Cadets 2016

Tobias

Personally I am excited by the changes to the visual teams and the stability in the music captions

Hoping for some freshness to the visual side of things

Jmo

Personally I am excited by the changes to the visual teams and the stability in the music captions

Jmo

I want that great Cadets guard back. I hate to see them getting beat up on. Would be cool to see those large flags they had in the 90s again (yeah, I know its not gonna happen, but just saying).

Just as an aside, as it doesn't warrant it's own thread, but I got sucked into a YouTube wormhole last night watching Cadets '93 videos. There is one full show run vid that focused on one particular mello player - holy cow was he running throughout that show. And the keyboards in the pit - they nailed that insane run in the closer in every one of the vids.

Mike

That being said and while others pontificate about Darryl and Marc, let it be noted that neither of them in these current decades have lasted long on anyone's staff, including Cadets.

Besides being the master at number and horn placements, etc. Jeff was the master at organization, communication, and ensemble clarity in what was expected, how it was expected, and when it was expected. Kids were never made to feel like a set of rolled dice, even when the design staff kept changing minds (and endings, etc.) Kids were always respected as the young adults, talented and intelligent as they are, never as guinea pigs or experimentation.

I don't have that confidence (yet) either with Sully nor Darryl based on my previous seasons with them and watching their revolving doors of faculty assignments during the last two decades.

There may be some truth to this, but what must be assessed is what the expectations were for those other corps (or bands) that Marc and Darryl have worked with. Revolving door situations happen for lots of reasons, not just the assumption that the instructor failed or doesn't stay anywhere very long. Marc has been sought out for years by many bands and corps because of what he did with Garfield, Cadets of Bergen County, The Cadets. His style is unique and it worked really well with Cadets. Other groups have hired him because they wanted him to bring the magic, but in other situations things don't always line-up that way. I thought his work with Blue Knights in helping to bring them forward competitively and creatively was super amazing, but there is no doubt his style is not suited for everyone.

Jmo

It is a great opportunity not to be squandered.

The challenge today is to balance the expectations of the incoming rookies who grow up wanting to do and be Cadets or Regiment or Troopers hoping to do as excellently what they have watched being done so well by those iconic corps during the MMs growing years.

The other side is where the activity is competitively today and in the future and what a corps must do to be given the continued ratings of excellence in this season and next.

As the local Jewish rabbi says often, "We live in interesting times."

Allow me to offer some perspective to this long rundown of changes we are now seeing with The Cadets.

Much like BD, the Cadets have been lucky to have some amazing coordinators and staff over the years, and for periods of time they have had strong stability with their staff, often keeping the bulk of a design team together for 8 to 10 years at a time. Great staff, talented musicians and marchers, a hard-working executive, and lots of support among alumni, volunteers, and other admins has made the Cadets one of the premiere drum and bugle corps in America.

This is a corps that from 1982 to now (34 years) has achieved the following:

• 10 DCI World Titles (that's a title every 3.4 years)
  • 7 second place finishes
  • 6 third place finishes
  • So in the last 34 years they have been top 3 a whopping 23 times
  • They have been top 4 a total of 30 times in the last 34 years
  • They have placed lower than 4th a total of 4 times (1989, 1991, 2006, 2010)
  • They have only been out of the top 5 ONE TIME in 34 years (1991, the ABC's of Modern American Music, 6th place).

A lot of folks are concentrating too much on the internal struggles, their disagreements with GH, creative differences with current staff vs where they would like to see the Cadets move to, and stuff of that nature. For me, I've been around this activity a LONG time (1978 was my first viewing of Finals on PBS), and I can tell you that sometimes these things happen, even to some of the best drum corps.

Every 8 to 10 years you will have some sort of a shake-up at the top (perhaps with the exception of the Blue Devils), and often it can be alarming and confusing, but in the long run it's probably best. The activity is competitive. People can get at each other, even when they mean well. What used to be a great drill design or brass book tends to change over the years. Styles change, the marchers are coming from a different era today, with different needs.

This was bound to happen to the Cadets. We saw this happen to the Cavaliers not long ago with losing Gaines, the drum staff, brass staff, Saucedo, and now Scott Koter is stepping down. It's taken the Cavaliers a while to find their footing, but they've been pretty good the last few years (at least until they all got sick at the end of last season).

We saw this happen to SCV, Troopers, and even the Bluecoats in the late 1990s going into the early 2000s. Now with Dave Glasgow and staff they are rocking the joint and creating really cool shows of super high quality.

