Spirit of Atlanta

300+ at auditions this weekend and another in two weeks. Very impressed with the attitude, excitement and environment surrounding the corps. Tons of alumni from the early days of the corps. Tons of alumni from the last few years. Very cool to witness. Best part of the day? Listening to Spirit of Atlanta playing Georgia while Freddy Martin conducted. You think those kids had a great experience this weekend? I know mine did!

Can't wait to see them develop as the summer rolls in.

Dan

So very cool to read this! If you all need anything just ask. Looking forward to 2016.

Peace

• 3 weeks later...

We dropped by camp today -- brought some Chick-fil-a nuggets for the staff and volunteers. (They finally have a camp in our "neck of the woods" as they say and not on the OTHER side of Atlanta.)

The numbers were down a bit, but that was to be expected considering the winter weather. I did see an almost full (14-15) contra line heading in for sectionals. I also got to see Freddy Martin teaching proper breathing techniques to the trumpets. Cool stuff!

There were a lot of volunteers working in the kitchen which is always good to see. I hope a lot of them can help out on tour.

We didn't stay to hear any of the music, but it looks like things are going well.

We dropped by camp today -- brought some Chick-fil-a nuggets for the staff and volunteers. (They finally have a camp in our "neck of the woods" as they say and not on the OTHER side of Atlanta.)

The numbers were down a bit, but that was to be expected considering the winter weather. I did see an almost full (14-15) contra line heading in for sectionals. I also got to see Freddy Martin teaching proper breathing techniques to the trumpets. Cool stuff!

There were a lot of volunteers working in the kitchen which is always good to see. I hope a lot of them can help out on tour.

We didn't stay to hear any of the music, but it looks like things are going well.

Is one of your kids still marching or were you just checking in? I know the one from Crown aged out a year or two back...

Is one of your kids still marching or were you just checking in? I know the one from Crown aged out a year or two back...

My youngest is in her age-out year. The Tour would be just before her Senior year in college, so she's considering her options.

We were mainly just checking in to see how things were going with the new staff and if they needed volunteers. And to see friends.

Did it seem like SoA will have a full 150 or is there concern over numbers?

Numbers were down because it was a call-back camp. Only those already contracted and those on the bubble were invited. And yes, there were a number who were unable to make it due to the winter weather mess in states north of GA.

So how was the Roman holiday besides the .0.04 inches of snow? What did the show-n-tell Sunday at camp in Rome, GA reveal?

The Roman Holiday (our river sightseeing boat) (last I saw) is still sitting on top of the levee due to the recent flooding.

I wish we could have gone back to see show-n-tell. I hope other DCP folks who did will chime in.

Did it seem like SoA will have a full 150 or is there concern over numbers?

http://m.northwestgeorgianews.com/rome/news/local/tryouts-for-spirit-of-atlanta-drum-bugle-corps-held-at/article_71ac86ee-c263-11e5-91ef-4ff6146e6af2.html?mode=jqm

Edited by CrownBariDad