Cadets 2016

Tobias

1439120770ct0c0o1.jpg

I don't think Ch3 was saying "don't use children as actors". Children playing children obviously works fine. Children playing adults tends to come across as humorous. Adults playing children tends to come across as creepy.

Aside - I can't believe I'm defending Ch3, but I think s/he has had some reasonable comments on this thread on ways that the Cadets concept could be strengthened and communicated better. It's June. Cadets should be looking for ways to strengthen their concept and communicate it better.

• Like 3

Here's something I've been thinking about regarding this show - just some musings:

I'm not super keen on shows with a deep storyline but I think it would have been interesting if Cadets had taken a more meta approach to their story of statues awakening. By that I mean what if the statues represented the Cadets themselves - formal and perfect - opening the show with them in all of their glorious military precision - then in the ballad, individual self expression starts to emerge which leads to a final segment that has them shedding their cadet uniforms and doing a full out modern ending with staging and human passion and wildness. Maybe they return to the precision and uniformity at the very end, maybe not, but I think a narrative like that would be easy to follow (my main problem with story shows) and could have made for an interesting commentary on the current state of the issues DCI and the Cadets are dealing with artistically in this transisional era.

Edited by 3PoC

Here's something I've been thinking about regarding this show - just some musings:

I'm not super keen on shows with a deep storyline but I think it would have been interesting if Cadets had taken a more meta approach to their story of statues awakening. By that I mean what if the statues represented the Cadets themselves - formal and perfect - opening the show with them in all of their glorious military precision - then in the ballad, individual self expression starts to emerge which leads to a final segment that has them shedding their cadet uniforms and doing a full out modern ending with staging and human passion and wildness. Maybe they return to the precision and uniformity at the very end, maybe not, but I think a narrative like that would be easy to follow (my main problem with story shows) and could have made for an interesting commentary on the current state of the issues DCI and the Cadets are dealing with artistically in this transisional era.

They did that in 2010 with a hideous show called Toy Soulder
  • Like 2

Dude... he's the program coordinator, and the program is lacking. The only reason he is program coordinator is because he hired himself.

George Hopkins wouldn't get a job as a program coordinator at any other corps in the world.

They just won a title 5 years ago and took bronze in 2014. And i can't remember the last time they finished outside the top 5. I respect your opinion, but i think the Cadets are just fine.

1439120770ct0c0o1.jpg

He's talking about Adults playing children. Obviously children will be good at playing children

Wasn't that the one with little Geoffrey? I guess I never really got that one. Maybe I'm confused but I thought it was about him learning to be a Cadet or something. Anyway, I think a narrative like I mentioned could be done well with less cheese than that one.

Edited by 3PoC

Obviously children will be good at playing children

oh really?

739e000b2248601bf0eded77e44739fb.jpg

Anyway, Jarrett never said they were choreographing "adults playing children". He said they were choreographing statues that are behaving "a lot like children ... Very playful".

I don't believe there are any theatrical rules of thumb regarding how to choreograph statues.

• Like 1

There's a lot of great thoughts and perspectives being shared here. I personally think a lot of it id vert valid criticism, mixed in with a little nitpicking. And.. some folks are taking everything defensively

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

This is a great show concept. Make sure the musical selections match the transformation, link the concept to the marching members' way of life, and you're set.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1