No Detailed Recaps

The NFL would go over really well if rushing yards and passing numbers were hidden from the fans. Lol.

Except that is not a comparable analogy at all.

Rushing yards and passing numbers do not make up the scores.

More applicable would be an analogy that keeps how many points are from touchdowns, points after, field goals, safeties...a secret. Kind of a silly analogy, but at least relevant to the scores.

I thought about this as well. To resolve this, prevent judges from having any contact during the season and take their cell phones away. Better yet, put them in rolling isolation booths - sort of like port-o-potties but with windows and a slot for meals. These isolation booths can be conveniently hitched to a truck/suv to be towed to the next show. Only allow them out just before a show begins and have "handlers" ensure they are returned as soon as scores are submitted.

Maybe they need to use this at critiques....

cone_silence.jpg

Yes judges talk. But how do they talk?

Probably things like "Crown had the best brass" or "Bluecoats percussion isn't that great this year."

I highly doubt judges are going around saying "I gave Coats a 91.5, Devils a 91.3, and Cadets a 91.1" Unless judges are allowed to keep their scores, I don't think they're going to be memorizing the exact numbers to share with their fellow judges. But maybe they will now. I don't know.

Like someone else mentioned, without exact numbers, the basis for scores could vary greatly between judges. If its the middle of July and a judge hasn't seen the Coats yet, can he go in blind and give them an accurate brass score? What if it ends up being lower than last weeks? Is it because the corps underperformed or is it because the judge had nothing to base "improvement" on?

So many questions. I guess we'll see.

Edited by Name

Except that is not a comparable analogy at all.

Rushing yards and passing numbers do not make up the scores.

More applicable would be an analogy that keeps how many points are from touchdowns, points after, field goals, safeties...a secret. Kind of a silly analogy, but at least relevant to the scores.

But I still see it as a statistic I am interested in. If I don't get to watch a game, I still like to see if they won by having a great passing game or did their running game wear down their defense.

It literally is like the NFL hiding offensive and defensive stats and their season rankings. Its like not knowing that the Broncos have the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL until after the season ends.

Didn't DCI sort of try this in '88 in a bit if a different way when they chose not to release semis scores and then performance order for finals was a random draw? I think we all know how well that went over when they never did it again.

Yes judges talk. But how do they talk?

Probably things like "Crown had the best brass" or "Bluecoats percussion isn't that great this year."

I highly doubt judges are going around saying "I gave Coats a 91.5, Devils a 91.3, and Cadets a 91.1" Unless judges are allowed to keep their scores, I don't think they're going to be memorizing the exact numbers to share with their fellow judges. But maybe they will now. I don't know.

Like someone else mentioned, without exact numbers, the basis for scores could vary greatly between judges. If its the middle of July and a judge hasn't seen the Coats yet, can he go in blind and give them an accurate brass score? What if it ends up being lower than last weeks? Is it because the corps underperformed or is it because the judge had nothing to base "improvement" on?

So many questions. I guess we'll see.

Judges absolutely keep a record of what numbers they assign. Heck, I have a folder with every tote sheet from every band shot I've ever judged. Drum corps judges keep their totes at a minimum for the duration of the season...you'd be shocked ho often a corps staff member will bring of previous numbers in critique conversations...I've even seen some try and get over on a judge and the judge then whip out that show's tote to prove him wrong.

• Like 1

If someone in the know could share, it would be interesting to find out when this idea was floated to the voting membership. This wasn't a rule change going into the weekend.

It almost seems like it sounded like a good idea at the time and perhaps was a product of group-think, fatigue, or some other factor. I find it hard to believe that there would only be 1 objection to this one.

This summer is going to be quite boring one for me I imagine...One of the things I enjoyed was reading and analyzing recaps...I actually never really put much stock in total scores...After season recaps? Who cares at that point...I sure don't...It's a brilliant idea folks! :(

C'est la vie

• Like 1

I can't wait to see what measures DCI plans to put in place to ensure those numbers don't get out.

All DCI Judges have reportedly been made to sign a non disclosure agreement whereby they have agreed to never send nor receive DCI classified information, such as DCI Show scoring recaps. Even if the recaps were not initially marked as " recaps " wence received, all DCI judges are expected to fully recognize what a show recap looks like, and that a show recap is now considered classified, top secret, DCI information. As such, DCI classified information such as this is not to be shared with other judges. It is anticipated that a failure to comply with this non disclosure agreement by a DCi Judge could result in the penalty of a subsequent promotion to Executive Directorship of DCI in the future.

Edited by BRASSO