Carolina Crown 2016

Think of all the deaths in DCI shows........ Now think of all of them ending happy.....

Think of all the happy endings in DCI; now think of them ending violently.

For instance, Crown's 2010 show, "A Second Chance" seems to be a show about domestic violence, and climaxes with the heroine about to be clubbed (to death?) by her abusive partner, but she is given the opportunity, it appears, to go back in time and choose her other youthful beau. Imagine if the show had ended with her lying on the field, beat to a pulp. Good times, good times.

• Like 1

His inner battle is that he knows he's got to do more to stop the cycle of violence even though he wants to avenge his father's murder.

What evidence is there of this struggle in Crown's show, prior to the climax?

• Like 1

It occurred to me after thinking more about last night's show in Buffalo. Bloo and BD practically tied - only 5/100's of a point separating the two. Considering Crown and BD were practically tied over the weekend in Allentown (same judging panel both nights), it seems to me that it remains a 3-horse race. I would give more credibility to the Allentown results (which are more consistent with recent shows) than the TOC in Buffalo which had some fairly remarkable caption scores and rankings. Lastly, Crown's ending is only now beginning to take hold. It has really changed the fabric of the storyline with a merciful ending. I believe the story will continue to take hold and resonate even more loudly in Indy. Crown can still "sneak" up and capture the gold on Saturday night.

• Like 1

if you consider a false narrative "social issue" as relevant.

Well, if the issue is limited to "gun violence", then you may have a point.

(But only maybe. The history of gun control in the U.S. is more complicated than is generally acknowledged by people on either side of the argument. For example: California in 1967 passed the Mulford Act, which made it illegal to carry loaded guns in public, because some people were scared of the Black Panthers, who were exercising what they felt to be their Second Amendment rights. This Republican law was signed by the state's governor, Ronald Reagan, who said there was "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons".)

But if the actual issue being addressed at the end of Crown's show is not guns but violence and mercy, then as I have noted already, the theme is eternally relevant, and has been addressed before in classic Westerns like Red River, classic novels like The Lord of the Rings, and some old religious text called the Bible ("turn the other cheek" and all that; admittedly, "an eye for an eye" also comes from earlier in that text).

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Well, if the issue is limited to "gun violence", then you may have a point.

(But only maybe. The history of gun control in the U.S. is more complicated than is generally acknowledged by people on either side of the argument. For example: California in 1967 passed the Mulford Act, which made it illegal to carry loaded guns in public, because some people were scared of the Black Panthers, who were exercising what they felt to be their Second Amendment rights. This Republican law was signed by the state's governor, Ronald Reagan, who said there was "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons".)

But if the actual issue being addressed at the end of Crown's show is not guns but violence and mercy, then as I have noted already, the theme is eternally relevant, and has been addressed before in classic Westerns like Red River, classic novels like The Lord of the Rings, and some old religious text called the Bible ("turn the other cheek" and all that; admittedly, "an eye for an eye" also comes from earlier in that text).

Gotcha. Makes a lot of sense. I certainly wish we were all a little more kind and loving.

What evidence is there of this struggle in Crown's show, prior to the climax?

The entire ballad is the struggle. Hallelujah is mercy. The trio stuff from the good the bad and the ugly is the anger and wrath. You even see him watching a "flashback" sequence of the opening murder over and over you can really feel the anger building in the production. So to me this is the conflict and the contrast is clear. To be or not to be? To kill or not to kill? Mercy or revenge? A nod to hamlet for sure.
  • Like 2

This is a great thread - thanks for providing clarity and insight --

a couple more questions from watching the hi cam from Allentown:

So - what is the point of the go go dancer on top of the stagecoach during the ballad?

also:

I'm not a great stagecoach driving mind, but why is the stagecoach moving in reverse at the end of Roxanne? it looks kind of funny to see the driver whippen the horses to giddeyap backwards!

also:

I"m still a bit confused why Roxanne isn't the person busting out of the stagecoach at the ending to stop young feller from shooting the bad guy ---

• Like 1

The entire ballad is the struggle. Hallelujah is mercy. The trio stuff from the good the bad and the ugly is the anger and wrath. You even see him watching a "flashback" sequence of the opening murder over and over you can really feel the anger building in the production. So to me this is the conflict and the contrast is clear. To be or not to be? To kill or not to kill? Mercy or revenge? A nod to hamlet for sure.

That makes more sense than a fist fight with a statue.

• Like 2

This art form is advancing faster than people are able to keep up. The new era of drum corps includes story. Without a story, or at least a strong theme, you end up with miraculous soloists in ninth place, and you end up with what looks like crazy people running around on a field with absolutely no purpose or thought behind it. And regardless of competition, with a million dollar annual budget, a corps better have some meaning attached to its show, whether on or off the field.

What's the meaning of Bloo's show?