Why Isn't "America The Beautiful" Played on DCI Finals Nig

9 hours ago, Sideways said:

Lead sops essentially…not much else 

Yes, that’s how we lead sops viewed our corps. 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 2

I agree this would be appropriate, but it's unrealistic. No competitor will allot the time to learn it unless it was required for participation, and even then it would be approached with something less than enthusiasm.

Frankly, I think a massed playing of anything would add a good coda to the season. Auld Lang Syne would be suitable, on several levels, for instance.

The fact remains, however, that there would be no Drum Corps were it not for American service veterans. I am one of those (You're welcome, though I was "invited" to serve.) but I feel no particular urge to foist patriotism on my fellow man.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for DCI Finalists to give a brief nod to "Finding Their Roots" by devoting 45 seconds to acknowledging their origins, especially with the National Headquarters of the American Legion only a few blocks away from the Oil Can.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TOC said:

Wow. I'd heard of this incident but never seen/heard video.  That's 100% "Marching Music's Major League channels their inner middle school band."  

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I agree this would be appropriate, but it's unrealistic. No competitor will allot the time to learn it unless it was required for participation, and even then it would be approached with something less than enthusiasm.

Frankly, I think a massed playing of anything would add a good coda to the season. Auld Lang Syne would be suitable, on several levels, for instance.

The fact remains, however, that there would be no Drum Corps were it not for American service veterans. I am one of those (You're welcome, though I was "invited" to serve.) but I feel no particular urge to foist patriotism on my fellow man.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for DCI Finalists to give a brief nod to "Finding Their Roots" by devoting 45 seconds to acknowledging their origins, especially with the National Headquarters of the American Legion only a few blocks away from the Oil Can.

I feel like this comes back to, is DCI about education and spreading awareness for music or is it about winning the competition? While all groups should be able to focus on both, I feel like we all know they won't. And some would refuse. 

"...or is it about winning the competition? "

This, of course, was the central idea. There's really nothing wrong with that.

But the notion that there's only one winner and everyone else is a failure is absurd. The awareness of the inherent value of the quest is also sine qua non.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Wow. I'd heard of this incident but never seen/heard video.  That's 100% "Marching Music's Major League channels their inner middle school band."  

Woof. More like Marching Music’s Minor League amirite?

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Woof. More like Marching Music’s Minor League amirite?

Marching Music's Pub League.

Ok there's a slogan for the Couchmen to use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the idea was noble, but not everyone took it seriously. kids are kids. i also remember seeing video that year of a former corps director talking to members of another corps goofing on his corps retreat block.

in 1996, DCA wanted all of the corps to play the patriotic tune i believe one of the Macys corps used. a few corps took it seriously. while standing there playing, the amount of tunes played by corps around me that were NOT the assigned tune were at some levels funny, and a few annoying. to my knowledge no video of that cluster exists.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the idea was noble, but not everyone took it seriously. kids are kids. i also remember seeing video that year of a former corps director talking to members of another corps goofing on his corps retreat block.

in 1996, DCA wanted all of the corps to play the patriotic tune i believe one of the Macys corps used. a few corps took it seriously. while standing there playing, the amount of tunes played by corps around me that were NOT the assigned tune were at some levels funny, and a few annoying. to my knowledge no video of that cluster exists.

It’s a bunch of kids acting stupid.  I acted stupid all the time back when I marched. That’s why I spent a lot of my free time loading the equipment truck. Maybe that’s why I have a hiatal hernia now.  Acting like an idiot in retreat.

Junior Kilties would lift up their kilts and show the goods in retreat.  Thank God they were no cell phones then.  No one wants to see that. 🙋‍♀️

Full disclosure: I still occasionally do stupid stuff now. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 2