No Detailed Recaps

and the ONE corps that voted NO was....

INT

They reportedly did not see this measure helping their long standing slotted position at DCI shows any time soon.

Perhaps, but if so, then you'll be compelled by logic alone to agree then that DCI botched its marketing bigtime by marketing itself as a " sport " to sports network ESPN, bringing in NFL QB's, ( Young ) Head Coaches ( Knight ) MLB sports announcers ( Gowdy ) as MC's, hooking up drummers to compare heart rates to similar " athletes " engaged in competition, the branding of itself as Marching Music " Major Leagues", and at least another half dozen other tie ins in the recent past to " sports " and other " athletic competitions " and similarities to " athletes ". If this is not " a sport " then none of these things should have been done, as it only confuses everybody as to this.

Why yes. Yes I would.

Do they really believe judges will not get the recaps from someone involved with a corps? Maybe not right away, but eventually they will. Be real, people. This is just a smoke screen.

A smoke screen hiding what? If this will not limit the availability of recaps to judges, then the directors are deluding only themselves.

If withholding information improves the overall scoring, then there is something wrong with the judging system.

Not necessarily. It could be simply a part of human nature that even when one tries to be objective, one is slightly biased in favor of a competitor you've been told is a winner. Basically a version of what Bruckner8 calls "competitive inertia".

Sorry, but I'm not buying the "judges slotting" smoke screen. This a deliberate affront to the fans of this activity and anyone who thinks this is a good thing, some of whom I agree with on most matters, ought to have their head examined.

Does anyone know what percentage of DCI's fans actually ever look at recaps?

Maybe the reason for the change is that Crown got tired of hearing everybody complain all season about how they were doing badly in percussion.

• Like 1

In the past ten years how much turnover has there been in the top twelve?

Have DCI Standings Actually Stagnated? (as of 2012)

(And be sure to see the chart on p. 19 of that discussion.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I will miss Mike Boo's analysis on the recaps on the DCI website. For quite some time now, he did a great job with his breakdown of the recaps and scores on the DCI website each summer throughout the season. Now that's gone, and he will have to come up with something else. Oh well, time marches on.

You've probably hit on the secret reason for this change: Boo's exorbitant writer's fees!

• Like 3

Whether this succeeds or fails, I expect major hilarity this season and several prominent corps staffs to come absolute unglued.

We can all agree that the margin of difference between the top corps (especially) is razor-thin, particularly when we come to the end of the season. I can see a 1st place show one night becoming a 5th place show the next. I can see a corps scoring 85 one night then 82 the next then 88 the night after that. Every judge will have their own "baseline" now with no connection to anyone else. Every judge will now have their own spacing and numbers management. A 0.3 gap to Joe Drummer might be a 0.8 gap to Johnny Cymbals. Now, more than ever before, the judging line-up at Finals will well and truly determine who wins.

Maybe. Judging in DCI is remarkably consistent, and I know several judges who never bothered looking at other recaps during the season anyway. So maybe little will change.

But it does have the effect of disengaging the fan. NFL fans gripe about refs, MLB fans gripe about umpires, DCI fans gripe about judges. It's just part of the territory. Rarely, if ever, is LESS transparency a good thing. It was said by "drumcorpsfever" a little bit ago, and I'll second it: If withholding information improves the overall scoring, then there is something wrong with the judging system.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I'm not buying the "judges slotting" smoke screen. This a deliberate affront to the fans of this activity and anyone who thinks this is a good thing, some of which I agree wit on most matters, ought to have their head examined.

OK, wait. What "affront" are we talking about this time?