Judging Tapes for Entertainment and Enlightenment

Here's Bloo's percussion tape from finals. Don't ask me how I got it, but Bluecoats are okay with it being shared.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/competitionsuite/commentary/dci/2614/5545fb8d-b647-4921-bbc4-8ee026beca69.mp3

Goofy side thought:

he says something like "if I can dodge an ax I can dodge a sphere." If Jeff actually got hit by an ax, does he imply he got hit by a sphere?!

:tounge2::tounge2:

Best comment I heard was one from Osage Precisionnaires Drum & Bugle Corps - they had a judge that on the tape said "You shouldn't call yourselfs Precisionnaires if you aren't"

Gotta love the old vfw judges

• Like 1

Bok, Bok, Bok, Bah-da-BOOM! Love it! Did anyone catch someone on the field yell, "Look out!" around 11:50-12:10? "Here come the spheres!" Classic! I was a horn player, obviously, but I love listening to Mr. Prosperie's tapes. Such a wealth of knowledge and love for the performers and their achievement. Bravo, to you, Mr. Prosperie!

Besides the fact that judges know their tapes ARE being analyzed on a regular basis by:

* corps staffers, designers, and directors

* corps members

* DCI judge Caption Heads

Those folks above, who regular review and analyze judge tapes, are FAR more important to the judge than the regular public. Judges know that "pleasing" the above folks (by having a logical, correct tape) is all that matters, and typically get that the average DCI fan has little/no clue about judging and their irate rants are likely do to a misunderstanding of the process

well i've yet to see anyone criticize one of Jeff's tapes

...Did anyone catch someone on the field yell, "Look out!" around 11:50-12:10?

I caught that, too! :)

Honestly, I feel like I didn't learn all that much from the GE tapes. Even I could give comments like "Thank you, mellos!" or "Great job, pit!" The majority of comments seemed to be in that vein, with a handful of exceptions. What would really be enlightening to me would be a GE tape of a corps that is not doing as well. What sort of critique and advice a judge gives a corps that's not being as successful would tell me much more about what sort of things they're looking for and at. Much (though not all) of those tape just told me that Bluecoats were doing, well...great.

Edited by troon8

I caught that, too! :)

Honestly, I feel like I didn't learn all that much from the GE tapes. Even I could give comments like "Thank you, mellos!" or "Great job, pit!" The majority of comments seemed to be in that vein, with a handful of exceptions. What would really be enlightening to me would be a GE tape of a corps that is not doing as well. What sort of critique and advice a judge gives a corps that's not being as successful would tell me much more about what sort of things they're looking for and at. Much (though not all) of those tape just told me that Bluecoats were doing, well...great.

you also have to consider it's finals. what can you tell a corps to improve upon? there is no next show

you also have to consider it's finals. what can you tell a corps to improve upon? there is no next show

Quite true, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll modify my wish to say that I'd rather hear tapes from earlier in the season.

• Like 1

On Soundcloud, possibly the most succinct tape ever:

Blue Devils field percussion, Whitewater, early in 1986 finals week.

Judge says at the beginning: 'Keep the recorder down tonight.'

Says, 'Holy ####' and 'Yeah!' a couple times during the feature; points out a minor error.

At the end of the tape says, 'Thanks BD. See you tomorrow up top; good luck Saturday night.'

On Soundcloud, possibly the most succinct tape ever:

Blue Devils field percussion, Whitewater, early in 1986 finals week.

Judge says at the beginning: 'Keep the recorder down tonight.'

Says, 'Holy ####' and 'Yeah!' a couple times during the feature; points out a minor error.

At the end of the tape says, 'Thanks BD. See you tomorrow up top; good luck Saturday night.'

Rod Goodhart