The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

I've had the thrill of traveling to DATR on several occassions with The Academy, the last time in 2014, and Without, including World finals. It's my second favorite venue just behind Madison's Camp Randall, which for me is "Drum Corps Heaven". When I go to DATR I've purchased the VIP ticket in the press box. Terrific hospitality, food and awesome seats well worth the $75.00 I believe I paid for the ticket in the past?! Was thrilled to see THE ACADEMY last night, July 5th, at "Drums Across the Desert" in Mesa, AZ. Despite the loss of their on board computer in the pit, loosing the shows narration and multiple music samples, they still managed to increase their score by a full point to 67.4 coming in second the Madison Scouts, but placing First in music! Pacific Crest placed third with a 60.3. In Open Class the Watchmen scored a 49.600

• Like 1

Pasadena was my wife's first drum corps show. Hands down, her favorite corps of the night was Academy. I too was impressed - reminded me of the strength they carried a decade ago when I first saw them making a name in Div. 2. Can't wait to see what they do this season!

One of the people sitting in front of us in Riverside felt the same way; she that Academy was the "best". She was an old school guard person who marched in the 70s.

• Like 2

One of the people sitting in front of us in Riverside felt the same way; she that Academy was the "best". She was an old school guard person who marched in the 70s.

I went to riverside and took 12 non drum corps people with me. On a personal level, I enjoyed the Academy the most. Most agreed that the blue devils had the best performers/skill demand, but about 6 or so said they liked Academy the best - 5 without hesitation and 1 going back and forth between BD. The rest were blue devils fans. It should be noted that 4 from the group were out getting dinner during Academy's show. lol. Do the math there.

• Like 3

I forgot to add my 4 year old son LOVED the Academy! He was able to follow the story line, was engaged and was full of whispered questions during the show.

"Is she...(long pause) dead? Are they not going to get married now?"

"Are those black ones bad?"

"THEY ARE DANCING WITH HER!"

"Those silly skeletons. HOW ARE THEY DOING THAT!"

" Why did they lay down? did they die too?"

• Like 5

I hope the Academy makes finals. I haven't gotten to see their show but it's obviously pretty good.

• Like 1

I forgot to add my 4 year old son LOVED the Academy! He was able to follow the story line, was engaged and was full of whispered questions during the show.

"Is she...(long pause) dead? Are they not going to get married now?"

"Are those black ones bad?"

"THEY ARE DANCING WITH HER!"

"Those silly skeletons. HOW ARE THEY DOING THAT!"

" Why did they lay down? did they die too?"

My heart was so touched by the sweet innocence of your 4 year old son's questions. "those silly skeletons. HOW ARE THEY DOING THAT!" I along with the entire "Academy Family" is going to love reading this. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Finally listened/watched a good recording of the show. WOW.

There are some world class finalist corps that could learn a thing or two about show design from the design team of this corps. Phenomenal field coverage, excellent staging, perfect impact points, great pacing of the show, and an easy to follow storyline (even a 4 year old can follow it!).

I found the music to be really enjoyable (that first hit is crazy), the pit did a great job in transitioning the corps from one set piece to another, and the drumline actually complemented the corps really well rather than sticking out.

I'm honestly going to be disappointed if they don't make finals this year.

• Like 5

Their head to head match up with Blue Stars this weekend will tell us a lot if Academy is ready to take the next step. Personally i think they are. But Blue Stars are no joke.

• Like 3