someone tell me if that is impressive or clean? It sounds pretty great to me, but I know nothing of the drumline skillset.

They are playing decently in this clip. Much better than when I saw them last Friday. The faster rolls and paradiddle-diddles are in need of most attention in the snareline. When I saw them they did not break down the rolls to the check pattern which I found a bit odd. Glad to see all 5 basses are there, Bass 3 was not there Friday. Quads sound more cohesive in this, but will need to address some of the same things as the snares.

• Like 1

So... for a brass guy, can someone tell me if that is impressive or clean? It sounds pretty great to me, but I know nothing of the drumline skillset.

Putting sight and sound into perspective, I have a real sense they are well ahead of any battery they've had in their championship-run years. Sound, sight, and swagger, I think it's all there for Crown this year. This is a very smart group as well. At the April camp (their first since the early camps), they knew the music and played like it was early June in spring training. Now that it's almost early June, I have no reason to doubt they will become a real factor in the top percussion lines in 2016. And putting things in perspective, if that's the case, then this will bode well for Crown this year. You know they'll bring the brass, guard, and visual. My goodness, this is going to be a great year!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Sounds about like they did last year at this point when they posted the relatively impressive video of their drum feature.

What I need to see is improvement from San Antonio on. Solid start.

• Like 1

This may be an unfair judgement for such a short clip but that doesn't sound like a heavy book full of notes. The basses sound quite tight but, overall, it's not top-5 calibre writing to my ears. Not gridding rolls and diddles? Maybe this is a new teaching technique - get them moving and playing an "easy" book and then add notes as they build chops. Maybe.

This may be an unfair judgement for such a short clip but that doesn't sound like a heavy book full of notes. The basses sound quite tight but, overall, it's not top-5 calibre writing to my ears. Not gridding rolls and diddles? Maybe this is a new teaching technique - get them moving and playing an "easy" book and then add notes as they build chops. Maybe.

Duck and cover, Garfield. :peek:

• Like 1

This clip has one of the lighter phrases of writing. From what I saw last week they have some "meatier" sections. There are split snare parts and flashy stick moves.

This clip has one of the lighter phrases of writing. From what I saw last week they have some "meatier" sections. There are split snare parts and flashy stick moves.

This is the only other clip I found, and it does show a little more meat and, I think, the splits you're talking about? 1/16-note tap-splits - yawn from the field, but flashy to the box.

I'm hard on them because I LOVE them and I want them to get better.

This is the only other clip I found, and it does show a little more meat and, I think, the splits you're talking about? 1/16-note tap-splits - yawn from the field, but flashy to the box.

Well.. I've heard a good deal of the music so far, and it's meatier than one would expect but it isn't as clean as one would hope. That said, its literally June 1st, and we can't know for sure how it all plays out just yet. I have the same worry as you. Love them, but don't know if percussion will keep up.. which can and sometimes does result in just enough of a point deficit to lose.

Putting sight and sound into perspective, I have a real sense they are well ahead of any battery they've had in their championship-run years. Sound, sight, and swagger, I think it's all there for Crown this year. This is a very smart group as well. At the April camp (their first since the early camps), they knew the music and played like it was early June in spring training. Now that it's almost early June, I have no reason to doubt they will become a real factor in the top percussion lines in 2016. And putting things in perspective, if that's the case, then this will bode well for Crown this year. You know they'll bring the brass, guard, and visual. My goodness, this is going to be a great year!

This may surprise many Crownies but swagger in only on the DCI Soundsport sheets, not World Class drum corps, and in the southern football tradition (now starting earlier every year.)

There is a different split snare part than that one. Pairs of snares splitting 16ths with opposite hands.

Also, there is section starting with 2 snares the others add on to with so fanciness seen here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUYvtUc3Jo