2015 Finals

http://youtu.be/yd9nRp_yBHM

Watch this video of the blue devils during finals week. I think they deserved the gold this year even though I wanted crown to win

1. I don't think the OP was debating whether BD should have won. I think they should have as well

2. The video is interesting - apparently BD & "System Blue" has immediate access to DCI's footage. Not sure I've seen that be the case with the other corps

3. Which brings up an interesting question - should DCI have "System Blue" as a sponsor? As DCI directs the judges - does it represent a "conflict of interest" to have one of those organizations being judged as a financial donor/sponsor? I believe US Bands (YEA!) is similarly listed as a sponsor. Probably not a good idea to accept funds from the organizations you are later judging

I think what the OP is hinting at is: Is "demand" being fairly considered as a component of the score. Should it be? Or is effectiveness everything?

• Like 1

The first caption on the recaps is General Effect, not General Demand.

I believe that's what the OP is questioning. Should it be just "effect" -- is "demand" considered enough. Should it be?

I'm frankly not sure.

Bluecoats didn't have the insane level of demand Cadets had; that's the difference. Cadets were not rewarded for performing a literal beast of a show at a high level.

It's not about demand. The corps that has won the most arguably has the least demand every year.

It's still a tick system. The judges are looking for errors at the highest level. One person making a mistake is what they note not the other (insert number here) that did it perfectly.

I 100% agree with the Cadets finishing 4th. Their visual execution was sub-par (relative to the top 3), as was their color guard. These issues bleed into GE. I had them 4th all three nights. Their show, on the other hand, was remarkable for what they were attempting. I loved this show - one of my favorites, but the execution just wasn't there (visually).

Agree with this. The two nights I was there, as a music ensemble they weren't as crisp as they could have been, and as a visual ensemble they had uniformity and form issues. The guard was not top 3, and the other 3 corps had more big effect moments that were hard to compete against with a relatively straightforward display of musical and visual power.

Agree with this. The two nights I was there, as a music ensemble they weren't as crisp as they could have been, and as a visual ensemble they had uniformity and form issues. The guard was not top 3, and the other 3 corps had more big effect moments that were hard to compete against with a relatively straightforward display of musical and visual power.

agreed as well - especially the comment about the big moments

I believe that's what the OP is questioning. Should it be just "effect" -- is "demand" considered enough. Should it be?

I'm frankly not sure.

Like you, I not entirely sure what he is questioning. In the first post, he simply mentioned that the Cadets should have medaled.

I have to share a story that might not translate entirely well on the internet. I have a friend who can't watch the end of the Superbowl because she feels so sorry to see the faces of the losing team, and I have to remind her that the only way to lose the Superbowl is to actually be in the Superbowl. Finishing behind the top 3 this year is no disgrace.

Also like you, I am not sure where demand sits on the current sheets. Back when I was teaching, it wasn't. The key terms were coordination and integration.

Demand is also pretty subjective. Many people think moving at 220 bpm is pretty demanding. I always felt that marching backwards at 60 bpm was the hardest thing ever, but most people here on DCP would disagree with that.

• Like 1

2. The video is interesting - apparently BD & "System Blue" has immediate access to DCI's footage. Not sure I've seen that be the case with the other corps

3. Which brings up an interesting question - should DCI have "System Blue" as a sponsor? As DCI directs the judges - does it represent a "conflict of interest" to have one of those organizations being judged as a financial donor/sponsor? I believe US Bands (YEA!) is similarly listed as a sponsor. Probably not a good idea to accept funds from the organizations you are later judging

Where are you getting the idea that this is DCI's footage? BD has a highly accomplished video team that travels with them, and this feature is consistent with what they have been doing all season. One of their video guys was on the field running around in the formations during the encore as well.

• Like 2

agreed as well - especially the comment about the big moments

However, one could also opine that the Cadets' relentless intensity, sourced from their execution of the demand was a cumulative sustained effect unequaled by the other top corps. I guess comparing this to a competitor sustaining a chord while slowly moving to a final set with a gold banner swooping above them might be seen, subjectively as superior GE....YMMV.

• Like 1

Where are you getting the idea that this is DCI's footage? BD has a highly accomplished video team that travels with them, and this feature is consistent with what they have been doing all season. One of their video guys was on the field running around in the formations during the encore as well.

Yep all that footage was definitely BD's.

• Like 1