Good corps for my rookie year? 2017

I want to put a fine point on the idea of going for your dream corps and having a fall-back lower-tier corps just in case... Let's be realistic ...

Excellent summation and advice.

With respect to the physical demand issue... Anybody who has been there knows that you will be conditioned to handle the program. It's a non-issue.

With respect to you, it is an issue. I know someone personally who in the past few years made a WC, not an OC, but a WC corps (which will remain nameless for many reasons). While the corps did have qualified medical personnel this person was pushed by the marching staff, not trained and conditioned, but pushed into over exerting their capabilities with a heavy-weight instrument during auditions and subsequent camps and blew out a spinal disc as a result. So, it is imperative for performers to look out for their own conditioning prior to auditioning for any corps which demands 200bpm motion at 12-hour per day rehearsals while carrying large heavy objects.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Part of drumcorps is pushing yourself beyond what you think you can do. Go for the team that you want. If it doesn't work out this year you'll gain valuable insight as to what you need to do to get there for next year. Also I bet the Couchmen would take you long after the audition process is over.

I've never held a marching Euph or Contra ... I'm only 109 pounds, marching season in high school takes quite a lot out of me every year, it pummels me frankly. I can only imagine what marching a corps would do to me.

When you specifically say "Euph or Contra" - does that mean you marched baritone in school? or just trombone?

Visual impressions are quick and easy to make from a distance at auditions, before they are able to evaluate your musical ability, and if it looks like you are struggling to even hold up your horn, that is going to be huge disadvantage for you to overcome. You're confident in your musical ability - you've probably put a lot of time into practicing, maybe lessons, etc. Make sure you start putting the time into the physical side of things as well, if you want to march at a high level.

• Like 1

It's awesome to have high goals, but remember to stay realistic. The competition for top corps spots is intense, and unless you are some sort of marching music prodigy, you're more likely to not receive a contract offer with no prior experience.

And don't think for a second that marching with an Open Class corps or a "less prestigious" World Class corps is waste of time or effort. Though some see these as "stepping stones," you'd be surprised to find out how many people start off thinking that way and then fall in love with where they are, spending their entire DCI career with one corps. If you're from Tennessee and travel costs may be a concern, look at some of these corps:

World Class:

- Colts (Scott Whitford is the new brass caption head this year and is a phenomenal instructor and talent)

- Blue Stars (top-notch organization with auditions in Indianapolis)

Open Class:

- Music City (you already mentioned them, and having people you already know in the corps is fantastic)

- Legends (Ibe Sodowalla is the corps director, and a wonderful person overall)

If you have any concerns, send an email to one or more staff members at these corps or others you're interested in. They usually are extremely helpful and understanding of the decisions you're facing.

No matter what you end up doing, good luck and we'll hopefully see you on the field next summer!

Edited by Shempy
  • Like 1

With respect to you, it is an issue. I know someone personally who in the past few years made a WC, not an OC, but a WC corps (which will remain nameless for many reasons). While the corps did have qualified medical personnel this person was pushed by the marching staff, not trained and conditioned, but pushed into over exerting their capabilities with a heavy-weight instrument during auditions and subsequent camps and blew out a spinal disc as a result. So, it is imperative for performers to look out for their own conditioning prior to auditioning for any corps which demands 200bpm motion at 12-hour per day rehearsals while carrying large heavy objects.

Your point is no different for drumcorps that it would be for any physical sport or activity. There is risk in marching in a DCI corps, just as there is in playing a sport. Jr. high kids are blowing out joints left and right these days in scholastic sports programs (it's a sad truth... that probably shouldn't be). The staff will push you to do anything that you are willing to do. But nobody (I'm sure there are some jerks out there... but in general) will demean you (not to my knowledge) when you tell them "ouch, something isn't right here... I think I have a problem". This type of thing is NOT typical.

I'm just not into loading up a kid with the idea that the deck is somehow stacked against them (although I suppose that doing so may somehow make me seem superior and mighty, having been through it) and that great drumcorps programs require members to come with mastery already in hand. If this were the case, then these WC groups would not have the enormous staff to member ratios that they have. Kids are there to be taught. So go get taught. Don't cut yourself and don't buy into the idea that marching prodigies (I'm not sure that I even know what a 'marching prodigy' is) make up any percentage of these great organizations (although collegiate music majors ARE an increasing percentage).

The greatest concern going in is 1. can you play well, and 2. can you reasonably move uninhibited like the average person. I'm not saying that it isn't an acceptable idea to check out and open class group, or get your start in a DCA program... I'm just saying that there is no reason to assume that you MUST or SHOULD take those options first. It just isn't true, and it isn't even a 'realistic' assumption. Let them cut you. Don't let people on this board cut you... or slot you... and certainly don't cut yourself. Most of the people who don't 'get in' actually just choose not to return to the next camp. They find that it isn't what they expected, which may be the case for you... but ya don't know 'till ya go.

Your point is no different for drumcorps that it would be for any physical sport or activity. There is risk in marching in a DCI corps, just as there is in playing a sport. Jr. high kids are blowing out joints left and right these days in scholastic sports programs (it's a sad truth... that probably shouldn't be).

There is a difference, though. Almost every sport in America, be it through school or independent rec leagues or what have you, are at some extent gov't regulated into having medical and safety protocols and safeguards.

Because certain activities that are in fact incredibly physically demanding (see drum corps, competitive cheerleading, etc) are not classified as "sports," there's less regulation for safety. There's a very entertaining and illuminating look at this in the Penn & Teller series "Bullsh#t," focusing on cheerleading and how the young participants get a raw deal when it comes to these kind of things.

