Hearing damage in corps - serious problem or overblown?

While attending DCI Finals this year, I noticed a booth set up by an organization to help prevent hearing damage experienced by corps members of large World Class corps.

How serious is the hearing damage to members in large, loud corps? Is it a systemic problem or just isolated?

I was somewhat skeptical at first, because I know lawyers and "ambulance chasers" look for injuries in sports and elsewhere to line their pockets with lawsuit dollars. But, if it's a legit problem, what options are available to prevent it?

Are corps embracing ear plugs? Is this a hot-button issue right now? How big are the risks to a drummer or brass member, respectively?

Just curious to know more...

While attending DCI Finals this year, I noticed a booth set up by an organization to help prevent hearing damage experienced by corps members of large World Class corps.

How serious is the hearing damage to members in large, loud corps? Is it a systemic problem or just isolated?

I was somewhat skeptical at first, because I know lawyers and "ambulance chasers" look for injuries in sports and elsewhere to line their pockets with lawsuit dollars. But, if it's a legit problem, what options are available to prevent it?

Are corps embracing ear plugs? Is this a hot-button issue right now? How big are the risks to a drummer or brass member, respectively?

Just curious to know more...

I think it most definitely is. I know of someone in a Top 3 corps (I believe they won percussion that year, or were very very close second) in the early/mid-90s who played in the drum line, and their ear drum exploded or something during a rehearsal block.

I know I personally have significant hearing loss from years of drum corps, WGI, playing drums in various bands, and teaching band. I encourage all of my HS percussionists to use earplugs during marching season, and it's become habit/routine for the drum line members to wear earplugs (I think they bug a huge jug of disposable earplugs from Home Depot that lasts the length of the season, from July-Thanksgiving ish).

Hearing loss is one of the few 'injuries' one can sustain as a musician that one can never recover from. I regret how bad my hearing is; I'm 10 months away from my 40th birthday and I need a hearing aid. It is something VERY easy to protect, and VERY permanently damaging if you don't.

I've got hearing loss... attributable to combination of loud explosions in military/ genetics/ Drum Corps/ age.

But its not all bad. Statistics show that there are far more happier and enduring marriages in which the Husband, can't or won't hear, and a Wife that can't or won't see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I have noticeable hearing loss due to band. I actually remember the moment it started - the drumline went into a small rehearsal room, and when we came out, one ear never completely unfogged. Can't hear soft / low sounds on that side as well.

Mike

I think it most definitely is. I know of someone in a Top 3 corps (I believe they won percussion that year, or were very very close second) in the early/mid-90s who played in the drum line, and their ear drum exploded or something during a rehearsal block.

I know I personally have significant hearing loss from years of drum corps, WGI, playing drums in various bands, and teaching band. I encourage all of my HS percussionists to use earplugs during marching season, and it's become habit/routine for the drum line members to wear earplugs (I think they bug a huge jug of disposable earplugs from Home Depot that lasts the length of the season, from July-Thanksgiving ish).

Hearing loss is one of the few 'injuries' one can sustain as a musician that one can never recover from. I regret how bad my hearing is; I'm 10 months away from my 40th birthday and I need a hearing aid. It is something VERY easy to protect, and VERY permanently damaging if you don't.

I think it's great that you encourage your students to use earplugs.

One thing though, outside of the activity isn't there also a problem with increased hearing loss due to the popularity of MP3 players and other personal music players?

Always thought the problem would be drummers practicing in small enclosed areas.

My dad is a retired auto mechanic and hearing in the right ear is way off the left. Claims it's all those years of hammering and using the air jack with the right hand.

Ear plugs work best with drummers as it reduces the overtones. You can actually hear more crisply with them - a great way to hear the mush and dirt. It's a good practice technique we used years ago when I played. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen this embraced by today's drumlines. However, for brass players, ear plugs would be a hard sell due to the demands of tuning and peer pressure to conform - even with the so-called "Musician Earplugs" available today.

In theory, ear plugs sounds like a good idea. In reality, it's not something that players will use unless mandated by the organization. The only way the organizations will mandate it is if DCI takes more of a leadership role in instituting it within the activity. So, if you think DCI will take a TRUE leadership position on hearing protection, you'll probably fall on deaf ears.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Ear plugs work best with drummers as it reduces the overtones. You can actually hear more crisply with them - a great way to hear the mush and dirt. It's a good practice technique we used years ago when I played. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen this embraced by today's drumlines. However, for brass players, ear plugs would be a hard sell due to the demands of tuning and peer pressure to conform - even with the so-called "Musician Earplugs" available today.

In theory, ear plugs sounds like a good idea. In reality, it's not something that players will use unless mandated by the organization. The only way the organizations will mandate it is if DCI takes more of a leadership role in instituting it within the activity. So, if you think DCI will take a TRUE leadership position on hearing protection, you'll probably fall on deaf ears.

I see a great deal of usage by marching percussion when indoors. I mandate for my group as well. YMMV.

• Like 1