DCI drum major

Hey guys, I'm marching with music city this summer, but my passion is conducting. I want to be a drum major for the Crossmen or phantom regiment. What are the chances I make it and what do world class corps look for in a drum major?

Hey guys, I'm marching with music city this summer, but my passion is conducting. I want to be a drum major for the Crossmen or phantom regiment. What are the chances I make it and what do world class corps look for in a drum major?

The arm-waving is the least part of the job, for all it's the most public.

Being a good leader is far FAR more important.

If you're only up there for the "power and glory" of being on the podium, you're doing it wrong...and that applies to ANY conducting, not just DM for a top drum corps.

If you're up there acting like Donald Trump, you'll have a pretty negative effect on the group.

• Like 2

The arm-waving is the least part of the job, for all it's the most public.

Being a good leader is far FAR more important.

If you're only up there for the "power and glory" of being on the podium, you're doing it wrong...and that applies to ANY conducting, not just DM for a top drum corps.

If you're up there acting like Donald Trump, you'll have a pretty negative effect on the group.

Absolutely true. If all you want is the conducting, you're in the wrong position. Conductors and Drum Majors alike will have to do extensive leadership on tour, because leadership easily makes up 95% of the job on tour. It's the behind-the-scenes stuff that no one knows goes on - the drum majors are often the glue holding the corps together and without them being so committed to the leadership stuff, the corps wouldn't as be successful as it is.

Very few corps have rookie DMs for a reason. You need to be a part of the corps and its values to lead it. You're the first one up in the morning, you're the last one asleep in the gym. You're always positive, yet tough on the members, and often the bridge between staff and corps.

We also know very little about you. How many years you've been conducting, what your leadership is...etc etc etc.

I would suggest if you want to be a DM somewhere, then you need to march there first.

Very few corps have rookie DMs for a reason. You need to be a part of the corps and its values to lead it. You're the first one up in the morning, you're the last one asleep in the gym. You're always positive, yet tough on the members, and often the bridge between staff and corps.

We also know very little about you. How many years you've been conducting, what your leadership is...etc etc etc.

I would suggest if you want to be a DM somewhere, then you need to march there first.

There are some corps that have open DM auditions because they figure that there will be enough people who are qualified to lead, and they also want to find the best conductors they can from that pool of good leaders. I know Phantom, Crown, BD, Crossmen, Spirit, Scouts, and many others go this route. It's seemed to work for them! There's no "right" way to do it, but different corps have their preferences. Some value conducting prowess as well as leadership, and some simply want their DMs to be human metronomes. Choose the corps that you think will fit you best! There are plenty of options.

There are some corps that have open DM auditions because they figure that there will be enough people who are qualified to lead, and they also want to find the best conductors they can from that pool of good leaders. I know Phantom, Crown, BD, Crossmen, Spirit, Scouts, and many others go this route. It's seemed to work for them! There's no "right" way to do it, but different corps have their preferences. Some value conducting prowess as well as leadership, and some simply want their DMs to be human metronomes. Choose the corps that you think will fit you best! There are plenty of options.

I would agree more with C Holland's post than rr's post but both have valid points. I would hope as an MM that my DM, my leader, has put time in with my corps. A DM who is in the position as an arm waver only, would not cut it for me. The DM should know more about the org and its planned operation for the coming season, than any other MM. The DM is the link between MM's and all other facets of the corps; operations, instructional staff, management staff, volunteers, etc., etc. And it works both ways. The DM must support the MM's to the org, and the DM must also support the needs of the org to the MM's. It can be quite a balancing act. success at that is the sign of a leader. Being a leader is crucial to a successful tour and competitive season. But overall, IMO, a DM should have been an MM for an org for at least one season prior to elevation to the DM role. In any case, being a good DM is harder than many might think. There IS a lot of work that goes into it. Best of luck to you and your upcoming season.

I would agree more with C Holland's post than rr's post but both have valid points. I would hope as an MM that my DM, my leader, has put time in with my corps. A DM who is in the position as an arm waver only, would not cut it for me. The DM should know more about the org and its planned operation for the coming season, than any other MM. The DM is the link between MM's and all other facets of the corps; operations, instructional staff, management staff, volunteers, etc., etc. And it works both ways. The DM must support the MM's to the org, and the DM must also support the needs of the org to the MM's. It can be quite a balancing act. success at that is the sign of a leader. Being a leader is crucial to a successful tour and competitive season. But overall, IMO, a DM should have been an MM for an org for at least one season prior to elevation to the DM role. In any case, being a good DM is harder than many might think. There IS a lot of work that goes into it. Best of luck to you and your upcoming season.

Aaaagghhhh. I'll figure out how to do this one day. I apologize for my reply mash up.

Now Sam...why did you have to go all political. I don't think Donald has much to do with conducting.

In direct response to the question though, I agree that what happens off the podium is far more important than what happens on it...HOWEVER, I do find it interesting that so many corps today take open auditions for DM regardless of the individual's experience or lack thereof with the drum corps. Actually seems to be a pretty common practice these days.

As to what you do on the podium, it seems to run the gamut. I would say that the majority of corps seem to be looking for the "human metronome" style with little to no emotion in the conducting. Not good or bad...just a style thing. And again, I am not trying to pigeon hole everyone into this, it's just an observation on my part.

Good Luck!

Dan

They look for someone who wants to be in their corps because that person loves and respects that corps. They do NOT look for someone who wants to be in their corps more because they want to be the conductor. That's a great responsibility bestowed with much trust.

Someone who is a good corps conductor would be just as happy and honored to be out of the field in the brass, percussion, or guard, doing their best to contribute to the success of the corps in any way they can. If asked to be the conductor, they would accept the position with great humility, knowing they have been entrusted with something very valuable and recognizing that they are there to serve all the others on the field...not the other way around.

If your experience in any corps would be diminished in any way by you not being the conductor, you shouldn't burden yourself with being in an organization that you wouldn't gladly serve as a musician or guard member. And I certainly wouldn't tell anyone in Music City that you're just putting in your time in hopes of marching somewhere else. (Seeing that you didn't make any comment that you would be honored to one day be Music City's drum major, I would expect your view would be somewhat demoralizing to other members.)

Drum corps is so much more than being in a position of added responsibility. EVERY position within a drum corps is one of great responsibility, and every position can help make you into a better person...if you're there for the right reasons.

• Like 6