Why Isn't "America The Beautiful" Played on DCI Finals Nig

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned that the Finale Montage video that plays during Finals retreat has pretty much replaced the "mass brass" finale of years past. It gives every corps that comes to Indy a moment in the spotlight, and to me, it shows that DCI is no longer all about the "Top 12."

And I agree with others on here that while I loved the idea of all of the competing corps playing together and melting fans' faces off, it looked much better on paper than in reality (trumpets screaming, wrong notes, members just holding the tonic, etc.).

I love the Finale Montage. Seriously - it's a great recap of the week, and considering how fast they have to put it together, it's really well made each year.

Mike

• Like 1

Leave your fingers off my precious Gangsta Rap CD's however, or I swear I will hit you all with my puffy pillow !

Careful there. Your true colors are showing.

Careful there. Your true colors are showing.

How on earth did you know my trusty puffy pillow that I described is white ?

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe not playing it together at the end is the respectful thing to do.

As stated earlier in the thread.....often members would try to get as many high notes as they could and hangover etc... It is a patriotic tune, it is not a moment for "fun", it is a moment that should be performed with respect.....there are too many variables that could mess it up......so in essence, by not playing it as a mass group, the respectable choice is made.

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1

And, as the OP, not to be political but I don’t understand how insisting on playing this jingoistic song proves anything other than one is anti-American.

Whew, for a moment there i thought this thread was taking an exit turn off the highway and into the politics divided highway off the American Interstate. Glad you didn't take your car down that road. its filled with potholes, I'm told.

Edited by BRASSO

Simple answer is that the MMs aren't just American competitors, nor are the units. Check the SoundSport and Drumline rosters from last season as evidence, The Blue Saints from Sherbrooke, P.Q., Canada and Jubal from the Netherlands are recent drum corps participants..

Please don't try to trump drum corps. Patriotism definitely has it's place. Your anger which you are calling citizenship may not be the best solution for the idealism you seek. Rather than complain here, contact DCI directly. Have a great day.

P.S.: I did like the interweave of O Canada and America when corps were only from the US and Canada. That's not DCI today.

Yeah, that's why. Nt

Like some have mentioned, when DCI get rid of full retreat in 2005, there were two corps that played after every show, it wasn't America/O'Canada it was the "Champions Fanfare". They went back to just America the beautiful in 2007 or 8, but ONLY for finals, because they got rid of even the 2 corps mass brass thing.

The problem was that in the old days, you played it almost every day, so by finals there wasn't any mystique or anything new about it. Yeah you had some screamers making the DVD, but that was it. Because it was only played once (finals) in 08, it seemed like everyone and their mom tried to make it count (in a bad way). It sounded AWFUL. I was on the field, it was way more than just a few corps. The combo of people not knowing it/not taking it seriously/messing up on purpose was enough for DCI to just stop doing it all together.

• Like 1

Hi fellow drum corps fans,

I have a question...I must have woke-up from a comma. Last time I checked, all corps played "America the Beautiful" together on Finals Night after the scores had been reported. The worst part is, I asked some people sitting near me last summer, young people, and they said, "Dude, huh? We've never heard of that."

This is ashame. Please don't tell me it's because of political correctness or things got "too busy to coordinate,""too much going on so, they couldn't "fit it in."

In an age where people ... young people ... are taught that America "stinks," America is "rotten," to the core (no pun intended) this is a DCI tradition that helps people love their country. Isn't playing "America the Beautiful" by all the corps something we can all agree was a good thing?

If there's a "lame" reason why they stopped, I'll be starting a petition to bring it back. Count on it.

Chris

honestly:

go find the video from 2008. kids abused it. blowing releases, playing incorrect notes on purpose, playing totally different music...it was treated like a waste of time by too many performers

• Like 1

Let's not forget that before we all played AMOC together, we DIDN'T. That insertion in to retreat was an attempt to make up for corps playing themselves off the field. In the grand scheme of things, we really didn't do it for long. Frankly, if it has gone away, that makes me happy. Never once did it sound good. With all the high notes and messing around during the tune, it was embarrassing. I would much rather have pieces that represent our countries played in a more respectful way.

Edited by eightyonepointthree
  • Like 6

I never thought this was a great tradition. It ended up being something that was not entertaining and had a bunch of sopranos trying to play high notes they couldn't reach and hanging over.

As a member/fan who lived through & marched from the "full retreat" days to the America/O'Canada I 100% agree with this. I was never a fan of this, and it was often looked at as a necessary evil

• Like 1