DCI drum major

Michael Boo... you've never put anything better.

I had the same thought. Why is this person marching Music City if they want to be the DM somewhere else?

• Like 1

Back in the day.....you had to pay your dues! I spent my time leading while in the brass line.

Hey guys, I'm marching with music city this summer, but my passion is conducting. I want to be a drum major for the Crossmen or phantom regiment. What are the chances I make it and what do world class corps look for in a drum major?

I think a good progression might be to start as field conductor position and then perhaps you can work yourself into the DM position...perhaps this might give you a chance to demonstrate some of your leadership qualities...

Why are conducting and comprehensive leadership considered inseparable? That is, why can't you have a great leader of the corps in general in person A and a great conductor on the field in person B?

This is a good statement. I was assigned DM in spring of 1972 but wanted to continue to spin! Oh my! How could a guard girl be a DM? Taught guard off season, learned notes from the horn instructors, contributed information to the staff and executive - a liaison. Of the 7 years I was DM for 2 corps (with an age-out year in between to spin a flag to keep me sane) I found over the past few years that I taught by example, conducted with passion, walked backwards during parades, accepted cheques and gave them to my director and did what was necessary to make our corps better...

...and it was good to be good to the drum line that kept this old DM with many hats with the beat :wink:

Thanks everyone, your all an amazing resource! But to add on, what style would be best for me to practice with in preparation? I know the crossmens DMs have a very simple way they conduct, whereas others are more complex and "showy". Would all that directly relate to the corps I'm auditions for, or..?

Thanks everyone, your all an amazing resource! But to add on, what style would be best for me to practice with in preparation? I know the crossmens DMs have a very simple way they conduct, whereas others are more complex and "showy". Would all that directly relate to the corps I'm auditions for, or..?

Floor, door, window, ceiling. There; you've got the basics of conducting down, at least in 4/4. If you try to emulate a particular style, you'll set yourself up for failure. Corps staffs will teach you what you would need to know if they see promise in you. However, the fact that you've stated an interest in practicing some particular style in preparation to audition as a drum major may lead folks to believe you didn't take to heart the most important elements of some comments. Good luck convincing your fellow marchers in Music City that you already don't have one foot out the door more than three months before the season starts.

Edited by Michael Boo

It's good to be aware of that style - however, conducting auditions are to show off what you can do as a conductor to best help the ensemble play well. That's the goal of any conductor (and DM) - show off what you are capable of and then they'll teach you what their style is. There is something to be said for loyalty, however. Especially before you even start marching at all.

As a student teacher (age 39)...I was told after an observation...."I like how you use the entire 'easel' when you conduct." I still do that today!