Spirit of Atlanta

Please say it isn't so. This is like PR doing 1812 again or SCV doing Bottle Dance. No. The answer is "NO!".

This has to be a cruel joke.

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything wrong with revisiting classics. Just do them justice!

You are right BUT it can be tricky. I think it needs to be changed up a bit and most important to do it as well if not better. A version that doesn't at least equal the quality will only be looked at poorly BUT the flip side is "IF" it at least equals it can be great, at least to those who can relate back to the days of the original. Those who can't relate, and there can be more of them now at this point will at least be able to appreciate the high quality.

Edited by GUARDLING

Composer Mason Bates describing "Rusty Air in Georgia" [originally for Orchestra],

"Rusty Air in Carolina"

And as long as we're on the topic, Chris Moore said in the Spirit video that "it was actually written about a place in Virginia that Mason is familiar with". According to the composer's program notes, that is not correct. The composer is from Virginia, but the piece was meant as an hommage to his months in Brevard, North Carolina [his program notes incorrectly refer to Brevard as being in South Carolina] as a teenager, attending a music festival there (along with the festival's assistant conductor, Robert Moody, who commissioned the work once Moody became head of the Winston-Salem Symphony). "Not only did the thick buzzing of cicadas and katydids always accompany the concerts there, but sometimes it was the music itself: on more than one occasion, I remember sitting on the porch of 100-year old Nan Burt and listening to the sounds of summer while she told stories from her long life." The first movement is called "Nan's Porch".

Just background info to pass the time while await the summer music.

Edited by Eleran

Word is they are going to use some really interesting soundscapes and electronics this summer. With the resources that the director has at Georgia Tech and their premier Music Technology program, it could be very interesting and fresh.

I think its important to give them a fair shake and see what a completely reunited alumni base (first time in many, many years) can do for this organization moving forward. I think its got real potential, long term.

• Like 3

Please say it isn't so. This is like PR doing 1812 again or SCV doing Bottle Dance. No. The answer is "NO!".

This has to be a cruel joke.

Or like Blue Devils doing Sweeney Todd again, or SCV doing Scheherazade, or PR doing American in Paris (or Organ Symphony, or Swan Lake), or Cadets doing Appalachian Spring.