Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

Offered in discussion of:

Top instructors and designers AVOIDING DCI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxTzPmKedg

I'm thinking specifically of this program in comparison to: 2015 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cadets, 2015 Cavaliers, 2015 etc...

I'd (personally) put BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights etc above this one in terms of design

This band show is not designed better than any of the world class shows. None of them.

• Like 2

This band show is not designed better than any of the world class shows. None of them.

What if I like marching bands and drum corps? Do I have to choose? (Aspects of one genre seems to influence the other and vice vera) What if I like winter guard too? What will I do? Why so many questions? Where are the answers? What fan am I? Is the sky blue? Alas DCP, I need thee to guide me :smile:

• Like 4

I have no merit to say if this was better show design than any of this year's finalists, but even I can tell it's better show design than the previous year's 12 place show (Crossmen- Alma Gitana, A Gypsy Soul). Lets hope we never have to see another show so dull make the Saturday night lineup.

• Like 1

I know it doesn't really mean anything, but "Alma Gitana" actually holds the highest score in DCI Finals history for a twelfth-place show.

• Like 1

Enjoy the different mediums for what they are. High school band is less difficult than DCI, yes, and of course it's less perfectly executed overall (generally). But does that make it less enjoyable? Not necessarily. It's all just a different form of band. The goal is to entertain, to educate, and to emote. Not to confuse and to enrage. It's just band.

• Like 4

Offered in discussion of:

Top instructors and designers AVOIDING DCI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxTzPmKedg

I'm thinking specifically of this program in comparison to: 2015 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cadets, 2015 Cavaliers, 2015 etc...

I'd (personally) put BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights etc above this one in terms of design

Answer to the subject line. It's not. Sorry. Not being a drum corps homer. I spent many more years in marching bands than in drum corps. But marching band just isn't at the same level as the majority of top 12 DCI corps. I do appreciate, though, that this band is great...for a HS band.

• Like 1

Enjoy the different mediums for what they are. High school band is less difficult than DCI, yes, and of course it's less perfectly executed overall (generally). But does that make it less enjoyable? Not necessarily. It's all just a different form of band. The goal is to entertain, to educate, and to emote. Not to confuse and to enrage. It's just band.

amen

• Like 1

Following on what others have said, that Broken Arrow's design staff are in fact drum corps people after all, I would add that there is no reason to believe that a drum corps show would be better designed than a high school band show, given the same designer. A designer should always deliver their best, and since perceptions of quality will be based partly on concept, and there is huge variety in concept based on planning conversations with directors, etc. one should expect the resulting quality differences to be distributed pretty randomly between hs and dc.

Thus, your favorite mb show will likely be 'better' (IYO) than some top dc show designs.

However, the higher demand of drum corps is a double-edged sword: The performances are more impressive, but the higher skills allow for the expression of more abstract, complex ideas that many will not like. But in a 'that's over my head' kind of way.

• Like 1