Cadets 2016

Tobias

Yeah, everything about drum corps is opinion. My opinion, and I believe it to be widely held, is that this program is middling at best, and yes it will probably sparkle by August, but programmatically, it's a loser. Changes are band-aids. The entire aesthetic of the program is second rate and half baked for reasons that other posters have ably articulated in this thread.

There hasn't been a winning design since 2011, and before that maybe 2007. Two in ten years is... not great, competitively. More importantly, I wouldn't characterize any of these programs as particularly memorable or truly enjoyable, with a couple coming in as downright cringeworthy. (Namely 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014.)

Then why do you even bother watching it or injecting your vitriolic disdain into anything concerning Cadets? If someone didn't like something, then logically they wouldn't bother. Your "widely held" opinion doesn't speak for others who may enjoy the show so don't try elevating your thoughts to make it seem as though you're a design guru.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Well, technically, by definition, NO corps has had two "winning designs" in the last ten years, except Blue Devils. So I guess every program director should immediately step down except Blue Devils.

I don't mean winning as in "actually won," but rather, "all things being equal, is well enough put together to potentially win."

The corps hasn't had many of the latter really this millennium.

Then why do you even bother watching it or injecting your vitriolic disdain into anything concerning Cadets? If someone didn't like something, then logically they wouldn't bother. Your "widely held" opinion doesn't speak for others who may enjoy the show so don't try elevating your thoughts to make it seem as though you're a design guru.

You do realize that you are posting to a message board about a subjective activity, right?

Look -- I love the Cadets. This year's program is not Cadets-quality in my opinion and the reason in my somewhat-educated opinion is because of program coordination. Take that for what it's worth.

• Like 4

I don't mean winning as in "actually won," but rather, "all things being equal, is well enough put together to potentially win."

Well who is the arbiter of which show designs that don't actually win were nevertheless potential winners?

Don't worry, they're folding on Friday.

Don't worry, they're folding on Friday.

I was only away for 2 hours but when I see Exitmusic, or Nakedeye, I know there's a rumble!

You do realize that you are posting to a message board about a subjective activity, right?

Look -- I love the Cadets. This year's program is not Cadets-quality in my opinion and the reason in my somewhat-educated opinion is because of program coordination. Take that for what it's worth.

Yeah, and you should realize there are people who don't feel the way you do so spare me the "education". Sometimes showing love for someone is keeping the negativity to yourself, or perhaps taking it to the source.

I very rarely post on here. Members and staff from several corps have told me not to bother with this site. However, I do have a concern / issue. I would think DCP would be a "supportive" vehicle for DCI and member corps. I think people forget that parents, contributors, relatives, members, etc. come on to this site. I think "we" need to be careful of what is posted on this site. I lost respect for DCP to allow some of the things that have been posted about Phantom over the past few years. Some posts have been cruel and hateful. Ideas can be great!

• Like 4

Well who is the arbiter of which show designs that don't actually win were nevertheless potential winners?

People hired to wear green and write down numbers on paper. In most years, there are 2 or 3 shows that have a shot. Some years, there is only one. This is generally clear by Allentown.

Guys, remove yourself from the emotion. Do you truly believe that this was going to win, regardless of the clarity:

ekDBs6a.jpg

• Like 2