What happened?

obviously, there are a lot of dci fans who love chopped up ballads

i'm going to pop in 99 BK...seriously underrated, and one of my favorite ballads in dci history

Whole show for that matter.

I can listen to it for days. Great drill. Amazing color palette. And one of my favorite drum books from the 90s.

GREAT show.

Edited by DrumManTx

I disagree.

2011: Cadets, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders

2012: Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, Cadets, Santa Clara Vanguard, Bluecoats

2013: Carolina Crown, Santa Clara Vanguard, Boston Crusaders

2014: Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, Blue Knights, Blue Stars

2015: Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, Boston Crusaders

I'm not quite familiar with all the 2016 shows but from what I've heard: Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Phantom, Santa Clara Vanguard, Academy, Troopers (I count fix you as a ballad), Cadets

I may have missed some so no one jump on my throat, I just did this off of memory. These ballads may not be your style, but they were fully realized ballads that developed well without mashing a bunch of things into them.

Yes, those are wonderful fully developed ballads, but are any of them power ballads, the kind of which the OP laments? Being a product of the 70's, I think of Madison's Brian's Song or Way We Were, or BD's Chase the Clouds Away, or even SCV's Send in the Clowns. Have there been recent tractor-pulling ballads like those in recent history?

Yes, those are wonderful fully developed ballads, but are any of them power ballads, the kind of which the OP laments? Being a product of the 70's, I think of Madison's Brian's Song or Way We Were, or BD's Chase the Clouds Away, or even SCV's Send in the Clowns. Have there been recent tractor-pulling ballads like those in recent history?

1. The post I responded to wasn't OP

2. The conversation had shifted to fully developed ballads rather than power ballads

I wish Crossmen's "Koto Song" from 1993 ever got discussed...at all. Perfect example of what you're talking about: haunting, beautiful, almost ineffable, with an incredible build and climax. A full 2:30 that requires zero compromises in the musical ideas presented, each in full.

1. The post I responded to wasn't OP

2. The conversation had shifted to fully developed ballads rather than power ballads

I realize, and acknowledged you responded according to where the thread had evolved. I was trying to pull back the discussion to the OP's lament.

Colts closer was a power-ballad in 2007. Honestly the last one I can remember.

Blue Devils have a beautiful ballad this year which builds and is quite powerful. It gave me goosebumps, but everyone responds to things differently.

• Like 4

And a great arrangement by Will Pitts!

Actually, from what I was told by some of the band kids, the director handed the soloist the chords to the song and he wrote the solo himself. Don't know how true that is, but if so, cudos to him!

Actually, from what I was told by some of the band kids, the director handed the soloist the chords to the song and he wrote the solo himself. Don't know how true that is, but if so, cudos to him!

It's true. I'm friends with the Hebron drum majors and they confirmed it.

Edited by RPK
  • Like 1