Carolina Crown 2016

Ah, I see what you're saying. I probably mis-understood that. I was taking literally the concept of musical theater, as in taking Broadway shows and re-staging it for the drum corps idiom.

The Madison Scouts are probably best identified with the musical theater concept, but it has been done successfully by other corps, most notably the Santa Clara Vanguard. Miss Saigon, Fiddler on the Roof and Phantom of the Opera come immediately to mind.

To be clear, my comment on "naivety" relates to the poster you were responding to. And I don't really mean "musical theater," I mean "theater." Drum corps is theatrical these days, for better or worse (and my opinion on that varies according to the design :)).

• Like 1

Think of all the deaths in DCI shows........ Now think of all of them ending happy.....

I'm still mad at Phantom Regiment for not having a wedding at the end of the show when they did Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral a couple of years ago. :cool:

We are having a bit of thread drift on the Crown thread, but I think the talk is mostly relevant. The bottom line is that Crown could have played it safe and kept the logical, very well expected ending and nobody would have batted an eye.

In my opinion, they took a HUGE risk with the new ending and added a layer of sophistication, thought, and social commentary previously reserved for the Blue Devils.

I think Crown just too a giant leap forward in show concept. Whether of not it will pay off at the highest level (DCI Finals) has yet to be determined.

• Like 1

It's drum and bugle corps not broadway theatre, even though some may be delusional enough to believe it is. The judging system is hopelessly flawed and corrupt. Soooooooooooo Keep It Simple Stupid!

This art form is advancing faster than people are able to keep up. The new era of drum corps includes story. Without a story, or at least a strong theme, you end up with miraculous soloists in ninth place, and you end up with what looks like crazy people running around on a field with absolutely no purpose or thought behind it. And regardless of competition, with a million dollar annual budget, a corps better have some meaning attached to its show, whether on or off the field.

We are having a bit of thread drift on the Crown thread, but I think the talk is mostly relevant. The bottom line is that Crown could have played it safe and kept the logical, very well expected ending and nobody would have batted an eye.

In my opinion, they took a HUGE risk with the new ending and added a layer of sophistication, thought, and social commentary previously reserved for the Blue Devils.

I think Crown just too a giant leap forward in show concept. Whether of not it will pay off at the highest level (DCI Finals) has yet to be determined.

Agreed. And I love happy endings...
  • Like 1

Think of all the deaths in DCI shows........ Now think of all of them ending happy.....

I. AM. SPARTACUS!

.... and YOU are Spartacus. And YOU are Spartacus....

We are ALL Spartacus...es.

... Spartaci?

... Spartaceesus?

• Like 1

I. AM. SPARTACUS!

.... and YOU are Spartacus. And YOU are Spartacus....

We are ALL Spartacus...es.

... Spartaci?

... Spartaceesus?

I was thinking the same thing. L. O. L.