I would imagine the Cadets will be really good next year. They have a lot of tradition and tend to attract super talented kids.

Despite much of the doom-and-gloom sentiment being spilled, the last 5 years have seen the Cadets take 1st, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, and 4th. Not bad!!

Now, there is no doubt that the way they finished the last 2 years was certainly disappointing for the corps. They were running 2nd all summer in 2014. In fact, with the exception of BD, they didn't lose to anyone else all summer...until Finals night. The ending of their show probably hurt more than it helped. Otherwise I still LOVE that show. This past summer they looked like the front-runners for about half the season, winning the first two major regional competitions and plenty of shows. The all-black uni certainly hurt, but not being able to clean their massive and incredibly hard visual show was likely more the reason they took 4th. They never got the guard staged well enough into the drill, and the GE never quite came about as they had hoped.

My own personal opinion on that show was that it was like 1993 Cadets (and others have eluded to this as well). Crazy drill, crazy hard music, with a few modern wrinkles. But unlike the 1990s, when demand counted for a bit more, today you must clean it and you must show more visual tricks other than marching fast. I think the Cadets need to take a look at what worked last year and work hard at injecting some new ideas and concepts into their shows.

Judging by their history, I'm pretty sure they will figure out a way to be great. :)

Edited by jwillis35

Allow me to offer some perspective to this long rundown of changes we are now seeing with The Cadets.

Much like BD, the Cadets have been lucky to have some amazing coordinators and staff over the years, and for periods of time they have had strong stability with their staff, often keeping the bulk of a design team together for 8 to 10 years at a time. Great staff, talented musicians and marchers, a hard-working executive, and lots of support among alumni, volunteers, and other admins has made the Cadets one of the premiere drum and bugle corps in America.

• 6 third place finishes
  • They have only been out of the top 5 ONE TIME in 34 years (1991, the ABC's of Modern American Music, 6th place).

A lot of folks are concentrating too much on the internal struggles, their disagreements with GH, creative differences with current staff vs where they would like to see the Cadets move to, and stuff of that nature. For me, I've been around this activity a LONG time (1978 was my first viewing of Finals on PBS), and I can tell you that sometimes these things happen, even to some of the best drum corps.

Every 8 to 10 years you will have some sort of a shake-up at the top (perhaps with the exception of the Blue Devils), and often it can be alarming and confusing, but in the long run it's probably best. The activity is competitive. People can get at each other, even when they mean well. What used to be a great drill design or brass book tends to change over the years. Styles change, the marchers are coming from a different era today, with different needs.

This was bound to happen to the Cadets. We saw this happen to the Cavaliers not long ago with losing Gaines, the drum staff, brass staff, Saucedo, and now Scott Koter is stepping down. It's taken the Cavaliers a while to find their footing, but they've been pretty good the last few years (at least until they all got sick at the end of last season).

We saw this happen to SCV, Troopers, and even the Bluecoats in the late 1990s going into the early 2000s. Now with Dave Glasgow and staff they are rocking the joint and creating really cool shows of super high quality.

I would imagine the Cadets will be really good next year. They have a lot of tradition and tend to attract super talented kids.

Despite much of the doom-and-gloom sentiment being spilled, the last 5 years have seen the Cadets take 1st, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, and 4th. Not bad!!

Now, there is no doubt that the way they finished the last 2 years was certainly disappointing for the corps. They were running 2nd all summer in 2014. In fact, with the exception of BD, they didn't lose to anyone else all summer...until Finals night. The ending of their show probably hurt more than it helped. Otherwise I still LOVE that show. This past summer they looked like the front-runners for about half the season, winning the first two major regional competitions and plenty of shows. The all-black uni certainly hurt, but not being able to clean their massive and incredibly hard visual show was likely more the reason they took 4th. They never got the guard staged well enough into the drill, and the GE never quite came about as they had hoped.

My own personal opinion on that show was that it was like 1993 Cadets (and others have eluded to this as well). Crazy drill, crazy hard music, with a few modern wrinkles. But unlike the 1990s, when demand counted for a bit more, today you must clean it and you must show more visual tricks other than marching fast. I think the Cadets need to take a look at what worked last year and work hard at injecting some new ideas and concepts into their shows.

Judging by their history, I'm pretty sure they will figure out a way to be great. :)

I love you.

• 6 third place finishes

^YES.