Why Isn't "America The Beautiful" Played on DCI Finals Nig

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s a bunch of kids acting stupid.  I acted stupid all the time back when I marched. That’s why I spent a lot of my free time loading the equipment truck. Maybe that’s why I have a hiatal hernia now.  Acting like an idiot in retreat.

Junior Kilties would lift up their kilts and show the goods in retreat.  Thank God they were no cell phones then.  No one wants to see that. 🙋‍♀️

Full disclosure: I still occasionally do stupid stuff now. 

to this day i am forever grateful to the Kilties Sr for Cumberland MD in 95. they tipped us off a different corps tenors was harassing our female bass player as we were lining up to go in for Olympic retreat. Our corps was one of those that took retreat seriously, and thanks to that guidance, 4 tenors players, while wearing their drums somehow banged into the metal gate as we all passed through. i'm told their bodies and their drums made contact. very odd how they made contact. i can't imagine they didn't see the gate next to them

• Haha 3

honestly.....if i could have skipped retreat every show i marched except for finals, i'd have not been upset about it. do the work, get out of the party outfit, and have time to chill out.....would have been awesome. loading up would have been done, depending on when we went on could have had some good without worrying about getting it on my uniform would have been awesome, and since we wore all black the last 2 years, probably felt 20 degrees cooler

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

honestly.....if i could have skipped retreat every show i marched except for finals, i'd have not been upset about it. do the work, get out of the party outfit, and have time to chill out.....would have been awesome. loading up would have been done, depending on when we went on could have had some good without worrying about getting it on my uniform would have been awesome, and since we wore all black the last 2 years, probably felt 20 degrees cooler

Anything to get out of that hat I had to wear… 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Anything to get out of that hat I had to wear… 

we had helmets for a few years. i hated them

• Like 1

The very first DCA Championship contest was held in 1965 in Milford, CT. "Full Retreats" were a given then at almost every show, featuring the appropriate bugle call at the beginning, played by one of the soprano players from a competing corps, all color guards, drum majors and their entire corps.

Normally, the host corps would play all the others on, each unit marching through the gate, across the field, ending downstage arranged left to right near the front sideline.

Caption and placement awards would be announced and each unit would parade across the front playing their signature song as all others came to attention and their respective guards dipped silks in salute. Sometimes this was more entertaining than some of the performances.

The DCA officials wished to up the ante for Finals and hatched a plan for all corps to set up at the back sideline, moving forward together playing the last 16 bars of "Stars and Stripes".

Reading, Hurcs, Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Interstatesmen and Pittsburgh Rockets were an impressive mass of color. There was a roll-off. They all stepped off. We in the audience held our collective breath...

The first few notes were massive and (mostly) together. What followed can only be described as a bad LSD trip. Only the Bucs and Rebels seemed to have had a nodding acquaintance with the actual arrangement. Everyone else appeared to be searching for things like tempo and key.

As the monster lurched closer, even the participants came to realize what an abomination was being created. Some, like the Skyliners, doubled down, adding random bugle calls, screams and rim shots...then, mercifully it ended, not exactly in unison.

We were stunned. The guy next to me, looking off into space, said, "Man. That s#*t was psychedelic!" ...It was a monumental understatement.

Edited by ironlips
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, ironlips said:

The very first DCA Championship contest was held in 1965 in Milford, CT. "Full Retreats" were a given then at almost every show, featuring the appropriate bugle call at the beginning, played by one of the soprano players from a competing corps, all color guards, drum majors and their entire corps.

Normally, the host corps would play all the others on, each unit marching through the gate, across the field, ending downstage arranged left to right near the front sideline.

Caption and placement awards would be announced and each unit would parade across the front playing their signature song as all others came to attention and their respective guards dipped silks in salute. Sometimes this was more entertaining than some of the performances.

The DCA officials wished to up the ante for Finals and hatched a plan for all corps to set up at the back sideline, moving forward together playing the last 16 bars of "Stars and Stripes".

Reading, Hurcs, Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Interstatesmen and Pittsburgh Rockets were an impressive mass of color. There was a roll-off. They all stepped off. We in the audience held our collective breath...

The first few notes were massive and (mostly) together. What followed can only be described as a bad LSD trip. Only the Bucs and Rebels seemed to have a nodding acquaintance with the actual arrangement. Everyone else appeared to be searching for things like tempo and key.

As the monster lurched closer, even the participants came to realize what an abomination was being created. Some, like the Skyliners, doubled down, adding random bugle calls, screams and rim shots...then, mercifully it ended, not exactly in unison.

We were stunned. The guy next to me, looking off into space, said, "Man. That s#*t was psychedelic!" ...It was a monumental understatement.

This reads like a Hunter S Thomson novel! 😂 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ironlips said:

The first few notes were massive and (mostly) together. What followed can only be described as a bad LSD trip. Only the Bucs and Rebels seemed to have a nodding acquaintance with the actual arrangement. Everyone else appeared to be searching for things like tempo and key.

so basically every time DCA came up with a "great idea" for retreat it's been a cluster.

this one, 96...91 when they turned off the lights for fireworks that caught the hill behind the stadium on fire and the field became a chaos party zone.....am i missing any?h

Lost the tape (or maybe it destroyed itself from shame), 1976 Hershey show retreat the corps were supposed to play something patriotic for bicentennial. Maybe same Stars and Stripes. Anyway think whoever started it gave 1,2,3 and 3 corps came in on 4. 3 corps came in a beat later (on 1). And one corps (7 corps show) came in another beat later.

Kind of like playing the song in a round. 😱