Not always the Midas touch...

I would think they would largely be different people during the summer and winter. Anyone know how many SCV winter guard people actually do go to school in the Santa Clara area? Are there people who aren't in school who can dedicate all day to it during the school year? I don't know.

Anyway, I've always assumed that winter guard is generally a local thing due to the school year, and also a part time activity for the same reason. Meanwhile, the top DCI guards can get the best in the country and in the world. And work them all day, every day, all summer long.

Remember a WGI world guard has no age limit (SCV) and there actually are many who travel the country just to march a winter somewhere. With that said I would say many do not march the summer.

Edited by GUARDLING

the big issue the guard ran into is the area is loaded with independent guards that compete in up to 5 circuits in the region, ranging from beginners to World Class. The drumline took off from day in an area NOT loaded with independent percussion programs. Thus the ability of the percussion to grab top talent and staff was far easier. The guard came a long way over the winter, and in the opinion of more qualified guard people than I, they probably should have started in A, not Open. I don't view the program as a failure. Given some things going on, I expect the guard to be back in time, and better than ever.

heard rumors about the HQ move too, as where they are now is part of the city's next big downtown blow up and rebuild area.

the big issue the guard ran into is the area is loaded with independent guards that compete in up to 5 circuits in the region, ranging from beginners to World Class. The drumline took off from day in an area NOT loaded with independent percussion programs. Thus the ability of the percussion to grab top talent and staff was far easier. The guard came a long way over the winter, and in the opinion of more qualified guard people than I, they probably should have started in A, not Open. I don't view the program as a failure. Given some things going on, I expect the guard to be back in time, and better than ever.

heard rumors about the HQ move too, as where they are now is part of the city's next big downtown blow up and rebuild area.

more than rumors according to YEA office staffers who say the landlord has sold the building for big bucks to a developer who will demolish and build something new and other.

Remember a WGI world guard has no age limit (SCV) and there actually are many who travel the country just to march a winter somewhere. With that said I would say many do not march the summer.

Ah I did not know that. Has anyone done an age breakdown of top winter guards?

Ah I did not know that. Has anyone done an age breakdown of top winter guards?

well if youre talking world guards. Most if not all are well above the HS and many above college age. I know of of few with members well into their 30s and even 40s in the past few years. Many in their mid to late 20s for sure.

Many wc guards won't take anyone under 18.

Edited by GUARDLING

WGI had challenges in early years. Some as young as 6 were performing in the gym. It grew to allow those that loved movement to grow into the movement. There are guards with young people that will never go to finals but love to spin. There are older members that never stopped spinning. There are guards that can go to finals in Dayton with passion and fire. WGI and winter guard in general, is a remarkable story that is complex and inclusive of the visual interpretation of music indoors. The movement may have started from a few drum corps guard members who were bored with basics :)

Cadets Winter Guard to Remain on Sideline for 2016

CWG2015_flag_purple.jpgGeorge Hopkins, CEO of Youth Education in the Arts, has announced that for the coming winter season, the organization will not be presenting an indoor color guard ensemble.

YEA! will, however, continue to manage Cadets Winter Percussion for the ensemble's third consecutive season this winter.

In making the announcement, Hopkins said, “We need more clarity on the purpose and direction of the indoor guard. Is it to train students for The Cadets or Cadets2, or is it a stand-alone program? What level of performance are we looking for? We are simply not prepared to entertain the discussion at this time. There is so much going on at YEA! with over 130 USBands events and many other programs, and it has come down to a decision as to where we can best commit our time and financial resources.”

The organization hopes to present an indoor color guard in 2017. For now, The Cadets, Cadets2, and Cadets Winter Percussion will make up the portfolio of programs known as, THE CADETS.

YEA! would like to thank Debbie and Lauryn Heller for their work in the first year of Cadets Winter Guard. Their time and effort was well known and very much appreciated.

For more information on any of The Cadets' ensembles, please go to cadets.org.

One thing a great man said to me was, "never fold/cancel during the middle of the season." I think it was Bill Cook in the mid/late 90s.

Obviously this is not a financial thing, but props to YEA! for not jumping in w/out clarity of direction. The staff & members invest too much time and resources into a WGI season to go in w/out 100% clarity of the vision, goals, purpose, etc. of the unit.