Apple has joined the copyright fight

Just wanted to bring this topic up since we talk about stuff like this all the time. Apple (the company, not the fruit) has introduced a patent that could prevent concertgoers from recording at concerts, mainly to prevent copyright violations.

http://pitchfork.com/news/66471-apple-patents-technology-that-could-prevent-you-from-filming-taking-photos-at-concerts/

Is it possible that it may affect how we view DCI shows on the web? I think they mentioned movie theaters as well, so maybe we won't be able to record the live broadcasts, but who knows?

Oops.

Mods, please somehow fix the title. It's very misleading.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

Hmmm ... Couldn't you just block the infrared sensor? If it was a radio signal, that would be different. I'm sure those smart folks at Apple have already thought of this.

Just wanted to bring this topic up since we talk about stuff like this all the time. Apple (the company, not the fruit) has introduced a patent that could prevent concertgoers from recording at concerts, mainly to prevent copyright violations.

http://pitchfork.com/news/66471-apple-patents-technology-that-could-prevent-you-from-filming-taking-photos-at-concerts/

Is it possible that it may affect how we view DCI shows on the web? I think they mentioned movie theaters as well, so maybe we won't be able to record the live broadcasts, but who knows?

Simple solution, don't buy Apple phones.

• Like 3

The patent does not prevent concertgoer a from recording anything.

The technology could prevent concertgoer a from filming things but only if their phone or camera is equipped with it.

So if they ever implement it on a future iPhone that you want, hold onto your old phone. Now it will be useful as more than just a calculator.

Companies like Apple and Google have patents on the craziest #### imaginable. Doesn't mean those patents will be used.

A lot of the time companies simply hold onto patents so that other companies have to pay the idea-holder money to use it. For all we know, Apple could have filed the patent so that other companies end up not being able to use it.

Seriously though, there's a lot of patents out there, not nearly close to all of them get used.

I'm pretty invested in the Apple ecosystem so I guess I come off as a fanboy, but if this does actually end up happening in the future, switch to android. Simple.