No Detailed Recaps

If someone in the know could share, it would be interesting to find out when this idea was floated to the voting membership. This wasn't a rule change going into the weekend.

It almost seems like it sounded like a good idea at the time and perhaps was a product of group-think, fatigue, or some other factor. I find it hard to believe that there would only be 1 objection to this one.

the thought process is this is supposed to build intrigue. however i detailed the 4 types of fans elsewhere.

I'm told they think it adds more intrigue and suspense.

Here's my POV: you have 4 types of fans:

Diehards who are numbers junkies

Honks for a certain corps that look to see who screwed them

Caption specific fans, mostly drummers

And fans that don't give a #### either way

Hence it will do nothing more than to create conspiracy theories

Judges absolutely keep a record of what numbers they assign. Heck, I have a folder with every tote sheet from every band shot I've ever judged. Drum corps judges keep their totes at a minimum for the duration of the season...you'd be shocked ho often a corps staff member will bring of previous numbers in critique conversations...I've even seen some try and get over on a judge and the judge then whip out that show's tote to prove him wrong.

Yes, but with DCI's new system, one has to assume this can't happen anymore. If DCI actually wants to limit the accessibility of past scores to judges, then I can't see them allowing judges to take their own copy of the scores out of the booth. It kind of defeats the purpose, right?

I have several questions.

a. Why withhold full recaps, but then allow publication of GE, music and visual totals? To me, this seems to be a half-measure that will in many cases still allow the same dynamics to take place. So what if we only see the total GE number? Fans can still vent their discontent over what the two GE judges did, and subsequent GE judges will still have something specific to guide them if slotting plays any part in their behavior.

b. With the above in mind, did anyone stop to think that releasing a summary recap in early season will reveal the scores of one individual judge? With a five judge panel, one of the three overall captions only has one judge involved.

c. An additional contributor of caption placement information is caption awards. Did anyone stop to think that in order to achieve what this policy intends, that caption awards must be banned from all shows prior to world class finals? (Yes, that means the open class final must withhold detailed recaps and announcement of caption awards, too.)

d. We are told that the corps will still receive their own individual caption scores and commentary. Will the corps still be able to get access to the individual caption scores and/or placements of their rivals?

e. Will the corps still have the same rights and procedures for lodging complaints against individual judges during the season?

f. No judge wants to arrive at the end of the season to be revealed as a singular outlier compared to their peers. Have the creators of this policy anticipated how judges might behave in that context? What will happen if a judge tries to leverage all their inter-relationships throughout the marching music judge/instructor/designer community to obtain information they are no longer supposed to have access to?

• Like 2

Maybe we'll get lucky and be able to get these now classified, top secret DCI Show recaps, from somebody's sophisticated private server in Beijing or some such off shore foreign entity. Where theres a will, theres a way. Think positive, Ghost.

Nope. I have it on the most excellent authority that all recaps will be hermetically sealed in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' back porch. No one can know the contents of those recaps. Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1

I will miss Mike Boo's analysis on the recaps on the DCI website. For quite some time now, he did a great job with his breakdown of the recaps, & scores, on the DCI website each summer throughut the season. Now, thats gone, and he will have to come up with something else. Oh well, time marches on.

I think this measure should be entitled the "Michael Boo Winter Employment Plan". Mr Boo gets to try and analyse all the recaps starting after Finals in August (or whenever they are released free from copyright limitations) and hopes he can finish before the season begins again the following June.

DCI will still post summary recaps.....

"In place of the customary detailed scoring run-down, a summary recap showing total score and results in overall General Effect, Visual and Music captions will be posted online immediately following the completion of each event".

If there is one thing numbers geeks enjoy it is incomplete numbers that cannot be used to determine much at all.

Then you couldn't keep scores because adding up the scores each week tells anyone who has the better O or D.

Should have included that special teams/defense also score points which would affect overall total points. Even more reason for no one to write or speak about NFL results.

The sports stuff doesn't apply IMO.

However has DCI considered as word spreads, web views will decrease a lot? I can glance at their summary emails and get all I need as far as news, and most news hits social media first.

Also there are far more mobile friendly places to get scores that DCI. I only went there because recaps looked best there

• Like 1