Spirit of Atlanta

The Spirit of Atlanta Corps is clearly in a transition mode at the moment, and looking to find their way. Going back to their roots here, is not such a bad place to be... not at all. I actually like the theme, music choices selected, and look forward to seeing what it looks like when they bring it to the field, and wish them the best this season.

• Like 1

I think you may need to take a look at Corpsreps or From the Pressbox. Since first competing in DCI, Spirit has only placed lower than 15th place about ten times (I did a rather quick count so I may be off a year or two, give or take). Between 2011 and 2013, Spirit made finals.

What I was saying is that whichever corps finishes 18th is highly unlikely to place higher than 16th the following year, as that has only happened twice in the past 36 years.

This is just not at all smart. No matter which way any SOA alumni or fan tries to twist it, it just is a huge, and in my opinion, uninformed and uneducated mistake. As bold a statement as this is, I am going to make it- the caring but horribly misguided alumni are killing their own corps. PLEASE! hire current. modern day, indoor and outdoor show design experts before you lose all face and any recruiting strength you have left.

Why did you let the 2011-2013 team slip away from you alumni? WHY?

Ughh. This makes me sad and frustrated. Tired of losing drum corps.

You (and the public) are not privy to the inner workings of the corps and what has changed in recent times. That's a decision consciously made by the corps - some things are better left unsaid. So, the 2011-2013 team existed and did their jobs, and it went reasonably well. Things changed after 13. Things always change. For reasons that are not public information, the staff changed. I'd ask you to notice though, that the board didn't really change until 2016. Food for thought. It may help point to who the real culprit has been. Maybe something wasn't working and now that they've gotten fresh people (read: new leaders) working from the top down and from the bottom up and every which way in between, things will be different. Not saying by any means that it will be enough to get them 100% where they want to go in only one year, but at the very least, this ain't your grandpa's Spirit of Atlanta. Edited by rr4353

Not saying they'll make finals, but you'll definitely see a new and improved direction for the corps. I would encourage you to go to a camp and see for yourself. Speak with people who have been around, if you aren't able to go yourself. Let them show you with their actions - it's an impressive turnaround since August.

Edited by rr4353
  • Like 1

Not saying they'll make finals, but you'll definitely see a new and improved direction for the corps. I would encourage you to go to a camp and see for yourself. Speak with people who have been around, if you aren't able to go yourself. Let them show you with their actions - it's an impressive turnaround since August.

My question is then, what's different since 2014? Loads of staff changes, both instructional and design, among other issues behind the scenes, including financial stability, so how is 2016 going to be different?

I'm sure great things are happening at camps, but that's the case at probably most corps if depending on who you ask.

I'll hope they have a better season, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

You're right, there have been a lot of changes since 2014. A lot of internal politics were resolved after the last season. So there is now a clear and crystallized vision for what they want the corps to be and there is no one in their way to stop the corps from achieving that. They've battled obstacle after obstacle and the fact that they're so energized and galvanized around this season, to me, gives me more than hope.

Edited by rr4353

You're right, there have been a lot of changes since 2014. A lot of internal politics were resolved after the last season. So there is now a clear and crystallized vision for what they want the corps to be and there is no one in their way to stop the corps from achieving that. They've battled obstacle after obstacle and the fact that they're so energized and galvanized around this season, to me, gives me more than hope.

The hard part for those on the outside looking in, is that those things are not seen until the corps starts to have success again.

I sincerely hope that this is the case. Lord knows that Madison has had its share of issues since around 2000 when the first attempt to get rid of Scott Stewart was made, and up until 2015 there were many ups and downs, so I know where you are coming from with the hope.

Here's to hoping that this is all true and Spirit turns a lot of head's this summer.

• Like 1

The hard part for those on the outside looking in, is that those things are not seen until the corps starts to have success again.

I sincerely hope that this is the case. Lord knows that Madison has had its share of issues since around 2000 when the first attempt to get rid of Scott Stewart was made, and up until 2015 there were many ups and downs, so I know where you are coming from with the hope.

Here's to hoping that this is all true and Spirit turns a lot of head's this summer.

Well, this proves your point. I had no idea Madison was having the same kinds of issues. Probably good that it's not publicized! It's good to hear that they're on solid footing, they were on fire last year and hopefully they'll only go upward from here.

I would like to see them try some of the lesser played songs they played in their most competitive years such as nutville and higher & higher.