This isn't an indictment of any staff or organization, but rather pointing out the different structures in place in dealing with injuries in these youth activities.

This may be long and/or a repeat of a couple other posts, and is just one dad's perspective, but hopefully will be of some use.

Our son got the marching arts itch as soon as he started marching in HS. It probably helped that our school hosted a WC corps for a local show they competed in but even before that I’d taken him to a couple of shows and he thought they were cool.

He got it in his head to audition for a local WC corps and almost backed out. After discussing with him that you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take he went and sent my wife and me the best text we’ve ever received – “Thank you for encouraging me to attend, I love you both.” Would like to report with that as a setup for a Hollywood ending he was offered a contract but alas, it didn’t go well in terms of results. For a roadmap going forward it couldn’t have turned out better.

In short, he got lessons, did the work, got himself in shape, went back to the same corps to audition the next year and….didn’t get a contract (though he was called back!). He also auditioned for an OC corps and was offered an alternate slot but decided instead to march DCA (contrary to Garfield's experience with his son, the Director of the WC corps encouraged those not offered a contract to march in a couple of DCA corps). He had to audition for them as well, was offered a contract, and ended up marching two wonderful years learning all there is to know about marching, musical technique (and that they differ from corps to corps), physical preparedness, how to get along with a group of people you don’t know, and how to swear proficiently (hey, not all lessons learned are gems).

Flash forward to this past winter and he had his sights set on one WC corps and one only. He did the prep work, sent in his videos, incorporated the feedback, and did the audition. As we parents were waiting for the show-and-tell on Sunday he sat down next to me, looked at me sideways, and said “contract baby.”

Now we sit at home hoping to see him in pictures posted and cannot wait until tour brings him around (we’re probably not volunteering because we want this to be his experience and about him, but I’m already wavering on that because I love him and the activity). So, in summary:

Be prepared – this includes physically and musically. If you don't know what's expected at a particular camp then ask. Asking, rather than assuming, is mature and ensures you have a leg up on a lot of the competition (because most people don't ask).

Experience is a great teacher – if you’re not ready for WC, try OC. If not OC try DCA. There are valuable lessons to be learned wherever and they all translate (plus corps like seeing you with marching experience outside of HS/college). The biggest fear is often of the unknown. Once you show up you’ve already beaten 90% of the folks who couldn’t even make it that far. As others have said, just try!

Be open – no two corps are alike regardless of WC/OC/DCA. Each has its own traditions, techniques, and expectations. Learn them while there, participate in them, enjoy them, and get ready to learn whatever is next if you decide to move on to a different group.

I’m excited to see how this season turns out to be for him and us. The journey was not a straight one (he’s a plugger in terms of musical ability – can get there with practice/persistence – but did not stand out as such in HS) but by being open to new experiences, shifting sights a bit to get the experience needed, and putting in a ton of sweat equity he was able to realize a dream this year.

Edited by Rufus67
  • Like 3

There is a difference, though. Almost every sport in America, be it through school or independent rec leagues or what have you, are at some extent gov't regulated into having medical and safety protocols and safeguards.

Because certain activities that are in fact incredibly physically demanding (see drum corps, competitive cheerleading, etc) are not classified as "sports," there's less regulation for safety. There's a very entertaining and illuminating look at this in the Penn & Teller series "Bullsh#t," focusing on cheerleading and how the young participants get a raw deal when it comes to these kind of things.

This isn't an indictment of any staff or organization, but rather pointing out the different structures in place in dealing with injuries in these youth activities.

I completely appreciate your point. But I think we are straying from the mother ship a bit. I think the OP just needs to work out of his method book of choice on scales and slur patterns, keep an average level of health and go to camp number 1 at any group of his choosing... leaving out no options.

To your point, however, I would speculate that you would run into a more systemic problem like what you are referring to in the 'lower level' organizations rather than the ones that have a lot riding on having healthy kids and no holes (I know that you know someone who had a bad experience, I don't discount that).

For the benefit of the OP

My experience, and the experience of many (which was long ago... but not THAT long ago) in the corps looked like this:

Audition Camps:

-We were fed

-We were put to bed with a strict lights out and about 8 or 9 hours of sleep.

-We did a little bit of basics block teaching/learning (at no particular time of the day). The visual staff took note of outliers and improvements as we were taught.

-We played... a lot... in ensemble arc formation... maintaining proper posture... moving in ripples

-We learned the technical elements of the program (series of warm-ups, a few ballads, some encore material... and maybe a little bit from the show).

-We ended camp with a community show-and-tell performance, usually only on the supplementary material.

-We auditioned one at a time through the course of the camp with the musical caption heads (this is the most critical element of choosing to keep someone). They didn't cut or sign anyone right away. They listened, asked us to try different interpretations on the camp material. Asked for a few typical band-key type major scales.

-Eventually we were called out one at a time at subsequent camps to meet with the program director and be offered a spot or not.

When we moved in:

-We were WELL fed

-We were put to bed with a strict lights out and about 8 or 9 hours of sleep (most every night).

-We started the day with stretching and a little running.

-The order of rehearsal was progressive and slow through the course of the day (Basics first, visual field checks next, slow sectional warm-up next, sectional/subsectional rehearsals to follow, and then ensemble rehearsal in the late afternoon/evening where you play and march -sometimes playing full out, sometimes not-... usually with a full run at the end.)

By the time you get to the "hard stuff"... you are already committed and chosen.

I love that Penn & Teller series btw.

• Like 1

I want to put a fine point on the idea of going for your dream corps and having a fall-back lower-tier corps just in case... Let's be realistic.

[...]

One of the best posts I've seen on these forums. So much good information there.