The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

I think they do a great job of teaching and building, and probably accept the fact that many of their members will move on to elite corps like the Blue Devils. That said, their shows of late are so entertaining that perhaps more members will want to stay.

A few years back they actually did get a ton of criticism on DCP for not having as full a schedule as other corps, but that was mostly from a few hysterical honks who were afraid they would knock their favorite corps out of finals.

Some people all but called them cheaters (you'd think they were deflating footballs) or suggested they were lazy. When I pointed out that they practice in 115 degree heat, some lady lectured me that she knew all about heat because she lived in Ohio and got a sunburn one time.

Too much emphasis on placement seems to make people irrational, so I'm kind of glad they aren't like that.

I will be happy if they are in the top 15 so I can see them at the theater. And entertaining shows in the theaters are good for DCI.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3

Age-wise, I've heard they have tended to be a young corps. I imagine it's hard to keep experienced, talented kids from jumping to SCV and BD.

A few years back a similar thread appeared, and difficulty in keeping veterans was considered a key factor. What's too bad is many who march with Academy sing praises about the experience, but not making finals yet has made many seek other corps. This is not just an Academy problem. Based on conversations I have had it has happened with Colts, Surf, and Spirit, and my guess with other corps too. Many are saying this could be the year, though I think we need to see more shows and scores to make that determination, but if it should not happen, I hope veterans will march again, because this is probably the only way Academy will move ahead. If the do place in the top 12, retaining veterans will be easier.

This is their main problem. Retention. While I know there were a lot of vets who stayed 10 years ago, I also know a lot of them went on to other corps. A lot of people who have marched at The Academy simply used it as a stepping stone to BD, SCV, etc. Also, you have to remember that they're still a relatively new corps. This year is 12 years since their first ever DCI show, and 10 years since their Division 2 Championship.

In my opinion, this is the first year that the brass has a finalist-caliber power in their sound. Also, their design has just recently picked up in a major way in the last few years, and they haven't had that "sparkly clean" show yet. This could definitely become one.

Agree. But i remember seeing them live in 2007 and thought they would breakthrough to finals. They came close finishing 13th, one point behind a good Spirit Of Atlanta show.

• Like 1

I think the negative posts prize now goes to Cadets, but there is a key difference. Blue Devils could not care less about what people think, whereas Cadets fans and alums are usually very quick to not only stomp on critiques, but even if you sing the praises of Cadets, and it doesn't agree with these folks, you may get stomped on. This is loyalty, and you can't fault them for it.

I personally think that Phantom Regiment gets far more criticism on here than what I see at the shows in which they are in performance the last few years. Cadets too. But BD gets the most. That goes with the territory of such complete domination of the activity however. But I do agree with you that some people do get their feathers ruffled way too easily by what other posters might opine on. They should just learn to shrug it off.. laugh it off, imo. Marchers & staffers away from this site sometimes chuckle at what is sometimes expressed on here. Thats a healthy and proper response we all can learn from on here, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I've been a huge fan since 2010 and follow them pretty closely every year, if that qualifies.

I'd say they have lacked the polish, depth, and difficulty of the Troopers and Colts in terms of season longevity. I think they have a vehicle with ramped up difficulty and performance quality quite a bit, so I'm not sure if I see that being an issue this year. Paired with a very well designed show in all regards, boom. That's why they're doing so well.

I absolutely loved last year, but they definitely had that thing maxed out by about Allentown. Troopers and Colts still had a bunch of gas left in the tank. 2014 they were rebounding off of a relatively weak 2013.

They've really developed their guard program in recent years, in their 09 - 12 run that and visual dirt kept them from breaking out of the 14th/15th rut they were in those years.

They've always had really strong brass and percussion, and starting in 2014 when they picked up Michael Klesch as their arranger, that's when their ascent started.

I agree with drum man on his thoughts concerning the rise of Academy. 2014 was a turnaround year for the drum corps. The hiring of Michael Klesch to write the music and Michael Townsend as the program designer/artistic director, has been a home run! Townsend is the guard caption head/designer at Crown where he and Klesch have been together since 2003. I'd say they know how to put a show or 2 or 3 together. It actually reminds me of crown in many ways as they began ascending. Super accessible concepts, ideas and music. What a novel idea! ;-) The past 3 years have been following a similiar approach. And it seems to be working. If you want to build your drum corps, get the crowd on your side.

I think there are some current top 12 corps that would put a "corpse" or two in the ground for that pairing, and that level of programming. I think this show will surprise everyone by years end. The thing I wonder is, how long can something like that work? Obviously the academy and crown aren't realistic competitors at this point, so I can see how there isn't a conflict. But at what point does it become one?

Agree. But i remember seeing them live in 2007 and thought they would breakthrough to finals. They came close finishing 13th, one point behind a good Spirit Of Atlanta show.

I constantly wonder how different every year since 07 would have been for Academy if they'd made finals that year.

• Like 2

I constantly wonder how different every year since 07 would have been for Academy if they'd made finals that year.

Yea that 07 show is forgotten and overlooked. SOA earned that finals spot but it was a bummer to see Academy left out.

Edited by Chief Guns

Yea that 07 show is forgotten and overlooked. SOA earned that that finals spot but it was a bummer to see Academy left out.

If I remember right the guard was dead last in prelims AND semis. That undoubtedly bled into visual and GE.

I listen to that show quite a bit. Think they had a steel drum. Fun show!

• Like 1

I personally think that Phantom Regiment gets far more criticism on here than what I see at the shows in which they are in performance the last few years. Cadets too. But BD gets the most. That goes with the territory of such complete domination of the activity however. But I do agree with you that some people do get their feathers ruffled way too easily by what other posters might opine on. They should just learn to shrug it off.. laugh it off, imo. Marchers & staffers away from this site sometimes chuckle at what is sometimes expressed on here. Thats a healthy and proper response we all can learn from on here, imo.

I guess I disagree.

I think Blue Devils get relatively little criticism, but all of the criticism is the same.

BD keeps their ranks closed pretty tight, and they have a show production system that is air tight. Their show concepts require a set process of production that they follow lock step. They tweak here and there, but very rarely do they just flat out screw something up. But that is sort of the beauty of their way of doing things.

Some people don't care for their way of producing content, though no one is really going to argue against their talent and success. When you follow such a tight script, you make few mistakes, so you pretty much avoid criticism—and that in and of itself is the major critique of their system.

Edited by MikeRapp

I agree with drum man on his thoughts concerning the rise of Academy. 2014 was a turnaround year for the drum corps. The hiring of Michael Klesch to write the music and Michael Townsend as the program designer/artistic director, has been a home run! Townsend is the guard caption head/designer at Crown where he and Klesch have been together since 2003. I'd say they know how to put a show or 2 or 3 together. It actually reminds me of crown in many ways as they began ascending. Super accessible concepts, ideas and music. What a novel idea! ;-) The past 3 years have been following a similiar approach. And it seems to be working. If you want to build your drum corps, get the crowd on your side.

I think there are some current top 12 corps that would put a "corpse" or two in the ground for that pairing, and that level of programming. I think this show will surprise everyone by years end. The thing I wonder is, how long can something like that work? Obviously the academy and crown aren't realistic competitors at this point, so I can see how there isn't a conflict. But at what point does it become one?

On your comparison of them with Crown, it's not only the Klesch connection, but they rehearse very similarly and warm up for shows very similarly. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are design people other than Klesch who work with both corps.