What happened?

i feel like crown is so amazing this year. low brass to die for, and a killer (pun intended) show concept

cohen's hallelujah is such an opportunity for a power ballad, and klesch is a genius. i know the show is supposed to mimic spaghetti westerns and the revenge, revenge, revenge idea that always drives them. but the funeral scene could be so great with a bigger, meatier rendition of hallelujah. the conflict between the need for revenge and reverence to god/deity as the ultimate judge is something that could really add emotional weight to the show, and the music screams for it, but it's never quite realized for me.

sorry for rambling, but i'm enjoying some wine tonight for the first time in a long time.

• Like 2

i feel like crown is so amazing this year. low brass to die for, and a killer (pun intended) show concept

cohen's hallelujah is such an opportunity for a power ballad, and klesch is a genius. i know the show is supposed to mimic spaghetti westerns and the revenge, revenge, revenge idea that always drives them. but the funeral scene could be so great with a bigger, meatier rendition of hallelujah. the conflict between the need for revenge and reverence to god/deity as the ultimate judge is something that could really add emotional weight to the show, and the music screams for it, but it's never quite realized for me.

sorry for rambling, but i'm enjoying some wine tonight for the first time in a long time.

I believe the last time crown had a good ballad was "the abyss" in 2013. Mello and trumpet duet with the voice over killed me.

Been around DCI since the mid 70s. The ballads Bluecoats have done the last 3 years have been nothing short of OUTSTANDING!

(Thank you Doug Thrower) and I certainly don't mean to imply they've been alone. BD ballad last year was KILLER!!!

As for "blow your chops moments"...I think I know what you mean and I'll again go to Bluecoats THIS YEAR. There are so many great moments in this show that harken to DCI's "golden age of screamers and in your face" (Thank you Doug Thrower)

• Like 2

I agree that Hallelujah for Crown could have been done SOOOOO much better. I loved Crossmen 2011's version of it, and when Crown announced it, I was hyped hoping for something even better. But alas...it's a let down for me.

I think that Earth Song from Crossmen 2012 and Creep from Bluecoats 2011 could fit into this vein, but they were both done as openers (and darn good ones, too!)

• Like 3

Phantom's "I'm a Dreaming of Home" has gave me goosebumps in Chestnut Hill, Lynn, and Cranston.

• Like 1

I know this wasn't in the "ballad" section, but Crossmen's 2012 show began with a ballad-y quiet Earth Song that turned into some major jazzy power at the end of it. One of my favorite moments of that year.

• Like 4

Academy's closer is basically a big power ballad, right?

• Like 2