How fair is it?

While IMO it IS impossible to judge a corps' performance from two different judges/shows, analyzing recaps still makes for a fascinating exercise. While show dynamic does indeed play a LOT into scores, the sheets ARE still the same from night-night, location-location, etc. Not like BITD when DCM had different sheets and you knew going from DCE to DCM there was going to be a substantial shift in score-numbers.

With the HUGE caveat of not knowing individual captions, and only knowing over-all Captions...

Blue Devils seem to have pretty significant advantage in GE compared to the rest of the Western-competing corps: a full point+ over #2 SCV. Visual they had a .65 spread over #2, while Music seemed very close.

Bluecoats won GE by .8 which is also a strong margin: they lost Vis. by .25, and lost music by .05.

This COULD maybe possibly mean Bluecoats are hot out of the gate, but are possibly catchable once shows are finished/effects stuff added, clean, etc.
BD dominated in the west, as is typical, but SCV were 5th last year which doesn't amount to much when compared this year: no other Top 6 corps between BD and SCV might not also reflect a legit spread when everyone is in the mix.

Again, I REALLY wish we knew the full story: do we even know what captions may have been unjudged the last few nights: i.e. maybe no percussion, lacking vis. judges, etc? That could also be telling in the sense that IF there was no perc judge Thursday than maybe that explains why the Music Caption was close in favor of Crown, while a perc judge might've mean a convincing Bluecoats win in music. I personally have no idea at this point about any of that stuff.

And again, I'm not saying one is better than the other, just merely what the two recaps say about where each corps is comparison to its competition (which, was between 2015 #1 vs #5; and 2015 #3 beating #2).

Regardless I love Bluecoats show for the most part, and look forward to seeing what happens down the stretch!

Do we crown them as Emperor? In their new clothes?

Crown them with many crowns.

I think we should crown Coats now and just have an exhibition season.

Let's do it.

The only thing you can take awsy from a show is ranking and spread in that particular show. Period, If BD is first and second is SCV in a given show, the gap may be smaller vs if judges may need to put 2 or 3 other corps in between. I think we can see some very preliminary "groupings" (Bloo, Crown, BD) (SCV, Cadets, Cavies) at this early stage but different stages of clean, show development will most likely change these groupings within the next 1-2 weeks. IMO

Scores will change all season. Each section of a corps can only be compared to their best competitor for the night. Scores will vary from show to show based on who's judging, who is in the show and how good their competition is, how well the marching members actually perform that night, what changes were made in rehearsal, and more.

The Phantom Regiment everyone saw in Indy (or at the theaters) on Thursday is not the one we will see tonight in Massillon. Because they started rough and dirty, they also have plenty of room for cleaning, fixing, and upward movement in scores.

So Bluecoats won with 69.somethin on Thursday and on Friday Blue Devils won with a 68.somethin. I know judging is different at different venues, but it would make sense that the harsher judges would be at the bigger event (in this case Thursday). So is it fair to say Bluecoats are definitively on top right now? (Love their show by the way)

Your assumption is totally wrong. You just cannot compare scores from across the country. Who knows, if BD was at the opening show they could have been on top of Bluecoats by more than a point, or they could have been in 4 place. You can get a bit of an idea once the corps have faced some of the same competition and look at spreads.

With glorious, glorious, blissful heaven?!?!!!!!

(yes, I'm originally from Cleveland and ELATED, EXUBERANT, excited: as if the world has righted itself from the past 50+ years)

Many congrats, Perc.

As was the case with the Golden State Warriors...and look where that ended up.

You are stone cold, my friend. :silly:

• Like 1

You are stone cold, my friend. :silly:

I've been called far, far worse, Sandonovan. Believe me. :colgate:

• Like 1