DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

Simply put - If you want fans to attend a drum corps show to see a competition, DCA needs to become competitive again.

Here's the explanation.

DCA had it's most competitive top 6 since probably 1987.

• Like 1

I disagree with your theory that it is the fault of the Bucs winning so many times because quite frankly every other group has become more competitive because of the Bucs. It isn't their fault they are doing it better than the rest are. The shows that won 10-15 years ago would never come in the Top 5 now.

Your theory is like saying people stopped going to baseball games because The Yankees have 27 rings. Nope. That isn't the answer Lee. It sounds great to drag it out and repeat it as the reason, but it is far from the solution to the problem.

4 times you win then you're exhibition only will kill a corps. People aren't going to want to march.

and the score is 50% GE now.

• Like 1

I think once DCI figures out that it can keep a bunch of DCA ticket buyers in INDY for DCI championships by Holding DCA championships on Monday and Tuesday and making DCI/ DCA a WEEK LONG EVENT everyone is going to make a lot of money. But then again its going to take some forward thinking people to come off the PAST, The carved in stone Labor day weekend and some give and take on both sides.

except Open class runs Monday and Tuesday. they are not going to run two events at the same time miles apart. And DCI isn't going to run unless they get the lions share of the money.

Why?

No, really. Why? DCA corps are not, under any circumstances, going to allow championships to be held on any weekday, let alone a weekday in August, in Indianapolis. No drum corps is going to start with membership day/rehearsals before Thanksgiving weekend, for the simple reason that most competitive marching band circuits don't end until early or mid-November.

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, or are trying to use a sledgehammer instead of a fly-swatter to kill the fly.

agreed. you won't get the crossover DCi folks on Monday and Tuesday. the 2/3000 that do go are up in Michigan City for Open Class, and I'm probably generous with that number. And we all know if you move it out of the NE, you will lose fans that just won't travel. We've seen on here and on social media the fans that wouldn't travel to Annapolis because of distance, and the same with Rochester. And to date I don't think I've seen any show outside of the NE post a paid attendance number......and those that are run aren't exactly near Indy.

and as I said earlier, DCI has no incentive to do anything to work with DCA on this unless they get the bulk of the money.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll bite.

How will moving DCA championships to Indianapolis, and holding it on a Monday and Tuesday in early August going to make money for anyone?

Be specific. We'll wait.

Especially since the travel costs for almost every corps in DCA would go up quite a bit for buses alone. If they were held in A-Town there would be significant cost savings for.... a vast majority of the DCA participants, some exceptions...

Gotta chime in on one issue here. I have to respectfully disagree with the concept of increasing attendance by "making DCA more competitive". First of all, I'm not sure what is implied by that. Let's call a spade a spade and focus this conversation on Bucs. Their winning streak is unprecedented and like them or not they have been at the pinnacle of the activity for a very long time. Are we supposed to just give another corps a championship just because Bucs have been too long at the top? REALLY? If that's the case, I don't want it.

I am in one of those corps chasing Buccaneers and I can guarantee you that it is because of their excellence, and that of others, that my corps has gotten significantly better over the past several years. There is absolutely nothing I would like to see more than my corps being announced in first place, but when/if that should ever happen, I want to know that we beat Bucs (or Cabs, or MBI or C2 or whomever) at their best. I am not interested in a hollow gift of a championship. The same argument happens on the DCI side with people complaining about Blue Devils. Who do you think is driving the continued growth and improvement of the other corps?

Bucs...you just keep on raising that bar. It's pushing us and driving us to better and better products. I don't have the answer to DCA's attendance issues but I can tell you they are not due to the success of any one of it's member corps. I would like to think that it is the quality of our product that puts people in the seats...not the number of championships we have. If that were the case then our home show would have zero attendance since we have zero Open Class championships. Doesn't make sense to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

• Like 6

DCA had it's most competitive top 6 since probably 1987.

1972 was mentioned during Finals (Gil S maybe?)..... I can vouch for Top 3 in 1975 and 1975 didn't have a corps pop up into 2nd like C2 did.....

When have you seen a DCI ad locally? Ever.

Many times. Shows have run ads in newspapers, and via internet. TV commercials have been run, both for championship week and for other shows. I have seen banners over streets and messages on hotel and church signs announcing upcoming shows. Flyers in area restaurants are common. Once I even heard a drum corps show plug slipped into a TV weather report. Championships in Madison had radio stations hyping DCI events all week, and you could not travel two blocks anywhere in the greater Madison area without seeing some reference to DCI on a hotel, church or school sign.

I never imagined this would become a bone of contention.

I disagree with your theory that it is the fault of the Bucs winning so many times because quite frankly every other group has become more competitive because of the Bucs.

Yes. And as evidence of that, the Buccaneers only won by a point, not "seven light years" as Lee Rudnicki suggests.

• Like 1