Any Heavy Metal in Corps Shows?

I don't know if you'd put RachStar in the genre you're referring to. But, for my money, RachStar is the best rock music show ever performed on a drum corps field.

Not necessarily arguing, but it's kind of telling that a band directors at Crown's idea of "rock" music is Queen and the Rolling Stones. Still a good show though.

Mike

My former minicorps down here in Austin did (mostly) rock and glam music. Kiss, Danzig, RATM, etc. Even had to get facepainted like Gene Simmons for a promo ad. Our repertoire kept us out of most mainstream gigs, but we got some *really* fun alternate stuff.

Mike

In my observations, Corps tend to prefer to lug heavy metal onto the field, instead of playing it. So in that sense anyway, I do see some metallica out there in performances most seasons now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

VK did Alice Coopers' "School's Out for Summer" in 1990. Good arrangement in a really good show.

I remember seeing the Teal Sound "Symphony and Metallica" show at a contest in Orlando that year. I think they were Division II at the time, I thought they did a decent job with the material, "One" in that show was one of my favorites of the year. (I have often thought what the Blue Devils would do with a show like that, to be honest).

Teal Sound went on to play a few more pieces from A Perfect Circle, (I think in 2009). I didnt like the arrangements, but overall, an interesting show concept.

Speaking of a Perfect Citcle, a lot of that could translate well to the field. Three Libras in particular. Some have come on here over the years in threads like "The Musoc Corps Should Do" thread and asked for Maynard's other band, Tool. Interesting stuff there too.

Edited by Dmlkmen

nevermind... I got Ramstein(sp?) confused with Danzig.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

This probably belongs in the "songs corps should do" thread, but Powermetal would work well I think, with Dragonforce being the best example I can think of.

I don't know if you'd put RachStar in the genre you're referring to. But, for my money, RachStar is the best rock music show ever performed on a drum corps field.

Where is a bucket? I have to BARF!

Rock and drum corps do not mix.

play real music.