DCI Suggestion Box

DCI did two things: They encouraged the corps to design for crowd appeal to a higher extent while, at the same time, encouraged judges to reward such designs.

DCI did not reduce all of the other necessary captions to make this change. Great crowd appeal doesn't trump execution just because it's given a label on the sheet.

to me that just means that they are saving face by saying it is considered, but without any specific guidelines in place.

And i don't think most people want just entertainment at the expense of execution, but we get down to corps that are so similar in execution. The trained and untrained ear can tell that (just for example) Cadets brass is better than the Cavaliers, who are better than the Colts, who are better than the Cascades. but in the tight groupings, like Cadets, Crown, BD, and even bluecoats, its far less clear. You put 5 different brass judges up there judging the same show, and you can very well get 5 different scores and a variety of placements. that isn't objective, its still subjective. its just instead of putting the power into the hands of the fans, you put it into the hands of an elite. The problem is when the scores are unpredictable week to week but the placements are predictable based on the panel. When they moved the semis judging panel to finals night you could (rightly) guess that BD would end up winning. Just because of the panel. i'm not saying there was a conspiracy to insure BD won by giving them a desirable panel, but it could have swung the other way with different judges, independent of the performance.

But the booing at finals.

Let me ask you this........if last night would have been BD's first title ever, do you think there would have been booing?

Think they should average the scores the last three nights. Had they done this, Crown would be the winner. This would make every show count, not just the last night. And it would be nice to add more of a entertainment factor in the scoring. Cavaliers won multiple times with some very crowd pleasing shows. They actually CAN be entertaining and winning at the same time. Devils show this year was better for me than the last few, but it still fell well short of being called 'crowd pleasing' by the VERY vociferous negative response they received when it was announced at Finals night. Think folks definitely want more entertainment value factored in in scoring. Had they had a very entertaining show, those people in the stands would have been happy to see them win...IMO...

I'm not sure how one can justifiably support the concept of a "Finals" night while also averaging scores from previous performances, and from different panels. It would be much akin to....no...staying away from the athletic metaphor for once.

Edited by HornTeacher

Let me ask you this........if last night would have been BD's first title ever, do you think there would have been booing?

There wasn't booing.

• Like 2

Not sure that is relevant. Maybe in 2013 as crown earned their first title over BD. It is very hard to root against the underdog.

BD isn't always booed (overwhelmingly) by the fans at finals or other shows. But typically when it happens it is because the crowd feels a different show is more deserving. This year it happened to be crown that got the short end of the stick. But last year I do not remember booing despite BD kicking the butts of the competition, most were in awe of the performance and felt their title was earned. This year just felt different. and i know i am not the only one that felt that way.

Not sure that is relevant. Maybe in 2013 as crown earned their first title over BD. It is very hard to root against the underdog.

BD isn't always booed (overwhelmingly) by the fans at finals or other shows. But typically when it happens it is because the crowd feels a different show is more deserving. This year it happened to be crown that got the short end of the stick. But last year I do not remember booing despite BD kicking the butts of the competition, most were in awe of the performance and felt their title was earned. This year just felt different. and i know i am not the only one that felt that way.

And you personally know this exactly how???? I'm not sure how one can possibly discern booing based on what is felt to be deserved from booing based simply on the whimsies of fandom.

It is far from my place to seek censure for opinions stated here. This is, after all, a place for discourse among many. But for those of you who think it your place to "boo" a placement which, in your mind, is undeserved: If it were to be YOUR corps on top, announced as winners, and you were to witness the second-place corps turn to yours, roll their eyes, and wave their hands dismissively at YOUR members....would you not be among the first to raise your voice in how "unsportsmanlike" and "low-class" that second-place corps exhibited themselves as being? And what would you say of those supporters whose booing despoiled the moment of your kids' greatest achievement?

As Ye Sow.....

Edited by HornTeacher