Any Heavy Metal in Corps Shows?

Been quite a weekend with Meadowlark Lemon (Harlem Globetrotters) and Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead) passing away two days in a row. Know two corps off the top of my head (Spirit of Atlanta and Lt Norman Prince Princemen) who played "Sweet Georgia Brown".

But has anyone played any heavy metal over the years.....

PS Hard Rock in Baltimore has/had a bass signed by Lemmy. They have/had it kind of tucked out of the way since the greetings are unprintable. Nice greeting but still..... :wow:

Edit - Yeah Lemmy died on Monday but that was part of my weekend due to my nutty work schedule.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Been quite a weekend with Meadowlark Lemon (Harlem Globetrotters) and Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead) passing away two days in a row. Know two corps off the top of my head (Spirit of Atlanta and Lt Norman Prince Princemen) who played "Sweet Georgia Brown".

But has anyone played any heavy metal over the years.....

PS Hard Rock in Baltimore has/had a bass signed by Lemmy. They have/had it kind of tucked out of the way since the greetings are unprintable. Nice greeting but still..... :wow:

Edit - Yeah Lemmy died on Monday but that was part of my weekend due to my nutty work schedule.....

First one that came to mind to me was the Metallica show Teal Sound did years ago.

http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsyr&corps=487&yearqry=2001&corpstype=Junior

Thanks... not a big HM fan (college roomie was hard core punk - OY) but actually has some Metallica songs I like.

Too bad I wasn't following corps at the time.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I've seen the occasional marching band perform some heavy metal music. More often in halftime performances than in competitions.

If a marching band plays it, it’s no longer heavy metal and does anyone really use the term heavy metal for any band active past 1995, it’s all subgenres of metal

I do like the 2 recent Deafheaven albums though and they have enough musical content to do something with

A black metal show could be visually interesting as they have a well-defined visual astatic but no-way would the music work, expect maybe as a sample for a pre-show; like Xasthur instrumental opener on Subliminal Genocide. But I doubt a black metal band would grant any sort of license, sort of goes against their entire misanthropic, underground thing

So Dethklok (animated or otherwise) is out of the question then.....

I know... not brutal enough......

But that would make an interesting episode of Dethklok taking over the MB world.... what would Murderface say?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

MBI did some Zeppelin the year they won DCA. in the 80's some Rush snuck it's way into a Suncoast drum solo (84 i think...along with Changes by Yes?)

in indoor I've seen a ton of Dream theater and Rush done.....they seem to be easy going on permissions. of course if Rush really is done(sniff), they may get easier yet. I've long thought some metal stuff, if arranged right could work, especially some of the 80's power ballads.

Edited by Jeff Ream