anyone out west?

The better half is at the Rose Bowl. Trying to post some pics. I don't know how long she can stay, but PC is doing the encore, so she probably won't have to leave until after that.

It's been 6 days since BD's last show. Hope they've worked enough to gain 6 points tonight.

Do it up Devs!!!

Sorry, trying to enjoy the shows.

I'll be in Riverside tomorrow too. We get so few shows out here that we try to enjoy them and I try to not be tethered to technology all the time. Hopefully someone else will post more there.

Sorry, trying to enjoy the shows.

I'll be in Riverside tomorrow too. We get so few shows out here that we try to enjoy them and I try to not be tethered to technology all the time. Hopefully someone else will post more there.

Sorry I'll miss you, Buckeye. But the _Kid will be there with JohnD and John Jr. so see if you can spot them in the lot. The _Kid will have his backpack on and be video-blogging his brains out...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

BD with a 75.5

Thoughts on the show (from what I remember...getting tired)

Golden Empire: Solid in all sections. Nice brass sound, although it didn't project very well to my seats (about halfway up, Side 1 45 yard line in the BD section). Amazing size for such a young corps.

Watchmen: Needs a good deal of work, but potential is there....battery tended to drown the brass at times, since the brass ,line is somewhat small.

Incognito: I'll be honest...it was painfully bad. tiny horn line absolutely buried by a drum line FAR too large for it, and a musical book far above the ability of the kids to perform...have seen this time and again with small corps. I understand the large battery was probably because of the need to reach DCI's minimum size...but the staff of not doing these kids ANY favors. Here's a hint...stop trying to play music you need a good sized brass lien to play...start picking stuff for a tiny ensemble that they can actually pull off. This is like Jester all over again...but worse. The only good thing I can say is that the kids tried their best.

Impulse....some good solid moments, but that's all that sticks out right now. However, narration did NOT help at all....totally worthless...almost Cadets 07 bad..

Gold: Solid brass line as always...first glimpses of some power in the brass line.

Intermission and the Freelancers Alums....playing all BD music! We in the BD section were MOST pleased! Well performed and fun!

Mandarins: The first truly solid corps after Golden Empire...started having trouble deciding where to look, which means the programming is picking up. First really loud line that projected.

Academy: DEAR GOD, PLEASE MAKE FINALS WITH THIS SHOW!! Fantastic from top to bottom...fave of the night. Top shelf programming and performance....brass parted my hair a few times.

Pacific Crest: Solid, not as loud or impactful as Academy, tho. Storyline easy to follow.

Madison: Hard to live in the shadow of the 99 show, but pulled it off well.

Blue Knights: What did I just watch?? Like a bit of performance art...an art form which I find really pretentious. Lost me early on.

Blue Devils: Awwww yeah! Spectacular for JUNE...definitely a contender as always)

Really fading now...g'night.

• Like 3

BD with a 75.5

Thoughts on the show (from what I remember...getting tired)

Golden Empire: Solid in all sections. Nice brass sound, although it didn't project very well to my seats (about halfway up, Side 1 45 yard line in the BD section). Amazing size for such a young corps.

Watchmen: Needs a good deal of work, but potential is there....battery tended to drown the brass at times, since the brass ,line is somewhat small.

Incognito: I'll be honest...it was painfully bad. tiny horn line absolutely buried by a drum line FAR too large for it, and a musical book far above the ability of the kids to perform...have seen this time and again with small corps. I understand the large battery was probably because of the need to reach DCI's minimum size...but the staff of not doing these kids ANY favors. Here's a hint...stop trying to play music you need a good sized brass lien to play...start picking stuff for a tiny ensemble that they can actually pull off. This is like Jester all over again...but worse. The only good thing I can say is that the kids tried their best.

Impulse....some good solid moments, but that's all that sticks out right now. However, narration did NOT help at all....totally worthless...almost Cadets 07 bad..

Gold: Solid brass line as always...first glimpses of some power in the brass line.

Intermission and the Freelancers Alums....playing all BD music! We in the BD section were MOST pleased! Well performed and fun!

Mandarins: The first truly solid corps after Golden Empire...started having trouble deciding where to look, which means the programming is picking up. First really loud line that projected.

Academy: DEAR GOD, PLEASE MAKE FINALS WITH THIS SHOW!! Fantastic from top to bottom...fave of the night. Top shelf programming and performance....brass parted my hair a few times.

Pacific Crest: Solid, not as loud or impactful as Academy, tho. Storyline easy to follow.

Madison: Hard to live in the shadow of the 99 show, but pulled it off well.

Blue Knights: What did I just watch?? Like a bit of performance art...an art form which I find really pretentious. Lost me early on.

Blue Devils: Awwww yeah! Spectacular for JUNE...definitely a contender as always)

Really fading now...g'night.

Thanks for this review! Really helps those of us out in the midwest or east. My early read on Blue Devils (family day preview) was another monster show with fun music and their typical excellence in performance captions. I still think it's BD, Coats, and Crown as the contenders. But Cadets and Cavies, and I'm sure SCV, are going to make things interesting. All good for the activity.

I can't wait to see Academy. They had one of my favorite shows last year (Marry Poppins). Would love to see them make top 12. For me that has been the most competitive thing to watch in DCI over the last 10 or so years. The fight to get into the top 12 is unreal. Places 10 - 15 or 16 is often a dogfight.

...BD is the most colorful I've ever seen, in a pastel, very tasty, kinda way. Oh, they play too...heh. I *really* like Madison's charts, but the feet leave much to be desired; I was cringing at times. But the show is definitely cool, no doubt. BK is mysterious and compelling...I love that they push the boundaries, horns are monster as that staff has produced over and over, drums are way good and the writing is solid, visual is...ah...heh...I dunno! Shame they can't get the whole thing on the field for us on the west coast, really a huge staff/programming tick. Academy is the real deal and VERY entertaining...horns knocked me out at times, love Ike's drum parts...like always for me at this stage of year, being on the sidelines with a viewfinder in front of me most of the time, I don't really *know* what's going on out there; of course I know my specialty and some of the musical end of it, but shows in general I get lost easily. Can't wait to see this stuff high and dry!

My Daughter is in BKCG. Hoping to get some news

They are looking beautiful and performance at the Rose Bowl went very well..! Congrats to your daughter

• Like 1