2015 Finals

However, one could also opine that the Cadets' relentless intensity, sourced from their execution of the demand was a cumulative sustained effect unequaled by the other top corps. I guess comparing this to a competitor sustaining a chord while slowly moving to a final set with a gold banner swooping above them might be seen, subjectively as superior GE....YMMV.

You are correct sir! The Cadets had effect in their show. The effect was derived from the marching and playing; not from tarps, banners or gimmicks. The argument that demand is subjective is an empty argument. I agree that there are different types of demand. But don't try to tell me that playing intricate music at 230 BPM while moving isn't extremely challenging. GE is extremely subjective, not demand.

You are correct sir! The Cadets had effect in their show. The effect was derived from the marching and playing; not from tarps, banners or gimmicks. The argument that demand is subjective is an empty argument. I agree that there are different types of demand. But don't try to tell me that playing intricate music at 230 BPM while moving isn't extremely challenging. GE is extremely subjective, not demand.

Oh? Is it? Until you can come up with a numerically sound way to rank corps in terms of "demand," it will always be inherently subjective. As someone who conducts research in the sciences, I'd like to think I know the difference between subjectivity and objectivity.

Now that I have had some time to digest the results from Saturday night, it becomes more appalling to me that a corps the caliber of the 2015 Cadets didn't medal. Just my opinion, but this is a stain on the judging process in DCI. Rant over.

I know many MMs of Cadets 2015. They knew what was happening the last 10 days of the season. You can read the tea leafs. Saturday night was the best performance of the season. They did it for themselves and Cadets fans.
  • Like 2

It's not about demand. The corps that has won the most arguably has the least demand every year.

It's still a tick system. The judges are looking for errors at the highest level. One person making a mistake is what they note not the other (insert number here) that did it perfectly.

Agreed. BD designs cohesive shows and performs them flawlessly. You can't compare their demand to Cadets or Crown nor do they even claim it was extremely demanding. The team that had no weaknesses won. Simple as that.

The brass judge was the only guy who assessed technique AND demand with several very excellent brass lines this season and Cadets got the Ott award.IMO

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

I know many MMs of Cadets 2015. They knew what was happening the last 10 days of the season. You can read the tea leafs. Saturday night was the best performance of the season. They did it for themselves and Cadets fans.

A little like the last two nights in 2014 when a 1.1 point advantage for silver dissipated almost miraculously.

• Like 2

A little like the last two nights in 2014 when a 1.1 point advantage for silver dissipated almost miraculously.

It can happen to anyone. Crown was a couple tenths away from falling to third on Finals night.

Oh? Is it? Until you can come up with a numerically sound way to rank corps in terms of "demand," it will always be inherently subjective. As someone who conducts research in the sciences, I'd like to think I know the difference between subjectivity and objectivity.

Yeah. One begins "su." The other begins "o."

It can happen to anyone. Crown was a couple tenths away from falling to third on Finals night.

It appears Bluecoats have spectacular runs and perform their very best (not saying that other corps don't, just Bluecoats has seemed to get a little bit more) on Finals Night, they've sure been on fire the past two years.

• Like 1