2015 - Best Top Six Ever?

Best Top Six Ever? 2015?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Best topic six ever?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

ditto 1980, also 1988, but mostly 1992. 3 'all-timer' shows and that isn't even counting the group that won.

also I'm a firm believer that you don't get to use the term 'ever' in relation to anything until AT LEAST 2 years have passed. a thing can be exciting and good and now without requiring the scaling against all of history.

Edited by 31rabbit
  • Like 2

As evidence - here is your sixth place corps - it's final full practice run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8-dgWNHyQ

This show was so incredibly well designed.

In terms of depth, diversity, and quality of show design, I do think this is the best top 6 ever. As for execution, no.

• Like 1

it's my favorite top 6 ever for sure.

not my favorite top 3, but definitely top 6.

i'm a brass first person, and i had no complaints about the brass books, or more importantly, the brass sounds of any of the top 6 this year. last year, i didn't like scv's sound, but they really turned it around this year.

i also liked the balance of aesthetics in overall show designs for the top 6.

1989.* But I voted "maybe".

*Edited to add:

I'm not sure another sixth-place corps will ever match Star of Indiana's 1989 score of 95.300, which has held up for 26 years (only one other placement's score has held up longer). Admittedly comparisons of raw scores from year to year have limited value, but consider also the spread: Star was just 3.5 points behind the score earned by SCV (itself a record score for the top position that stood for a number of years). By comparison, Blue Knights were 5.8 points behind BD's first-place score this year. Here are the other years in which sixth-place corps was fewer than 4 points behind first place:

3.85 Carolina Crown 2007

3.70 Santa Clara Vanguard 1990

3.60 Phantom Regiment 1988

3.55 Madison Scouts 1980

3.30 Cadets (of Bergen County) 1991

3.20 Bridgemen 1981

Still, this year's was a really good top six!

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

Its impossible to compare the best ever, imo, as the instrumentation useage is not even remotely the same. For example, Drum Corps in the 70's, 80's, 90's could not use what is permissable in performance today. Thus, its like asking us to compare baseball teams and cricket teams. They both have a wooden bat , a ball, a thrower, a plate, bases to run, etc but nobody believes the 2 games are the same in order to detemine if a Brittish squad of 6 cricket teams from 2015 is the best ever compared with the 6 1980 Al East Major League Baseball teams. You have to compare similar things. And nobody believes 1975, 1985, 1995, etc Drum Corps is 2015 Drum Corps. So asking us what is " the best ever " needs to be asked in a decade restricted format, imo. ( ie, 2005-, 2015, or 1975- 1985, etc and so forth.) Including ALL the years, is silly, as it can't possibly be done, imo

Edited by BRASSO

I don't see how comparing drum corps across, say, DCI's 43-year history is supposed to be any different than comparing movies across cinema's 130-year history. Every ten years, the British film magazine Sight & Sound polls hundreds of critics and filmmakers on just that subject and compiles their responses into a top ten list (really, more than that, but the top ten get the publicity). The list makes no differentiation between silent films and sound films, even though those two variations on that artform are farther apart, aesthetically, than the 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen are from the 2015 Blue Devils.

Somehow film critics are perfectly willing to compare this (#11 in the 2012 poll):

to, say, this (#21 in the 2012 poll):

Edited by N.E. Brigand

"What's New" is an interesting and broadening eternal question, but one which, if pursued exclusively, results only in an endless parade of trivia and fashion, the silt of tomorrow. I would like, instead, to be concerned with the question "What is best?," a question which cuts deeply rather than broadly, a question whose answers tend to move the silt downstream.

that wisdom brought to you via Robert Pirsig. he continues:

There are eras of human history in which the channels of thought have been too deeply cut and no change was possible, and nothing new ever happened, and "best" was a matter od dogma, but that is not the situation now. Now the stream of our common consciousness seems to be obliterating its own banks, losing its central direction and purpose, flooding the lowlands, disconnecting and isolating the highlands and to no particular purpose other than the wasteful fulfillment of its own internal momentum. Some channel deepening seems called for.

given that DCP is frequently caught in a civil war between the 'back in the day' ers and the 'Cult of the Now' ers, this fits nicely.

I actually just happened to be reading that currently and thought it apt to share in this discussion of 'best.' carry on.

Edited by 31rabbit