Carolina Crown 2016

I am new to this message board this year.. I am a PROUD parent of a current Crown member.. Is this the norm? Adults (assuming) arguing with each other, being rude to each other,making sarcastic comments, and bashing a drum corps show??? I guess I was way off thinking this was a place for members parents and fans to come to support and talk ( maturely ) about the show, performances and such.. I understand everyone has their own opinion but seriously some of the stuff I have read is a bit surprising.. IT IS A DRUM CORPS SHOW.. A performance..Regardless of how you feel about the changes and what not of the show all of those performers make sacrifices and work their tail off for 3 months..

This is a place where every single member has respect for every single member of each corps......although, yes we do like to argue. From Crown, to pioneer, and to the Racine Scouts. Nothing but respect. And this is a place to discuss so..

a gunfight--the iconic climax of darn close to every Western ever written or filmed

Again: Red River (1948) and The Searchers (1956) are two classic, highly-esteemed Westerns (both starring John Wayne) in which a concluding violent act is foretold, but--surprise!--is overcome by love in the end. Personally, I have no problem with the original ending. Revenge is a great theme of the narrative arts (see, e.g., Hamlet). But there are perfectly sound models for what Crown is doing.

• Like 1

So Crown ends with no killing. Should "Spartacus" have ended with the guy just being arrested?

No, it should have ended with the entire corps being crucified, as in the Kirk Douglas movie. Duh.

• Like 1

Regarding the revenge-centered story of Medea, apparently there are many endings-- Herodotus reported a version in which Medea and her son Medus fled from Athens on her flying chariot, to the Iranian plateau and lived among the Aryans, who then changed their name to the Medes.

Ugh, Crown trying to be hip. Look buddy, we don't go for that first millennium B.C. stuff around here. Give us the original version, please.

Yeah, sorry skevinp, I'd link it if I could. However wvu80 did give a little summary of it in the DCI East topic: "She said with all the gun violence and shootings recently, Crown wanted to go away from a "relentless and revenge" to show mercy and not end the show with a killing. To show mercy is the answer."

Mercy, yuck. Clearly a pro-Christian bias there. Don't they believe in the separation of church and corps?

• Like 2

The two criteria for a great show are that it is 1) universal and 2) unique. With the new ending, Crown's show now has both.

The desire for uniqueness is a modern taste. Someday we may again, like the medievals, value that element less.

I am new to this message board this year.. I am a PROUD parent of a current Crown member.. Is this the norm? Adults (assuming) arguing with each other, being rude to each other,making sarcastic comments, and bashing a drum corps show???

I guess I was way off thinking this was a place for members parents and fans to come to support and talk ( maturely ) about the show, performances and such..

I understand everyone has their own opinion but seriously some of the stuff I have read is a bit surprising.. IT IS A DRUM CORPS SHOW.. A performance..Regardless of how you feel about the changes and what not of the show all of those performers make sacrifices and work their tail off for 3 months..

I don't intend to be mean Mom4, but it is incredibly naive of you to think that only parents and Crown fans go to an on-line discussion board to only give support to Crown's show. There are millions of views and hundreds of thousands of posts, aka opinions. There are over 3,000 posts for this Crown thread alone. There is a wide variety of people who post on-line for a wide variety of reasons. People who have such great passion for this activity rarely agree on everything. You would have noticed this with even a cursory reading of any of the topics listed.

If these posts offend you, don't read them. You have 100% control of what you put in front of your eyes. We are all influenced by what we choose to expose ourselves to.

This is honest advice, not mean advice, and I am not mad at you. I assure you there are people who are very involved with drum corps, including staff, parents and marching members who don't waste their time reading strangers' opinions on a discussion board. There is nothing wrong with that.

I bet there is a Crown support group, maybe a private chat place where Crown parents can go and not be exposed to the negativity of a general discussion board. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but maybe you would be more comfortable there. You should read and post according to your comfort level.

You read, you decide what is best for you. We will all respect your decision.

+++

EDIT: Upon further reading, I believe DCImom might have read some posts which contained some vile personal attacks that I did not see because they were deleted by mods. That means DCIMom is not as naive as I indicated, and in fact it is my ignorance of other posts that led to that erroneous conclusion. My apologies if that is the case.

Edited by wvu80

Scouts have someone hanging. I don't see a huge discussion about maybe changing that part. So they even changed the ending is just mind blowing to me.

Sometimes, I wondered if they hung the bad horses too.

Changing the ending makes the show socially relevant, unique, and unexpected. All criteria for good fiction. The old ending was meritless-- socially irrelevant, common, predictable, simple-minded and without an inner battle.

Edited by Channel3

Changing the ending makes the show socially relevant, unique, and unexpected. All criteria for good fiction. The old ending was meritless-- socially irrelevant, common, predictable, simple-minded and without an inner battle.

Predictable, yes. Simple-minded, no. And isn't the whole show an inner battle? The boy is trying to avenge his father's murder. I'm am for sure that both endings recieved standing ovations. Some like the old, some like the new. I like the old because it is a cup of tea.

Presenting their 2016 show, Kinda Sorta Relentless...

• Like 2