Cadets 2016

Tobias

No.

Sure they have. Say... 200 kids were there this weekend that were "too young, too short, too tall, too rotund, too skinny, too (pick the reason)" and 100 go home with out a call back. At $150 audition/camp fee per individual. $15,000. Add to that the other 100 who get called back to pay again should they return? $$ Many corps make many dollars at audition camps.

Sure they have. Say... 200 kids were there this weekend that were "too young, too short, too tall, too rotund, too skinny, too (pick the reason)" and 100 go home with out a call back. At $150 audition/camp fee per individual. $15,000. Add to that the other 100 who get called back to pay again should they return? $$ Many corps make many dollars at audition camps.

I don't like your implication in the context of THIS conversation. It is what it is. However it is also a great education value and experience for the attendees. Cadets for example are EXTREMELY upfront about the typical age, experience level of successful candidates. They've also provide another corps (C2) which is a second money-losing proposition to gain further experience.

That's the spirit!

I'm curious as to what age the Cadets consider too young? If corps have a too young policy , shouldn't they mention it in their audition information? Or do they let the person audition and then tell them they're too young?

As someone else answered, they don't seem to have an official policy, but the decision seemed to be made as soon as the caption head's eyes saw the "birthdate" (he's 15; will turn 16 right after move-in). We knew it was a long shot, but we're only 45 minutes away and wanted him to get a feel for what Cadets was like, for future reference. He's still scheduled for Boston in two weeks.

Kristy can clean the #### out of a guard. She kind of reminds me of April.

Well if this is the case, I am looking forward to seeing if the Cadets guard will be much better this upcoming season.

As someone else answered, they don't seem to have an official policy, but the decision seemed to be made as soon as the caption head's eyes saw the "birthdate" (he's 15; will turn 16 right after move-in). We knew it was a long shot, but we're only 45 minutes away and wanted him to get a feel for what Cadets was like, for future reference. He's still scheduled for Boston in two weeks.

Well I have no information as to why your son was cut, but i think it is great that he has decided to march elsewhere. That builds chops and experience; something he will have on his "resume" if and when he decides to try out for Cadets again. But the other thing is he may decide he loves Boston and completes a career with them instead. Neither idea is a bad thing as they are both great corps.

• Like 1

Audition camps have become a source of income. (And subsequent call back camps, I suppose)

Oh, they absolutely have for *some* corps. It's a great way to generate cash. Some folks here will deny it, but it's the truth. And it's not a bad thing, either, as long as the corps is providing value for that dollar.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Kristy can clean the #### out of a guard. She kind of reminds me of April.

hmmmm i can see where you might think this BUT there are very big and vital differences, especially needed to be a champion and producing, as well as getting the most out of a real World Class product.

All the best to those involved. " Cadets "A true class act for over 80 years

Edited by GUARDLING

Well if this is the case, I am looking forward to seeing if the Cadets guard will be much better this upcoming season.

She literally SOUNDS like April while cleaning the guard. I did a double take when she was working C2 prior to DCA

hmmmm i can see where you might think this BUT there are very big and vital differences, especially needed to be a champion and producing, as well as getting the most out of a real World Class product.

All the best to those involved. " Cadets "A true class act for over 80 years

April was a newb when she got the Cadets spot in World Class.

Oh, they absolutely have for *some* corps. It's a great way to generate cash. Some folks here will deny it, but it's the truth. And it's not a bad thing, either, as long as the corps is providing value for that dollar.

That's fine. The implication made here was that they weren't "up front" and were just trying to make a quick buck off kids totally not ready for the Cadets. They are VERY upfront about the realistic chances IMO