The Cavaliers 2016

There's no point of view here. It's simply a mishmash of juxtaposed imagery, without conscience or insight.

Sorry, but that comment indicates a failure in understanding that an occasional principle of "modern art" (a phrase used most often in a disparaging fashion, by people who think Kincade was a genius...) is NOT to impose conscience or meaning, preferring to leave it up to the individual viewer to interpret the piece in whatever fashion makes sense to them.

So I guess by that standard, they're succeeding pretty well.

but if you prefer, here's some 'real' art. Can you spot the bunny?

Screen_Shot_2015-05-02_at_4.21.31_PM.png

Edited by Slingerland

There have been other political shows through the years in addition to Garfield in 1971. Suncoast's Vietman show in 84 was pretty provocative for the time. There were many people upset at the view Suncoast took with their show. Also, how about Crossmen's Songs for the Planet Earth shows in the early 90's? Not too political at the time I guess, but they would surely be political today.

There have been other political shows through the years in addition to Garfield in 1971. Suncoast's Vietman show in 84 was pretty provocative for the time. There were many people upset at the view Suncoast took with their show. Also, how about Crossmen's Songs for the Planet Earth shows in the early 90's? Not too political at the time I guess, but they would surely be political today.

Crossmen also did Fragile in 2012

I really don't like this type of show, but I won't stop liking the Cavaliers because of it. As far as I'm concerned, if Cavaliers win it all in Indy I'll be thrilled! The one video of 2016 Cavaliers I did view gave me the imagery of current day protests at candidate rallies. Several of those have been violent, crude, hateful, and whatever else you choose to see in them. This IS a highly-charged upcoming election. It is expected to grow worse as we get closer to the vote.

For me, it's not about Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian. Not registered as one of those. This is matter of me being tired of so much tension in the air. Not appealing. From what I've viewed, the show is designed with MANY different images and sounds of various differing opinions over the years. More than enough to "set the table" for this show theme.

Looks to me, this Cavaliers corps is on a path to place higher than the past few years. EXCELLENT!

My suggestion is to simply drop either the Reagan,or the Trump audio referring to a wall. Why alienate anyone over such a brief section of audio? Easy to remove. Many other contrasting references remain in the program, but, in the spirit of the 2016 show, I DEMAND . . . .

LESS CONFLICT

More Green!

|______________________________|

| |

| |

| |

| |

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

Looking forward to this show becoming more clear as the season goes on. I had a friend who attended some of their rehearsals last week and she said there is some Hilary Clinton speech making fun of businessmen immediately followed by someone bashing her as the "most corrupt presidential candidate ever". No one has mentioned that yet, so not sure if it's clear in the jumble of the different layers going on in that segment of the show. I don't think they are choosing sides, sounds like they are poking a stick at every side of the political debate.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this show becoming more clear as the season goes on. I had a friend who attended some of their rehearsals last week and she said there is some Hilary Clinton speech making fun of businessmen immediately followed by someone bashing her as the "most corrupt presidential candidate ever". No one has mentioned that yet, so not sure if it's clear in the jumble of the different layers going on in that segment of the show. I don't think they are choosing sides, sounds like they are poking a stick at every side of the political debate.

Yes but what offends us the most is the loudest. Screw the rest.

Thanks for pointing that out. I imagine the Donald Drumpf (oh John Oliver) fans will remain outraged though

I wish all the candidates didn't suck this year, but I digress

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

We're forgetting that this is what Cavaliers want from the viewers. They want to be politically (no pun intended) incorrect. This is what they do. I mean, their show is called Propaganda, did you expect it to be all innocent or did you think it would make people go "they can't do/say that? Can they??" Yet again the Cavaliers succeed at their receptive goals and they happen to be pretty dang good this year too.

It's easy to group inapprorpriate, incendiary images without conscience. I'll list out examples, extemporaneously, from the top of my head.

• Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, Vaginal Circumcision.
  • Lincoln Memorial, White House, Chicken Ranch.
  • Plank Salmon, Ground Chuck Burger, Fetal pig barbecue
  • Donald Trump, Hitler, and FDR!

See? That's easy. Just puke it out, with out conscience, without commentary or responsibility of any kind. You don't even have to explain your point of view. Just mix and match! :notify: Hey this is reckless dada fun!

• Jumbo's Clown Room, Penthouse Club, Children's Orphanage
  • JFK, RFK, John Wayne Gacy
  • Martin Luther King, Florence Nightingale, Oklahoma City Bomber

In August before finals, someone will get around to asking, what's your point of view? I hope they have an answer, because right now there isn't one. It's just TV in a blender. This show is the beginning of Act I before the action starts. It's much harder to produce the end of Act II where the thematic argument is crystal clear.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

Sorry, but that comment indicates a failure in understanding that an occasional principle of "modern art" (a phrase used most often in a disparaging fashion, by people who think Kincade was a genius...) is NOT to impose conscience or meaning, preferring to leave it up to the individual viewer to interpret the piece in whatever fashion makes sense to them.

So I guess by that standard, they're succeeding pretty well.

but if you prefer, here's some 'real' art. Can you spot the bunny?

Screen_Shot_2015-05-02_at_4.21.31_PM.png

If you don't care what others think about the Pollocks you bought, why not use them as diapers? Really. If you don't believe your Pollocks contain a universal meaning shared by most of the world, then you shouldn't be afraid to put your own interpretation on it and use them as adult diapers. Right? Do it.

You sound bitter because you bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of white spattered Pollocks, and your neighbors asked if they could use them as drop cloths! I say lend them to your neighbors, more paint might add value. At this point you have nothing to lose. LOLz.

The Cavaliers can barely put together a promotional trailer with legitimate, well known deceptive propaganda, and they recklessly included speeches by Martin Luther King, a globally respected humanitarian and Nobel Peace Prize winner. That's just egregious, unconscionable, and nonsensical to normal, thinking people. So, frankly, that's what raises the spectre of "do they even know what propaganda is?"

In performance, the objective is to share a universal and unique observation, no matter how dark, twisted or abstract. In performance, you have not just one image up for interpretation, you have a continually changing stage picture, dialogue, activity, emotion and character and the passage of time, all which show a dramatic action, a throughline. At the end of eleven minutes it's almost impossible to hide a specific point of view and thematic argument. But that's what the Cavaliers have intentionally done, simply through puerile avoidant dadaism.

Any child can do what the Cavaliers have done. Place a picture of Barabra Streisand on the left, and crushed hamsters on the right. Done. When's the gallery opening? The real depth of concept comes with a strong point of view, not a bunch of pretty multi-colored question marks.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

In August before finals, someone will get around to asking, what's your point of view? I hope they have an answer, because right now there isn't one. It's just TV in a blender. This show is the beginning of Act I before the action starts. It's much harder to show the end of Act II.

Seems to me you could say this about most corps today. All we see are musical and visual gags without any cohesive message.