DCI Suggestion Box

This thread needs to be changed to how to keep BD from winning even though i am sure the OP intentions wasn't this. Average out the three scores then Crown would have won last night. But then Bluecoats would have lost to Cadets last year with scores averaged over three nights. So people would have cried last year lol. It doesn't matter what you do. BD are winners and they will make adjustments to whatever you throw at them. Some people want a baby throwing caption since BD doesn't appeal to fans in their opinion. But BD plays to the sheets remember??? So adding a baby throwing caption won't stop them cause they play to the sheets!! So go ahead and add the baby throwing caption and at some point BD's staff will see it and since they play to the sheets they will design a show to max out that caption and make you throw your baby just as far as any other corps. So as a BD honk i say bring it.

No connection to BD in anyway but their shows always feel like they are designed for the crowd. They don't have a weakness which is why they win so often. We can look at all those other groups and can pinpoint a weakness (Cadets guard and crown percussion).they deserved that win last night so if they avg scores you'd NEVER get an upset win. Pretty much if you win the first 2 nights it's over.

• Like 1

Fire whoever redesigned the trainwreck of a website tomorrow!!!!!!!!! It really sucks. I've never seen such a mess to try and maneuver. And if DCI is going to try to make money on advertising they need to figure out how for it to not get in the way. Of course, that makes the advertisers happy, but it is so obnoxious.

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 2

No connection to BD in anyway but their shows always feel like they are designed for the crowd. They don't have a weakness which is why they win so often. We can look at all those other groups and can pinpoint a weakness (Cadets guard and crown percussion).they deserved that win last night so if they avg scores you'd NEVER get an upset win. Pretty much if you win the first 2 nights it's over.

Just a question. With GE being so predominant in today's scoring assessment...are shows supposed to be designed for "the audience," or for the adjudicators. To me, this sets up nothing but a very convenient "###### if you do, ###### if you don't" scenario. Personally, I am, myself, not certain where the correct answer lies. But I have to think that if we, the DCP general public of informed and correct sources of proper interpretation can't arrive at a unified opinion on this, then I'd hate to be a present designer.

When a corps's design team puts out designs like BD's then they are naturally going to attract the best talent in the activity. Thus no weaknesses.

Edited by war eagle

Just a question. With GE being so predominant in today's scoring assessment...are shows supposed to be designed for "the audience," or for the adjudicators. To me, this sets up nothing but a very convenient "###### if you do, ###### if you don't" scenario. Personally, I am, myself, not certain where the correct answer lies. But I have to think that if we, the DCP general public of informed and correct sources of proper interpretation can't arrive at a unified opinion on this, then I'd hate to be a present designer.

Don't forget most of DCP is older people who hate the way the activity has changed. There were people against mics, electronics, and lower body moves. The judges do their job and judge what they are told to judge with no bias and hatred. As I just posted on another page what is GE? I feel like it's your wildcard for each person. What I find effective you could think is boring. IMO a flying banner does nothing for me but thousands of fans went crazy for it. I saw a little girl in love with what's going around and people interacting with her and that gave me the feel . Everything is an opinion.

I also just saw a Facebook group made to relive the "gold era" of drum corps which to me says this stuff sucks and drum corps is dying. Older alumni may never embrace the change to entertainment.

Edited by BlueStainGlass

Every year i seem like i hope more entertainment value is put into the judging. A show shouldn't be champion if its not an entertaining show, even if its a sound show with great execution.

HOMER ALERT:

You just want Madison to win.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

I think this was tried at some TOC shows a few years back. The audience was given a text number and could text in their vote. But, through the magic of social media, a certain corps' fans were notified of the voting procedure and that corps won with many of the voters not even at the show.

Not saying this is a bad idea. Just the ballot security needs to be worked out.

You could (by cell towwr polling) invalidate votes from outside the local area.

Ideally, they need to hit both, and there was huge success in that area this year. BD and Crown totally played to both the audience and judges. Some will have a preference for one style over the other, but you can't ignore the audience gold that was purposely built into each show: Crown had the banners, scrims, people getting slashed and turned into demons, being dragged back into the fire, etc. etc. On the flip side, BD had tons of clever humor, from the rifles up and down the chairs, to the seductive boy band wearing huge bushy wolf tails, three blind mice dancing with canes and shades, etc. etc. All this stuff was designed to provoke delight from the crowds and it mostly did. The corps have finally figured out how to play to both sides of the coin (while winning), and the huge crowds show it is working.

Edited by NakedEye
  • Like 1

Don't forget most of DCP is older people who hate the way the activity has changed. There were people against mics, electronics, and lower body moves. The judges do their job and judge what they are told to judge with no bias and hatred. As I just posted on another page what is GE? I feel like it's your wildcard for each person. What I find effective you could think is boring. IMO a flying banner does nothing for me but thousands of fans went crazy for it. I saw a little girl in love with what's going around and people interacting with her and that gave me the feel . Everything is an opinion.

I also just saw a Facebook group made to relive the "gold era" of drum corps which to me says this stuff sucks and drum corps is dying. Older alumni may never embrace the change to entertainment.

Well, there ya' go. :colgate: And which always gives me gas every time I see a case of "WE GOT SCREWED", or a serious malaise of butt-hu....ooops...sorry. Taken back... anyway...whenever I see some of the above on here.