Carolina Crown 2016

😳. I'm going back to the CADETS thread. All this social revelence talk. Crown is doing so well and they're getting blasted over gun violence... Can't win on DCP

If you want something that is not "PC" why not rent the movie "Gingerdead Man" starring Gary Busey, the very dumbest horror movie of all time-- nonsensical, vapid, violent for no reason, shallow, meritless, shameless bloody second amendment fun. :satisfied:

I can't believe they made a movie about a killer gingerbread cookie. Then they made two sequels...

I don't believe for a second that depicting gun violence in a marching band show leads to, supports, or condones gun violence in society. Carolina Crown is depicting a storyline that, historically, has involved violence. I had no problem with the ending...

Maybe it's time to go back to using a knife, lance, or brass instruments like PR in 08. When the use of the crown in the ending came up, I typed that I didn't think it fit with this years show.

personal attacks removed. Please practice safe posting, folks.

Lol dang it I missed the fireworks

It's drum and bugle corps not broadway theatre,

Tell that to the Madison Scouts.

even though some may be delusional enough to believe it is.

See Scouts comment, directly above ^^^.

The judging system is hopelessly flawed and corrupt.

No, it's not. In fact, it's never been better in my admittedly limited view of watching drum corps the last 35 years.

Soooooooooooo Keep It Simple Stupid!

"Keep it simple" is a little too much of a simplistic view for the experienced drum corps fan who requires more. For the novice drum corps fan I do think simpler is better. The trick is to appear simple, while having complex, layered themes to keep the more sophisticated and experienced drum corps fans engaged.

See Blue Devils, who are the masters of sophisticated layering.

• Like 3

"Keep it simple" is a little too much of a simplistic view for the experienced drum corps fan who requires more. For the novice drum corps fan I do think simpler is better. The trick is to appear simple, while having complex, layered themes to keep the more sophisticated and experienced drum corps fans engaged.

See Blue Devils, who are the masters of sophisticated layering.

Agreed on all of this. I think it's naive to suggest that drum corps isn't musical theater these days. One can lament the changes from the old days, but it's another thing to not recognize what drum corps has become.

I think part of parents' angst comes from their desire for their kids to win. And part of their angst is realizing that the kids' winning is now completely dependent on show design, especially at the end of the season when technical scores are nearly on par with each other. It's out of the kids' hands. The final placement is completely dependent on the depth of concept. I relish posts like these. This is where the realization sets in for parents and for marching members - - their winning, their achievement is dependent on the content and theme of the show. What does the show mean? What is the relevancy to our lives? What is the thematic argument? The kids are at near perfection, and the focus now shifts to the material itself. Delicious.

Well said, Channel3.

I didn't want to get into all that with DCIMom because I truly appreciate her heart and she is the represents the BEST kind of parent out there. But being that loving, caring parent who leads with her heart, she is also most vulnerable to the negativity that goes along with the drum corps posting community that is DCP.

I feel like she is a solid rowboat, but trying to venture out into the open ocean. There is nothing wrong with the rowboat, but you have to stick to the safer confines of the inner waterways.

Edited by wvu80

Agreed on all of this. I think it's naive to suggest that drum corps isn't musical theater these days. One can lament the changes from the old days, but it's another thing to not recognize what drum corps has become.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I probably mis-understood that. I was taking literally the concept of musical theater, as in taking Broadway shows and re-staging it for the drum corps idiom.

The Madison Scouts are probably best identified with the musical theater concept, but it has been done successfully by other corps, most notably the Santa Clara Vanguard. Miss Saigon, Fiddler on the Roof and Phantom of the Opera come immediately to mind.