Cadets 2016

Tobias

I think you are right.

I don't believe that great, long standing organizations just become dirty (perhaps it can happen, but it isn't happening to the Cadets).

This is, again, about dancing with the date you came with.

Ultimately it is good to clean a show, but you can only clean the show that you have.

I don't think it is a bad show, it's just one of those 4-5th place shows that great corps put out on occasion.

I remember being in the Bluecoats while the group was coming in to the identity that they have fostered today... and we were constantly pushed to be cleaner...

We took the prodding with a bit of frustration, because we KNEW that the show was written such that it could only contend at a certain bracket... no matter how much cleaner we became.

I don't mean this in any derogatory or defamatory way... but it is the essence of the old 'lipstick on a pig' saying at play here.

They are going to compete for 4th with the way that this production reads as a concept and as a montage of visual, musical, and theatrical narrative moments.

Agreed. I think the judges "just clean it" is a nicer than saying your show sucks. (In our opinion). Hopefully they do something grand with closer and try to nail 4th in INDY. Sigh... Edited by Tobias

So where does Cadets go in 2017? They are in search of a new contemporary identity that puts them back at the forefront of the activity, as they were in the 80/90s and early 2000s. What changes do they need to make....especially to their design process? If they don't, i fear they are on a slippery slope as Cavies, SCV et al figure all this out.

Cadets can go either way now. Either they clean and start to really contend in the music caption (which is the only way they stay in 4th spot) or they putz around with changes and don't get clean. This show needs to be pristine and WTF with the closer? Worse Cadet closer ever.

We all know the closer will change for the end of season push. The problem is all the closers of the top corps will change for the end of the season push. Ultimately, the closer change for Cadets is unlikely to push them up to medal contention unless they really pull a rabbit (or statue of a rabbit) out of their hat. Outside of the one big closer change we all know is coming, I would say, stop tinkering, and start cleaning in true Cadet style, otherwise, they may be looking upwards at the 4th spot instead of nailing it down.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

So where does Cadets go in 2017? They are in search of a new contemporary identity that puts them back at the forefront of the activity, as they were in the 80/90s and early 2000s. What changes do they need to make....especially to their design process? If they don't, i fear they are on a slippery slope as Cavies, SCV et al figure all this out.

Too soon to know. Let's see how the next few weeks go.

Good question. And, I think that the first step is for the Cadets team to ask that question of themselves. And, I am confident that they will. Even if they end up with a Gold medal (Ok, I am reaching...but, I can reach), they will do a thorough post mortem of the design execution process that started in 2015. I do think that 2017 will be a pivotal year for Cadets. Which way is up?

(In the meantime, I am going to have a blast seeing how this all plays out.)

I think it is as simple as getting back to the program designs that have worked best for them in recent years.

They can take a simple idea and write a program around it,

Or

They can choose a selection of musical works and build a simple title theme around it (like "Our Favorite Things")

Or

They can go over the top fun... or they can get serious.

Whatever they do, they need to get the whole design team on the same page and write a Cadets show. They need to invest fully on a complete package and get a full version of it learned before the start of the season.

Those are some general steps in the right direction.

I think it's a mistake to put a whole lot of weight on details like uniforms... the trouble with the design is broad, general and diffused.

• Like 2

Well, staff & identity changes can take a while to sort out. I have to think the Cadets have some more transition years ahead of them. Crown started switching to their current percussion staff in 2012, and maybe is starting to get the line and the program they want 5 years later. Cavaliers lost Gaines after 2012 and they look like they will make it back to the top 6 this year.

It takes time to build/rebuild programs. You only have to look at Phantom or Cavaliers to see that many corps struggle with this more than Cadets have to date.

• Like 1

I think it is as simple as getting back to the program designs that have worked best for them in recent years.

They can take a simple idea and write a program around it,

Or

They can choose a selection of musical works and build a simple title theme around it (like "Our Favorite Things")

Or

They can go over the top fun... or they can get serious.

Whatever they do, they need to get the whole design team on the same page and write a Cadets show. They need to invest fully on a complete package and get a full version of it learned before the start of the season.

Those are some general steps in the right direction.

I think it's a mistake to put a whole lot of weight on details like uniforms... the trouble with the design is broad, general and diffused.

I like you

And in other news, the 5th bass drummer is back in the line today.

That is great news!