Spirit of Atlanta

I hope I wake up and realize I was only dreaming that Spirit announced they were doing a show called "Georgia", playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Georgia on my Mind". I am sure that as a non-finalist trying to regain the amazing ground that they made in 2011-2013, they would not take the biggest risk that a corps in their position could ever take: do a show that forces everyone to compare you to your best you when being better than the best you is not possible right now, do a show that most everyone in the stands will write in their heads before seeing the corps, play tunes that you made famous (decades ago) and that you have already played to death (fresh versions or not), do a story line show, do a boy meets girls show that cannot dodge being compared to every other high school band show out there, do a show that requires play acting on the world's largest "theater" stage, etc.

Edited by westcoastblue

I can't wait to see and hear it!

Reminds me a lot of 2014s announcement. Going back to their roots, playing music that fits them to a T. New staff, new direction. Hope they do it right this time, and I really mean that! :) DCI needs a competitive Spirit to bring us that southern flavor and make us throw babies! This seems a little more honed in than the last two were, two shows that seemed really confused at what they wanted to be.

Things I like about this announcement compared to their last two shows:

1) Seems like they have a specific story in mind. Nothing new, but who doesn't love a good love story? Last two just seemed lost and indecisive thematically.

2) 2014 seemed kinda half foot in the door with music going back to their roots, and last year didn't seem like Spirit. They seem to be fully embracing the southern music and theme. There is some fun stuff in there!

3) Like the talk about using electronics personally, dub step Sweet Georgia Brown? That could be hella fun.

I'm cautious because I went in the 2014 and even 2015 expecting a lot, and was disappointed. They just seemed lost. Hoping this can help them find Spirit again, nothing does that like an Anniversary show!

• Like 1

I wish them the best, but how many times do they need to play Georgia, Sweet Georgia Brown, or point out the fact that their from Georgia before they try a different approach. I just don't buy it.

If you heard Sprit play "Georgia on my Mind" in the early days, you would understand the excitement. It can be overdone and if it is not the original Jim Ott arrangement with that classic sound, it's not quite the same. Still, I think this year's show sounds like it could work well for them. For my tastes, I would love a return of "Let it be Me" for a 40th anniversary treat.

If you heard Sprit play "Georgia on my Mind" in the early days, you would understand the excitement. It can be overdone and if it is not the original Jim Ott arrangement with that classic sound, it's not quite the same. Still, I think this year's show sounds like it could work well for them. For my tastes, I would love a return of "Let it be Me" for a 40th anniversary treat.

I've heard Georgia from the "early days," but it's 2016.

Look, I would love to hear Madison play Malaguena every year, but I'm glad that they haven't put it on the field as its own segment since 1996 because they've been there, and done it.

I get that it's their 40th anniversary, and I respect paying tribute but to try and do a show like this a few years ago, playing charts that they've played more than enough, doing a show like last year's about rising up from the ashes, and now it's throwback time again, just doesn't seem like a smart move in terms of recruitment and performance.

I wish them well, I really do, and I'm not trying #### in anyones Cheerios, but I'll stand by what I said, and I'll add that they'll probalby place lower than 15th. I hate saying that, as I am actually a fan of the corps, but I think they missed the boat on this one.

I wish them well, I really do, and I'm not trying #### in anyones Cheerios, but I'll stand by what I said, and I'll add that they'll probalby place lower than 15th.

You may be right about that. Of course, seeing that the defending 18th place corps has placed below 15th in 34 of the past 36 years, the odds are stacked in your favor.

You may be right about that. Of course, seeing that the defending 18th place corps has placed below 15th in 34 of the past 36 years, the odds are stacked in your favor.

I think you may need to take a look at Corpsreps or From the Pressbox. Since first competing in DCI, Spirit has only placed lower than 15th place about ten times (I did a rather quick count so I may be off a year or two, give or take). Between 2011 and 2013, Spirit made finals.

I think you may need to take a look at Corpsreps or From the Pressbox. Since first competing in DCI, Spirit has only placed lower than 15th place about ten times (I did a rather quick count so I may be off a year or two, give or take). Between 2011 and 2013, Spirit made finals.

Unfortunately, for the 2014 and 2015 seasons there were major changes in staff and direction. And, likewise for this 2016 season. We won't know the end result until we see the show on the field.

As always, hoping for great things.

• Like 1

This is just not at all smart. No matter which way any SOA alumni or fan tries to twist it, it just is a huge, and in my opinion, uninformed and uneducated mistake. As bold a statement as this is, I am going to make it- the caring but horribly misguided alumni are killing their own corps. PLEASE! hire current. modern day, indoor and outdoor show design experts before you lose all face and any recruiting strength you have left.

Why did you let the 2011-2013 team slip away from you alumni? WHY?

Ughh. This makes me sad and frustrated. Tired of losing drum corps.