Cadets 2016

Tobias

You said that early season 2000 too. That amazing closer was put in at the tail end of season and made the show. I'll gets read when I see it Friday live.

When did the closer change in 2000? In the pre-season recording I have, the last minute or so is totally different and much closer to the original piece. It also has an extra, gorgeous ballad in the middle that got cut, and an extra motif from the We Go On theme in multiple places that isn't present in the finals version. Were these ever marched?

• Like 1

So many people have said #### on this thread I assumed the whole show was in E major.

Clever!

When did the closer change in 2000? In the pre-season recording I have, the last minute or so is totally different and much closer to the original piece. It also has an extra, gorgeous ballad in the middle that got cut, and an extra motif from the We Go On theme in multiple places that isn't present in the finals version. Were these ever marched?

That ballad never made it into the show. The first time the new closer was marched was in San Antonio on July 25, 2000.

• Like 1

I wish that I could find a recording of the early season 2000 show. It's my understanding that the end of the opener and the closer changed and I always wondered what it sounded like before it became a masterpiece at finals..

I wish that I could find a recording of the early season 2000 show. It's my understanding that the end of the opener and the closer changed and I always wondered what it sounded like before it became a masterpiece at finals..

The music to the end of the opener never changed. The drill to the end of the opener had changed. The original was a few gates that opened and closed into a straight line on different counts.

It's floating around somewhere. The build at the start of the show also had whole phrases that were removed in the middle, presumably for time. Bocook is so good that he made it work just as well though. And of course the big drum feature is unrecognizable from the final version, and the thing in Tekk's signature probably hadn't even been thought up yet. :tounge2:

Edited by Hrothgar15

That ballad never made it into the show. The first time the new closer was marched was in San Antonio on July 25, 2000.

I actually do have this recording. Probably my favorite of the bunch, since it was before a few parts were watered down (mellophones during the last big rotating block) and you can actually hear the closer instead of the crowd...

Edited by Hrothgar15

some very nice warm up footage for the battery percussion from IN the other night:

https://youtu.be/3Uwm2QeGV3E?t=1m29s

I love how the muscle memory has really locked in.......drum line zen!

I actually do have this recording. Probably my favorite of the bunch, since it was before a few parts were watered down (mellophones during the last big rotating block) and you can actually hear the closer instead of the crowd...

The recording from the San Antonio show? Yeah I have that one too and we sounded crappy lol...

If I recall correctly (and maybe I don't), the only things that really changed that season were the last few sets of the opener and the last few sets of the closer, which were always intended to be rewritten for more effect. Also, I think the "final" ending went in for the Dallas show, Tekk. I think we had only made it through like 2-3 times in rehearsal with no one falling that day, so it was a bit of a crap shoot.

The "play each other's horn" thing was in the show before we even had drill.

I think that competitive success really comes down to how well you get the design right on the first shot. In two of my years (1998, 2000), we barely changed anything at all. In the other four (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003), we had wholesale changes of music and drill that were efforts to fix things that didn't work very well on the first try.

This season seems to be a work in progress. (I hope!)

• Like 1