Go Cadets!

Tobias

Yes but up till now he has had little to zero impact on DCA. It's like he comes to the table and discusses new ideas then DCA turns and says " Rochester for 2 more years and Dinosaur BBQ for dinner?" All in favor? Meeting adjourned !

this was his first year as a DCA director. The corps jumped way up the ranks to a strong 2nd. Sounds like when he took over Cadets. Cadets then won 3 times straight. We'll see if he can repeat that magic, but C2 was terrifically improved this season and the whole thing is exciting to watch...

this was his first year as a DCA director. The corps jumped way up the ranks to a strong 2nd. Sounds like when he took over Cadets. Cadets then won 3 times straight. We'll see if he can repeat that magic, but C2 was terrifically improved this season and the whole thing is exciting to watch...

He certainly surprised and surpassed some corps who thought they had them in the rear view mirror for many more years to come .

Edited by camel lips

Yes but up till now he has had little to zero impact on DCA. It's like he comes to the table and discusses new ideas then DCA turns and says " Rochester for 2 more years and Dinosaur BBQ for dinner?" All in favor? Meeting adjourned !

looking at DCA, what's really different from DCI in terms on the field proposals short of any kind of brass.....and DCA is far more cost conscious when it comes to rules proposals with that stuff.

And IMO, the key for C2 this year was bringing in Rich Templin. Rich knows DCA, and helped steer programming in a way that made more sense for the DCA schedule. Rich is a known commodity and probably helped with recruiting. He's also someone that George could trust to leave alone and run the corps while he focused on the DCI world. many on his staff have DCA experience elsewhere as well.

• Like 2

looking at DCA, what's really different from DCI in terms on the field proposals short of any kind of brass.....and DCA is far more cost conscious when it comes to rules proposals with that stuff.

And IMO, the key for C2 this year was bringing in Rich Templin. Rich knows DCA, and helped steer programming in a way that made more sense for the DCA schedule. Rich is a known commodity and probably helped with recruiting. He's also someone that George could trust to leave alone and run the corps while he focused on the DCI world. many on his staff have DCA experience elsewhere as well.

hmmmmmmmmm DUDE!...lol

just the temperment between the HOP and the TEMP is worth the price of any admission..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

Oh Lord how could I forget Rich was with C2 this year.....

LOL when it was first announced I posted something about Rich "gets" DCA.... dang Jimmy called that one....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

hmmmmmmmmm DUDE!...lol

just the temperment between the HOP and the TEMP is worth the price of any admission..lol

Rich has mellowed in his, less then younger age in many ways. The job offer coming happened totally by accident ( you have to hear Rich tell the story). he wasn't looking for it, and when the conversation started it was a totally different topic.

• Like 2

If Rich hadn't mellowed he'd probably wouldn't still be around LOL. Seriously he had a lot of stress trying to build WSM up in the 70s and M&M was one of our weak points. Just too many "kids" coming in who never got taught how to march correctly (raising my hand as I type this). And his way to deal with it was yell.... and then 2 minutes after practice is over ask "So how have you been?" like he hadn't just chew you out earlier.... :tounge2:

Favorite RT story was when we had to rewrite a block of drill (79 Sing Sing Sing drum solo) late in the season and one part we just didn't get. Rich is working another part of the corps so two of us walk over to tell him we're lost. We go over and get yelled at to get back and he'll be there. OK..... we go back... Rich gets to us and tells us to go thru the rewritten bit. We suck and it's "You guys don't look like you know what you're doing!!!". Response was "That's what we trying to tell you a minute ago". Bunch of swear words later a calmed down Rich starts talking us thru it..... No hard feelings from anyone but if a non-corps person had stopped by ---> :wow:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

George sent "me" a letter:

cadets2OFFICIAL_logo_1200px.jpg

Congrats to the truly OUTSTANDING performing ensemble - Cadets2 2015

DONATE NOW

Hi X,

Cadets2_guard_redsquare_2015.jpgIn case you do not follow along, in the world of Drum Corps Associates, Youth Education in the Arts presents an ensemble each year called Cadets2.

They look like The Cadets, they march like The Cadets, their teachers are many times Cadets, and they even sound like The Cadets. The mission is the same; the values are the same. They stand at attention during retreat, and they walk in twos to warm-up.

They are Cadets!

Of course, there are some differences. They do not go on tour, rather they are a weekend-only corps. The membership is a bit younger. They do not have the same level of support as The Cadets, nor do they spend as much money or require ALL of the resources of The Cadets National Touring Ensemble.

