Luca Oil Stadium - Stroller advice

I was one of those kids growing up in drum corps BUT I will say if it's a restaurant, or a drum corps show, there is nothing worse than a screaming baby. i just say know your kid, IF there is a remote chance ) and a show is way more than an hour at a restaurant ), be mindful of others and how much they spent to be there, This can also go for yakie adults..lol

THIS is definitely THE one and only answer to this end of the discussion! To paraphrase an outstanding San Francisco law enforcement officer from the 70s, 'A man (parent)'s got to know their limitations." :tounge2:

• Like 1

Your point that little ones don't always behave the same is of course correct.

BUT... the baby may not have been lulled to sleep but rather powered down in the face of high stimulation. I've seen that many times in many little ones. When they're overwhelmed, they just go to sleep... as infants anyway. Fireworks show... noisy restaurant... they often go to sleep.

Also many infants will handle something like a crowded indoor drum corps show (off-the-charts stimulation level) better than many toddlers. Things get worse, err, more challenging for them as they age a bit, before they get better. (Notice I'm potentially awarding credit for challenge as opposed to ticking mistakes!)

I can see taking a little one to a drum corps show. We did it with our six-month-old at DeKalb prelims, where we could sit up high and easily move away from the few other people around if she couldn't handle it, and she turned out to become a huge drum corps fan /heh. (Melting down as an infant turned out not to be an issue for her... but then we skipped a bunch of years before we resumed taking her. Until she was begging to go... age seven maybe.)

To take a little one to finals in Indy between, say, the 20-yard-lines, though, is not fair to other patrons or performers IMO. Because if the kid melts down mid-show, you can't extract her/him without disturbing a lot of other people, even if you're sitting on the aisle, and especially if you're in the middle of a row.

Oh THAT is no understatement, friend! A baby vs. a toddler are totally separate worlds; when that kid is ready to walk/run they're not going to want to sit through several hours of anything! I haven't been to Lucas Oil and don't know how the stadium is set up, but there's no way I would take my 14 month old to a DCI show unless I knew how easy it was to walk around the stadium & still at least kind of see a show from the concessions 'hallway.' For me personally (and even this past finals when my baby was just a week or two over the one year mark), it would be far easier for us to just live stream finals in our home rather than try to watch Finals in the stadium. That's just us, and our current situation (he's much more laid back at other local concerts and such when he can walk around and not really disturb anyone): I'm not into flying or traveling cross-country at this time for drum corps w/this kid. Yet

Please let me know where the baby will be, so that I may sit somewhere else.

Edited by DeanInChicago

I have spoken to DCI (Friends of DCI) and they have been very accommodating. My only concern was having her stroller nearby so if she does get a little restless we can quickly move her away from the audience.

For those who wouldn't want to sit next to a 1 year old, I fully understand your concerns. I too was once that person.

Now though I've turned into one of those selfish parents who lives in that selfish parent bubble. Bearing that in mind, if you see me sitting nearby come introduce yourself and I'll be sure to stick a pin in her a*s just to p*ss you off. (insert a yet to be created British sense of humour emoticon because not all American quite get it and are now probably thinking #### he really is going to stick a pin in her a*s)

• Like 2

I have spoken to DCI (Friends of DCI) and they have been very accommodating. My only concern was having her stroller nearby so if she does get a little restless we can quickly move her away from the audience.

For those who wouldn't want to sit next to a 1 year old, I fully understand your concerns. I too was once that person.

Now though I've turned into one of those selfish parents who lives in that selfish parent bubble. Bearing that in mind, if you see me sitting nearby come introduce yourself and I'll be sure to stick a pin in her a*s just to p*ss you off. (insert a yet to be created British sense of humour emoticon because not all American quite get it and are now probably thinking #### he really is going to stick a pin in her a*s)

I suggest a parrot.

I waited 'til my daughter was 7 for her first finals (first DCI East at 5, marching band shows since she was born :-) It's all about being prepared for anything and everything. I wouldn't have risked a one-year-old because I wouldn't want to risk missing that many performances!

At her first finals we initially got very evil looks from all the 3-day-ticket-holders around us for bringing a 7-year-old to finals. By the end of the weekend, everyone loved her (although she crashed and burned finals night missing the last 3 corps -- DCI finals is a lot to ask of any child ).

She ended up marching 5 years in Crown so it all worked out :-)

Edited by corpsband

And let ME know where you are located so I can present her with a lovely toddler shirt depicting either Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment or Colts!!!

What a bunch of cranky curmudgeons here on DCP!

Insert joke about parents using pin so baby cries so they can get out of a bad play and get their money back......

Not sure if this is US wide but suggest going to a Friendlys restaurant if you are worried sometime the little one will be cranky. Every one I go to seems to have at least one baby/toddler going off or awful loud teenagers. And no one ever complains....

PS - you probably already have your US-UK translator but mixing up nappies and napkins can freak some people out if they don't know the difference. :devil: (Have relatives in Bristol area).

Says who?

(There's a long fly ball to right center; it's going, going, gone.!)

sorry for the delay in replying been sick as a dog. and really if you couldnt hit this one out, you've got issues

• Like 1

Was it going to a show at 4 weeks or going about 10 months earlier... lol...

well, but it was finals....

• Like 1

Or, you know, maybe the baby enjoys live music and wouldn't be a problem? Oddly enough every single human baby (at all ages) are wildly different and what you might've experienced could vary with different children.

My wife and I are both public school music teachers, and we had a baby July 2014: he was born on a Thursday, and the following Friday he was at a concert I was conducting (the first time he and my wife had left the house for substantial time, or for anything other than groceries and doctor appointments). The concert started with a trashcan percussion ensemble piece I had put together, and it literally lulled the baby to sleep! The little guy was very peaceful and laid back during the concert, and only got a little cranky when the music stopped after the concert ended! He has been a staple at several of our concerts over the last 14+ months, and assuming he's napped, well-fed, etc. he's very laid back at the concerts.

Obviously not all kids are like that, and some are flat-out nightmares in public (which according to my parents I was as a baby). I've known plenty of parents who's children grew up in drum corps, starting as an infant.

exactly...you have to know your kid.

My daughter loves watching the activity, but she has no ability to sit still for more than a nano second, so even at 3, I wouldn't take her to a show until she could at least sit still for an entire episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Super Why