DCI Suggestion Box

Make Indy championship the average score of the 3 shows. This would lessen the impact of a rouge judge or 2. As such , Crown would have won with the highest average score from prelims, semis, and finals.

Does it make any sense that championship week runs separate shows independent of each other? Only the caption awards are based on the average of the 3 shows? Prelims, semis, and finals with no overall score makes no sense. This has been a ticking time bomb for years and it finally exploded this year.

To this day I have no clue what that 2010 show was about (although it is one of my favorites) yet understand 2012 pretty well. I think 2010 is quite a bit more abstract.

To me, the 2012 show is literally a "show about nothing" -- nothing being in the Dada sense. I'm very confused about it, but respect it for staying true to the concept.

I'm not sure how one can justifiably support the concept of a "Finals" night while also averaging scores from previous performances, and from different panels. It would be much akin to....no...staying away from the athletic metaphor for once.

Best 2 out of 3?

To be honest, as long as the shows are entertaining, I don't give a crap who wins. If BD got 4th this year, it wouldn't have stopped me from enjoying their show more than any other show this year.

As for those calling for DCI to actually start taking into account crowd opinion/reaction... Yeah let's not. I've realized how awful groupthink can be and how dumb the masses can be as well.

Make Indy championship the average score of the 3 shows. This would lessen the impact of a rouge judge or 2. As such , Crown would have won with the highest average score from prelims, semis, and finals.

Does it make any sense that championship week runs separate shows independent of each other? Only the caption awards are based on the average of the 3 shows? Prelims, semis, and finals with no overall score makes no sense. This has been a ticking time bomb for years and it finally exploded this year.

I highly doubt anyone would have been okay with that in 2008. Let's face it, the masses will find one way to b*tch or another.

• Like 2

That scoring approach would have resulted in Cadets achieving Silver in 2014, with the resulting gnashing of teeth among Bloo fans.

• Like 3

1.Incorporate some mechanism into the scoring system that recognizes "degree of difficulty".

Figure skating, diving and gymnastics all have it so there's no reason Drum Corps couldn't.

2.This will never happen, but don't let the GE Judges for Finals watch say the top 6 corps during the season.

That would assure that they get the true GE effect at Finals, and judging GE strictly on what they saw at Finals only.

Isn't the 'degree of difficulty" factor considered in assigning a performance to a box and then fine-tuning the sub-caption score within that box ?

Double Panel for finals, rather than just doubled perc and GE. Also make the GE judges Visual and Music Specific again.

GE Visual - 2 Judges

GE Music - 2 Judges

Field Brass

Ensemble Brass

Field Percussion

Ensemble Percussion

Music Analysis - 2 Judges

Field Visual - 2 Judges

Visual Analysis - 2 Judges

Guard - 2 Judges

Do this for Atlanta and Allentown, Finals Night.

No music samples that last more than a beat. Every sound must be made in real time.

Color Guard judges must actually look at simultaneous responsibility. Moving while spinning should get more credit that just spinning.

Poor singing that is amplified should be looked at just like poor brass playing.

• Like 4

Garfield:

To me the issue is how you judge GE.

I don't know how its defined by DCI,but as I understand it,its the overall impact of a performance.

You cannot duplicate the impression you get from any entertainment event the first time you see it.

In Drum Corps this is has more of an impact if a GE judge doesn't like certain changes made to a corps' show over the season.

To me,its along the lines of the Oscar voters viewing various "cuts" of a movie rather then the finished product.

A corps' Finals score is supposed to be independent of what they did previously in the season.

Therefore I think the GE should be judged based on an initial viewing of he show.

I have (had) the $99 DCI live package. During the streaming season, I watched every performance by Blue Devils, and most of everyone's every performance. Last night, I felt I was watching INK for the first time. Suddenly I was watching INK, but seeing it with a Felliniesque tint........ that corps morphed before me........ such passion.....even in the faces !!!!

• Like 1

Of this, you may very well be correct. However, to the kids on the field, who have been busting their butts all summer long (and with every bit the effort as any others lined up alongside them, it is simply heard as "displeasure" on the part of the audience. They are not professionals...that is THEIR moment...and it shouldn't be accompanied to booing. And by the way...I amended my earlier post. You might well wish to read that as well.)

All I know is this: I am, first and foremost, a Trooper fan. On friday evening, when I read the scores, my first reaction wasn't to "boo" the placement of the Crossmen. Was I disappointed? Yes. BUT...I can also assure you that I was most probably among the very first to shoot off a "CONGRATULATIONS to you and your kids!! Good luck tomorrow night!!" PM to Fred Morrison. Thank goodness that the whole penalty thing came along, which at least assuaged my disappointment somewhat. I guess it's one of those moments which makes me proud to be a dinosaur...

I do wonder what the BD members think about it all. Maybe all the haterz fuel their fire?

I am not saying that i do or have bood or did boo, but its a way to gauge an audiences displeasure of a placement. It got bad enough on social media last night (people expressing their displeasure in vulgar and negative ways) that SCV had to do some serious moderation on their status because of it. Fortunately at events it just ends at booing and not berating.

personally i just want to bloo the champion, but that only makes sense if the bluecoats win.