No Detailed Recaps

DCI should now allow a fan-voting component to be part of the official score. Just don't tell anyone the results until after the season has concluded.

and...

Dear audience, please do not cheer or allow any response in the stands to interfere with the absolute objectivity of the judges!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Perhaps DCI should have just ripped up the current scoring methodology and started anew.

If withholding information improves the overall scoring, then there is something wrong with the judging system.

I wonder how much thought they really put into this rule change?

All of these knee-jerk, judging changes this year, convinces me more than ever who the real champion in 2015 was!

Blue Devils won. and they won by being the cleanest on FINALS!

• Like 3

I understand it. I appreciate the move against slotting.

As a numbers geek that enjoy tracking the season, I'm bummed.

Will it change the shows I go to, the swag I buy and other dollars I put into the activity? Nah.

I think honestly it will create more tinfoil hat conspiracy theories. People connected can get numbers, including judges.

• Like 2

"One other procedural issue brought to the floor during the session was a proposal to delay the publication of detailed recaps from DCI Tour events until after the completion of the season.

In place of the customary detailed scoring run-down, a summary recap showing total score and results in overall General Effect, Visual and Music captions will be posted online immediately following the completion of each event.

Although corps will be given the opportunity to view detailed scoring results of their performances during critiques following events, judges will not have access to recaps during the competitive season. ".

This one is confusing to me.

How does this improve the fan experience?

How does this improve judging? On one hand, this could allow a judge to be a bit more daring in their scoring and ranking; while, on the other, it could lend itself to a more subtle means of slotting - through veiled anonymity.

21 out of 22 voted for this, so we'll see how it works out.

It won't change anything. Drum guys will still put up spreads, music guys won't and visual will be a mixed bag. It just hiss judges from attacks if people disagree and eliminates the outcry from pathetic numbers management

• Like 1

DCI should just evolve even further with this, and just not announce the scores at all to the public until Championships Week. Besides, not having the recaps made public is just really a half measure here, imo. Plus, if we fans can get settled in and now happily resigned to having Drum & Bugle Corps competitions without Drum and / or Brass, or Guard judges for shows halfway into the shortened 8 week season now, whats the useful tangible benefit of recaps being made public from these current half sized judging panels anyway ? In my view, not a heckava lot... really. I'd actually be fine now if DCI just went full measure now, and just scrapped all the public scores in all the DCI shows until Championships Week. Heck, who knows, we might be happy and lucky enough to find out down the road that this is where DCI intends to take this all in the future anyway.

Baby Steps.

Edited by BRASSO

All kidding aside, I will miss reading the post-show recap analysis here on DCP. Yeah everyone has an opinion, but some of what I have read in the past has been really interesting - particularly for those who don't always pay attention to detail on the scores that have been assigned.

Edited by Fish

All kidding aside, I will miss reading the post-show recap analysis here on DCP. Yeah everyone has an opinion, but some of what I have read in the past has been really interesting - particularly for those who don't always pay attention to detail on the scores that have been assigned.

I will miss Mike Boo's analysis on the recaps on the DCI website. For quite some time now, he did a great job with his breakdown of the recaps, & scores, on the DCI website each summer throughut the season. Now, thats gone, and he will have to come up with something else. Oh well, time marches on.

• Like 2