No Detailed Recaps

lol.

BOO 9000: "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

And after that little monster jumps out of Dan's chest, they knock your head off and you spew hydraulic body fluid all over the place finally proving that you are a DCI android and tool.

Oh wait. Wrong movie.

:satisfied:

I was saying this same thing in this thread. BITD we waited weeks to get show recaps. I don't even remember being as rabid about recaps until the internet age; if we got DCW or DCNews we could catch up way after the fact.

I don't buy the "we don't trust the judges" thought line - the directors who supposedly lack trust are also the judges bosses via BOD vote. I don't think this is how they'd solve that problem if it existed.

Actually, the argument I was just having here makes the most sense: staff are tired of dealing with it in their ranks and are trying to make it easier on themselves to keep their kids motivated, or sheltered, or something. That would be rational human behavior, at least.

Lazy as all heck, IMO, but rational.

Yeah given what that one staffer said on here, that certainly seems to be plausible (and, to be blunt, kinda confounding to me)

I was saying this same thing in this thread. BITD we waited weeks to get show recaps. I don't even remember being as rabid about recaps until the internet age; if we got DCW or DCNews we could catch up way after the fact.

Of course, back in the day we also had 2 valve bugles and first and second tours. I don't buy the "we had it this way back then so I don't know what you're complaining about" argument. (Not you specifically, Garfield, but in general.)

Mike

To that, I would add one other possible element: not giving fodder to alumni who might cause an unpleasant ruckus over certain caption scores holding back "their" corps from winning it all, and start demanding the heads of those caption heads.

This also seems very plausible.

Maybe DCI worded their press release as they did to not offend members/alumni: short of "shield members & alumni at the expense of throwing the judges under the bus?"

I personally think the most likely scenario is "###### how can we have a perceived, slightly-better chance of doing competitively next year?!"

As a staff member, I think it's great.

Keeping the recaps from the public will avoid all the extra discussions on here and on the road about a caption under performing or not meeting expectations.

For example, the first show happens, everyone sees a recap and then all of a sudden it's discussions on here, on other forums, on the busses of "Wow - did you see Corps X's percussion score?" I thought they were going to turn things around?

Now when a drumline comes off the field some night after playing the best show they've had all season and feeling incredible, but then find out an hour later the drum judge dumped them, they won't all be ###### off, frustrated all night and at rehearsal the next morning. I've been with a corps where the members are talking about recaps every night and how the "Guard is pulling us down." It's not good. The same discussions happen on here and then turn into who should be fired and replaced during the season. The members talk about it. Yes, it shouldn't be an issue, but they're kids and they're competitive. Of course, the staff can share the details with the members, but it's one less piece of extra drama to not have to deal with unless you choose to put it into the mix.

Great move by DCI.

Following your logic.

1.Better not let corps members see weather reports the may worry about predicted storms.

2.Same with traffic reports,what if that accident cuts back on warm ups ?

3.Better not let corps memebrs follow the news,they may get upset and not be able to concentrate.

3.Then again if their favorite basball team loses,who knows what will happen.

Most of the members of the top corps are young adults, in college.

If they aren't able to deal with someting like 'recaps' how do they handle the pressure of college,let alone real problems. ?

Ive pretty much been in the trenches for decades, teach , judged ( and not just locally ), headed clinics etc etc. and to be honest most often I have to give members their section scores or comparisons if we choose. i think most members look in front of them with what has to be done next and what that may involve the next day, week and for championships.

Alumni, well thats a whole other animal so to speak.

You know, when I marched I don't recall caring a ton about caption or sub-captions too often. I trusted our staff to hype us when we scored well, and push us harder when we didn't.

Of course, I didn't march during the cell phone/social media age. I did live with RAMD, but I didn't have cell phone/tablet/wifi/etc. to look at on the bus immediately following a show (I might've slept better on a drum corps bus than I do now almost 20 years later)

• Like 1

This just seems fishy…

Why do so many corps support this?

What has been going on?

The captions they won’t release are often the most difficult to judge from the stands as fans so generally we have to trust them, minus the glaring errors that never seem to show up in the scores so I don't get it

The captions they are going to release are often the ones that seem most out of line with reality so I can still nail them on that.

I’m getting so burnt on all these changes from the stupid staff and idiot directors. Fire them all, they’re artistically expired, they need to go, it’s the kids’ time now; retire all you sad, worn out, dated staff and designers

DCI will collapse under the weight of the ego’s of the old guard and they’ll blame everyone else for their fool's folly…

this is anti-fan

Corps will still have full knowledge by seasons end of what sections arn't performing up to preseason expectations and will take the neccessary steps in their off season staff adjustments as a result. So this going dark during the season on published recaps shouldn't have any effect whatsoever in this end of season self analysis by the Corps regarding their standard internal staff evaluations that all Corps undergo each season since the formation of DCI.

Scary thought:

no recaps until the end of the season means DCP will EXPLODE in August and get out 3 months worth of debating/arguing/finger pointing all at once. It could be MORE heated since the results will be in and it could seemingly be "obvious" to folks so the ire will be more intense when the members are home from the summer and not focused on getting better during the season

Of course, back in the day we also had 2 valve bugles and first and second tours. I don't buy the "we had it this way back then so I don't know what you're complaining about" argument. (Not you specifically, Garfield, but in general.)

Mike

I'm not sure that's the argument. At all. It's merely a component of a deeper issue: for me, lack of transparency and seeming lack of trust the vast majority of DCI Directors has for their own judges.