This weekend at the DCA Championships, this four-year-old drum corps placed second, defeating corps that have been successful in the DCA arena for many, many years.

DCA Finals Results from Rochester, N.Y.

1. Buccaneers - 97.58
2. Cadets2 - 96.33
3. Minnesota Brass - 95.40
4. Caballeros - 94.88
5. Atlanta CV - 93.83
6. Kidsgrove Scouts - 91.90
7. Fusion Core - 89.75
8. White Sabers - 88.33
9. Sunrisers - 85.38
10. Hurricanes - 83.80

Cadets2 started in 2012. After an excellent first two seasons, the corps faltered a bit in 2014, and we decided that if YEA! was going to dedicate the time and financial resources to the corps, we needed to see once and for all if this all-age drum corps idea was something we could make happen.

So, I personally became the director, I brought in people with experience to assist , we recruited like wild people during the off-season, we invested financially to make sure they had all that they needed, and, well, we did all we could to ensure that C2 had the best of all opportunities.

And the corps was filled with 128 members, they worked hard, they ate well, they traveled well, and you can see from the scores that they performed well.

In fact, I was there over many of the weekends including these last four, and this version of the Cadets was simply magnificent. We were a success.

C2Pit2015_keyboard.jpg

So What's Next for Cadets2?

What Cadets2 does not have is a financial base. Few people go to shows, so we do not sell a ton of T-shirts. As a young corps, we do not have a donor base, and, well YEA! invests between $70,000 and $100,000 a year to keep the ensemble going.

Considering how we do all this, this is not a terrible number:

• Our facility bill is $70,000 for high-school rentals
  • Our bus bills are $40,000
  • We spend a good deal to keep the members and staff well-fed

We do not charge the members a high fee to participate, although we do ask more of them than most DCA corps. But unlike other corps, we offer housing, transportation and food.

We take care of our Cadets2 members just as if they were The Cadets! And they are!

So, we are launching a campaign. The Friends of Cadets2 begins now.

Our goal is to get 200 donors and raise $25,000 in September, as we work to launch a true fan club!

I have to say, I admire the Reading Buccaneers and their crazy fans at the Championships. We can do that; ! am sure we can do that.

So, please click here to take a look at the donor form. If you have purchased tickets to see The Cadets, or you are an alumnus or a fan, can you consider a gift to C2?

One crazy expense we have as a part of this effort is the need to purchase 150 hotel rooms for the members in Rochester during DCA Championship Weekend.

Eventually, we would like ALL of those rooms to go to fans, but for now, the corps stayed in the hotel, and the cost was $14,280. OUCH!

So why not give $100 or $250 to this new venture? Cadets2 matters to these kids, and somehow, we need to make sense of what we are doing here. Perhaps C2 is not totally self-supporting, but with your help, I think we can get much much closer.

Take a look at what the kids and their parents think:

"Hi Mr. Hopkins. My daughter, Adrianna Cunning just finished her first season of drum corps with Cadets2. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for providing such a wonderful opportunity for young musicians. From the high level of instruction to the professionalism of the corps, Cadets2 is truly a first-class organization. It stand out against the other groups. I'm thrilled that my daughter was a part of it this year! Thanks again for all that you do. " - Abigail Cunning

"C2 has been THE best experience of my life! I've never had so much fun with so many like-minded people, pushed myself so hard, and have never dared to believe that I could achieve my dreams. I learned how to work so hard, and now know that I can do anything I truly want to do if I give it my all and strive to be the best I can be. Excellence is the new standard, and I will forever know that I have a brotherhood of friends that I marched with who share the same ideals." 2015 Cadets2 Member

"I plan on auditioning for the Cadets next year, and I can say thanks C2, for giving me an experience that has changed my life and that has given me the desire to be great no matter what I'm doing, and that has given me the work ethic and means to be successful! For I now know that no matter what I do, I WILL be successful because I'm going to put in 100%, and I know now that there truly is joy with hard work!" - Robert Browne, 2015 Tuba Section Leader

As you can see, this organization, just like The Cadets, makes a profound impact on young lives each season.

Please join us in this great endeavor at one of the following levels of giving:

$1,000 - Director Level
$500 - Caption Supervisor Level
$250 - Instructor Level
$100 - Drum Major Level
$50 - Section Leader Level
$25 - Member Level

Thank you so much for your support of The Cadets Ensembles in 2015. I hope you will join us as we continue to push the boundaries of what is possible and assist great young people in their journey to become magnificent human beings.

Gratefully,

GeorgeHopkins_Signature.jpg

George Hopkins
Director, The Cadets and Cadets2